PDA

View Full Version : manual v f matic

Sennansx
21-02-2014, 09:09 PM
as some of you may know I am after a Honda nsx. In fact its been a dream car for many years and now I can buy one I want to make sure I get the right one for me.

I always wanted a manual but have seen one r two f matics...

my questions are, how good is the f matic gear change,

and will it be harder to sell at some point in the future?

would be good to hear from people who have driven both

thanks

havoc
21-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Not driven one to comment directly, but having watched 'the market' for a few years both before buying my manual, and since, the automatics ALL sit up for sale for longer, and are advertised at ~15-20%% less.

I'd also mention that the F-matic IS NOT a modern, responsive paddle-shift style auto. It's an old-school 4-speed torque converter auto (think the same as the early autos) with paddle-controls added. It's also got a different engine map because of the auto-box's characteristics, and loses ~20bhp vs the manual 3.0s.

By all means drive one, but unless you're planning to do a lot of town driving, or you cannot / will not drive a manual, or you specifically want the paddle-shift style of car (in which case I can think of better options than the NSX at £20k+), then I'd stick with a manual...the NSX manual shift is superb...not S2000 / Type-R wristy/rifle-bolt like, but still beautifully mechanical and precise.

Sennansx
21-02-2014, 11:30 PM
Thanks mate, think it will have to be a manual for me really

thelimpingwhippet
22-02-2014, 01:43 PM
If its to be your daily driver in town or city go for an auto +/- F matic. If not manual, especially if you are looking for an investment. I have driven both. The F-matic shift is a bit ponderous and not particularly smooth but still good fun and shifting a manual at +7000rpm can be equally fractious depending on driver skill.
Try as many as you can, although I appreciate that is not too easy

Sennansx
22-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Thanks guys, in all honesty I think I would be more comfortable with a manual,

I may just check out an f matic to see how I get along with it , you never know I may love it

Just want to make sure whatever I do it's the right choice in the end

Am I'm no rush and willing to wait for the right car

havoc
22-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Am I'm no rush and willing to wait for the right car

THAT is the perfect approach!

WhyOne?
22-02-2014, 09:51 PM
I may just check out an f matic to see how I get along with it , you never know I may love it

....and that is the only sensible way to assess the f-matic. :)

Senninha
23-02-2014, 01:09 PM
How about this one .... no other info but spotted this in another thread ... only a few days old

If they are fetching good money I may put my 1991 in, its the best one around, red, manual non power steering, UK John Cooper supply, and infinitessimal mileage.

Barry Davison.

jbarrydavison(at)dial(dot)pipex(dot)com