PDA

View Full Version : Some food for thought on intake setups!

Rdevelopments
10-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Last saturday we finally where able to test the intake system on the Dyno. We ended the day with Mixed feelings… Did we make more hp / torque, yes we sure did (8,5 hp over a stock airbox with taitec (similar to downforce) scoop).. But the intake is far from ready! Background, we wanted a back to back comparison of various airbox types / scoop setups. We did 3 runs with every setup to make sure there where no “lucky runs”

The results:

1st run: 273 bhp (flywheel), Setup: Gruppe m air intake with stock scoop.
2nd run: 279 bhp (flywheel), Setup: Stock airbox, stock scoop.
3rd run: 281 bhp (flywheel), Setup: Stock airbox, big scoop.
4th run: 269 bhp (flywheel), Setup: R-dev intake, big scoop (This is the point where i was shockend, dissapointed etc etc. But hey thats what development is about. The only restriction we could think of was the filter.. Conclusion; remove filter.)
5th run: 287,5 bhp (flywheel), R-dev intake (without foam filter), big scoop..
We also tried putting extra fan’s around the scoop bellmouth, this had 0,0000 bhp effect…

Conclusion of the day:

1. The Honda engineers have done a pretty amazing job…
2. Every Company that sells the large scoop and claim 6 whp are talking “****”…
3. The design we came up with “works” but only without a filter element.. So really it’s a useless result.. But we are going to work on a different filter setup.

I can hear All Nsx Owners thinking, but i can feel the differance when i mount my “big scoop” And k&n / uni filter.. This shows that “sound” makes a bigger differance then bhp’s .. Why can you be Sure the results are real and unbiased.. Well quite simple, our “own” airbox design gave a Crappy result And i’m not ashamed to honestly tell it on the web.. (I’ve invested € 3k+ in this project so yes i’m dissapointed)

Whats next? Back to the drawing board! To be continued!

Before i forget, special thanks to Gerard And Dimer van Santen and Theo Berkvens for the help! And ofcourse Pieter Oonincx at www.dp-engineering.nl (http://www.dp-engineering.nl/) for the use of his Dyno and patience between the runs when we where changing the setups.

http://r-developments.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/1661222_659971397393443_15477698_n.jpg

http://r-developments.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/484878_10151895003666434_1195965435_n.jpg

nobby
10-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Interesting read and very decent of you to confirm your findings.

I think Kaz has stated in the past that making changes to the airbox is more cosmetic than actually increasing performance. His advice has always been to "stick with stock".

Rdevelopments
10-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Interesting read and very decent of you to confirm your findings.

I think Kaz has stated in the past that making changes to the airbox is more cosmetic than actually increasing performance. His advice has always been to "stick with stock".

Well i think we are on to something as the volume increase / velocity stack effect in front of the TB shows it works. We are going to run a new test asap with a different type of filter setup!

To be continued!

marco
10-02-2014, 02:42 PM
Nice honest work. Always appreciated.

goldtop
10-02-2014, 04:42 PM
I develop (other) stuff for a living, and it's an absolute rule: you learn more from making mistakes than you do by getting lucky first time.

Appreciate your honesty (I know the gut-sinking feeling when results on a new project don't g the way you want), and hope you make progress on the Mk2.

Senninha
10-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Interesting set of results.

We ran a b2b dyno day with ~10 different NSX including NA1 and NA2 variants, some stock, some modified.

FYI, the stock NA1 did a b2b test of standard airbox vs aftermarket. With the after market it LOST 3 hp thereby supporting Kaz' theory.

Best above stock was another NA1 that has headers, decat, aftermarket exhaust and airbox with scoop ... this showed >290hp

Highest results on the day were two NA2's, both with aftermarket exhausts, one with a/m airbox as well ... 301hp

As an observation ref the "All Nsx Owners thinking, but i can feel the differance", I would concur that when I was running only the exhaust, the car felt good. When I added the airbox it felt great. Swapping out to the CF airbox \ scoop also reduces weight with all the honda parts removed, so on the road it does 'feel' smoother. What was also noted on the dyno results was that by allowing the engine to suck as much as it needed to match the improved gas exit speed, it would rev more freely and reach max power almost 500rpm earlier. So whilst the combo added no measurable power on the dyno, it addd to the driving experience.

Good luck with the research!

regards, Paul

TheSebringOne
10-02-2014, 08:29 PM
I think everyone here appreciates your honesty & good luck in the research & development.