PDA

View Full Version : Radio Head Unit

Formula 91
08-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Hi, My radio head unit is not working. Has anybody had theirs repaired ,if so,how much did it cost or does anyone have a reasonably priced unit for sale.

Out of interest were the units all the same or are there differences between the NA1 and NA2 models ?

NSXGB
08-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Get in touch with Kaz, he is your best bet at fixing your head unit.

Silver Surfer
08-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Very likely your heater probably is related to the head unit issue.
As Simon says... Best chance of getting sorted out at a reasonable cost is with Kaz.

SS

NSXGB
08-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Squadron Leader has a problem with his heater...not Formula 91...

Very likely your heater probably is related to the head unit issue.
As Simon says... Best chance of getting sorted out at a reasonable cost is with Kaz.

SS

Kaz-kzukNA1
08-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Hi, Formula 91.

It will help if you can provide us with further information about your NSX but I presume it’s a 91 model based on your ID???

Also, detailed information on your issue could help us a lot in supporting you.

For example, no power, nothing on the display, ANT goes up but nothing on the display, no sound from the speaker but the display works, display works but only loud cracking/popping noise comes out from all speakers, it was working for a while and suddenly stopped working, there was sign of failure such as popping noise, etc, etc, etc.

Do you know whether all three Bose AMPs inside your speaker boxes were re-furbished in the past or not?
Any burnt smell from the speaker area or from inside the head unit?

If you suddenly lost the power and assuming that you checked the related fuses, then you may have capacitor failure inside the audio head unit.
The leaked acid will cut through the circuit board and it will cause various issues such as noise, loss of power, etc.
Example here;

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-d6gK4Edixoo/Ty-ogL4uWTI/AAAAAAAAAp0/NxhtTL4zVNE/s640/AudioHeadUnitCap01.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mdulfEIU5Xc/Ty-ogmtK_ZI/AAAAAAAAAp8/X9AXGGw3R0s/s640/Removed01.JPG

You can visit my Blog and open the blog category ‘Audio’ that you can find at the right window if you open any of the posts there.
Link below;
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?1811&blogcategoryid=44

Just noticed that you tried to send me PM.
I have problem accessing my control panel including the PM so could you send email at
kaznsxcb-001 (at) yahoo (dot) co (dot) jp ?
It’s one word and please note the domain as ' jp ' and not ' uk '.

You can find my contact detail including the above email address in my Blog post and also you will see QR code in the right window of any of my blog posts so you can scan it with your mobile phone.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-DzCXlltyRPc/UPVpNhShS7I/AAAAAAAAHkU/_BdKge6Ckcg/s144/QR01.png

Kaz

Formula 91
08-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Hi Kaz, your assumption is correct as my car is a 1991 model.I do not have any power from the head unit .This may have happened as I was switching the unit on and off to lubricate the electric aerial the other evening as it was sticking.I have checked the radio fuse in the passenger footwell and it is okay.Are there any other fuses to check?

Kaz-kzukNA1
09-03-2014, 11:34 AM
There is a backup battery voltage line going into the audio head unit and if my memory is correct, you need this to power up the head unit despite it being labelled as memory backup.
I could be wrong on this as it was such long time ago when I created the bench system but it can be tested very easily on the car by pulling the CLOCK fuse out.
I don’t want to do it now as it will erase the memory inside the ECU, etc.

If your Clock at the dashboard is working and you don’t see CEL at the moment, then no need to worry about this backup voltage line as it’s sharing the 7.5A CLOCK fuse inside the pentagonal fuse/relay box under the bonnet.

The head unit is only controlling the logic (control) side of the relay for the radio ANT and the actual power source for the power ANT is coming from different power line with different fuse from the ones used by the audio head unit so very unlikely to be related to your issue.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-de-LN1G2MVs/UE3gWC-G6mI/AAAAAAAAE2I/9Pgv4-fMIRM/s640/SEC_0022.jpg
If you have tested the things you can do, then best to take the head unit out of the car and test it on the bench if you have electronics background.
You can find the pin out on the sticker attached to the base of the head unit case.

If you can send me an email to the address in my last post above, we can discuss it further.
At the moment, I’m in the final stage of the Engine Refresh service for another owner and it has the highest priority so I won't be able to look into your issue until next week.

Kaz

Problem Child
09-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Hi, My radio head unit is not working. Has anybody had theirs repaired ,if so,how much did it cost or does anyone have a reasonably priced unit for sale.

Out of interest were the units all the same or are there differences between the NA1 and NA2 models ?

I have a head unit and multi CD unit from an NA2 which I could be interested in selling

Formula 91
09-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Hi Kaz, thanks for the information.I checked the clock and it is working. I shall remove the unit this week and get back to you.If I do need another unit is there any difference between NA1 and NA2 head units.

Ricky

Formula 91
09-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Hi Geoff,thanks for your reply.Do you have any pictures of the head unit and any idea of how much you are looking for the unit.Send me a message.

Ricky

Hagasan
09-03-2014, 05:36 PM
I have a head unit and multi CD unit from an NA2 which I could be interested in selling
Pretty quick for the "Red Guy" lol ;-)

Kaz-kzukNA1
09-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Hi Kaz, thanks for the information.I checked the clock and it is working. I shall remove the unit this week and get back to you.If I do need another unit is there any difference between NA1 and NA2 head units.

Ricky
Strictly speaking, there are several differences on the internal circuit boards depending on the country spec and year model but as long as the replacement is of UK spec, then that's fine.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rBPsZx4XRbo/UxzC0B3IbFI/AAAAAAAAPhQ/ZH8DcnPtiew/s640/img003.jpg
Please note that on the later model, the colour of the centre console was changed and at the same time, the colour of the dials at the Audio Head Unit and the CCU was also changed.

The early model colour on the right and the later one on the left.
The text logo on the early model photo will look different from the UK models as it's from my NSX that is JDM 94 model.

With early model, everything was in Real Black.
On the later model, while the numbered press buttons stayed in black, the dials were brighten up to follow the colour change of the centre console and they became more like graphite grey or like grey/silver.

You can buy these dials from Honda for the Audio Head Unit so not a big problem.

As a side note, you can get iPod adaptor devices in place of the OEM CD changer and control your Apple device through the OEM head unit.
With hi res. audio and streaming becoming more popular, even the CD is an old technology.....

Kaz

markc
10-03-2014, 12:48 PM

Second dibs on the headunit if Formula 91 doesn't take it.

Been meaning to get one (the new colour matches my centre console) for ages but keep missing them when they come up.

Cheers

Mark

Pride
15-03-2014, 07:57 PM
If it's of any interest to anyone I have a mint condition NA1 headunit up for grabs.
It's just been sitting in a dry box for the last 10 years.