PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads / discs - opinions & experiences please

havoc
20-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Need/want new front brakes. Am still toying with going for a caliper upgrade in the future, so don't want to spend a lot of money on discs and pads, but I DO want something better than OE (or whatever current set-up my car has - looks like OE or pattern discs), as I'm getting vibration after only a few high-speed braking cycles (100-40 give-or-take, hard but not emergency braking pressure).

The car is 95% road use, but I am going to be driving Spa in May with the NSX tour, and I can't see that being a brake-friendly circuit.

So I was after opinions from people who've used "standard" brakes, rather than big-brake kits. Want low-moderate dust only, which rules out my favourite DS2500 pads.

Current thoughts for discs are below. Given it's almost all road-use I'm leaning towards plain not slotted, but the AP Dixcel discs (even non-heat-treated) are about 2x the price of the Centric ones (or EBC blanks, which I'm even less sure about). As an alternative, any experiences with Powerslot or Stoptech?

Vendor

Parts

SoS
Centric rotors

Powerslot slotted

Powerslot slotted / cryo

VTEC Direct
Dixcel Plain Discs

Dixcel Slotted Discs

Dixcel Plain Heat-treat Discs

Honda Perf Parts

Stoptech slotted

For pads I'm struggling a little more - are Dixcel Type-M good enough for the occasional track session (not track-day)? Any other suggestions?

Thanks all,

Martin.

nobby
20-03-2014, 12:52 PM
im in the process of doing the final part of my complete brake system overhaul.
Going NA2 in the rears (set from US) but keeping NA1 callipers up front but using the NA2 brackets (AS Motorsport) to facilitate bigger discs all round from NA1 size.
NB. I have already upgraded to the 2002-05 ABS Modulator set up in my car a couple of years ago

I was considering BBK but in the end I want to keep my car as true to OEM when it comes to key mechanicals etc. BBK's are mental money for NSX and costs were just prohibitive

I was facing the same decisions as you. 95% or time road going but have done the odd track day. I have made the following decisions and these are now being fitted to my car:

NA2 stoptech grooved (not slotted) discs all round - purchased from local supplier. EBC no longer supply NA2 discs but still do NA1!
Carbotech XP8's REAR ONLY - SOS
Carbon Lorraine RC5+ FRONTS - local supplier

Dust from these pads will be higher than what i run currently which is EBC Redstuff, but generally the car is regularly washed when used so not anticipating having brake dust lying on wheels for any length of time. Also my rims have been coated in nano chemicals etc to perserve life etc prevent BD build up and so on

Will let you know when the car is returned to me. Hopefully Sudesh is documenting accordingly as he is doing the work so keep an eye out on his Refresh thread

If you want anymore info (if i can answer) sure reply or pm me

simonprelude
20-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Discs from these guys.....

http://www.racingbrake.com/NSX-FRONT-97-05-p/2006.htm
http://www.racingbrake.com/NSX-REAR-97-05-p/2007.htm

Pads were OEM NSX-R.

Prices appear to have gone up considerably though so maybe not worth it :(

lotusolly
20-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Hi Havoc,
I was having the same issues as you and refurbished my brakes back in 2012.
Fitted racing brake discs as listed above by Simon. I had mine cryo treated but not really sure how much difference it makes.
I purchased a pair of NA2 remanufactured rear calipers from Rockauto in the states. These come with the bigger brackets for the larger discs and cost less than a caliper service kit from Honda UK. I think they worked out about £400 all in. They are supposed to be exchanged for your old ones but as they don't match and with the cost of shipping, you just accept the core cost. Might be making supplies of calipers to re manufacture a bit low though!
Bought the larger brackets for the front calipers and refurbished my existing ones. Also had the caliper bodies powder coated for a nice finish.
Fitted hawk pads, Goodridge hoses and ATP blue fluid.
Very happy with the result and brake performance is greatly improved, although I haven't tried this set up on a track yet.
Dali did have a list of the brake forces generated by different brake kits which was very interesting to read if you are modifying.
This cost me about £1500 in total and I don't think you need any greater performance unless your significantly increasing power and using your car predominantly on track.
BBK seems to be at least £5k and when you look at the brake forces seem to dramaticaly alter the balance of the braking on the car.
Hope that helps
Olly

Nick Graves
20-03-2014, 08:34 PM
I think mine has Project Mu green pads & slotted disks.

Part of a GB here about '07?

I thought I had a receipt but cannot find it - best check with The Quiet One.

I've not had any issues at all with them and am thinking of going the same route with the S2000, as they feel a bit knackered now.

havoc
20-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks all.

Sounds like NA2 fronts are the way to go long-term, with an adaptor-carrier. Like the idea of 2-piece discs too. But that's more cash than I've got this year - spent a few K last year on the TB/engine refresh/etc., and have a couple of maintenance items still on the list ahead of upgrades. And right now Becs is still working part-time and we're paying 3 days nursery fees, so the NSX is definitely in the "luxury" camp...

So, sticking with NA1 discs/pads for the moment, and trying to get a set of fronts all-in for <£500, what's the best plan?

lotusolly
20-03-2014, 09:59 PM
NA2 front calipers use a smaller piston than NA1 but in the same body and on a bigger disc. If you use your caliper with a bigger disc and the bigger bracket you then have the same spec as a NA2 R. At least that was my understanding of the figures! If your calipers have not been serviced in a while then that could be your biggest issue.
Olly

Sudesh
22-03-2014, 10:24 AM
I've just completed the install Andrew mentioned. I haven't driven the car to do a major testing as I prefer the owners to do this, and bed the pads in themselves, but just on visual aesthetics, looks much more impressive. The old EBC pads on there, took a real cooking lol.

Senninha
22-03-2014, 03:21 PM
OEM NA2 R discs all round, was running Project Mu's green but changed recently to EBC Redstuff. The latter if better feel, stopping feels same on both pads.

recently installed late ABS so it will be interesting to feel the difference

if you BBK then check out the WP Pro kits on Prime .... $4500 so a lot less than numbers above ...

rgds Paul

Sudesh
22-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Is there much of a difference in NA2 NSX-R discs Paul?

I liked the red stuff in my car too, but after seeing the shape of the same pad I removed from Andrews car, I'm not sure if they can take a good cooking lol

I've been thinking of BBK for the Diablo, the brakes are awful, not even ABS in it lol, old servo assisted with brake booster lol. OEM BBK from SE30 model will be close to £9k, my car has Brembo as standard but BBK Brembo at round £5k or so.

OEM NA2 R discs all round, was running Project Mu's green but changed recently to EBC Redstuff. The latter if better feel, stopping feels same on both pads.

recently installed late ABS so it will be interesting to feel the difference

if you BBK then check out the WP Pro kits on Prime .... $4500 so a lot less than numbers above ...

rgds Paul

Senninha
22-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Hi Sudesh, the R discs are grooved with as I understand it, improved internal channels. I also run the oversized cooling vents/deflectors.

so far no issue with the Redstuff pads, they even have less dust than the Mu's ....

Id say it's well worth looking closer at the WP's

Sudesh
23-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Hi Sudesh, the R discs are grooved with as I understand it, improved internal channels. I also run the oversized cooling vents/deflectors.

so far no issue with the Redstuff pads, they even have less dust than the Mu's ....

Id say it's well worth looking closer at the WP's

That sounds pretty much like Andrews setup now, beautiful discs he choose and the bigger OEM calipers and front carriers look the business. Although I would say he will see more brake dust with the new pads, not do him any harm, keep him busy with more cleaning of the car lol.

I'll take a pic and post it up here in a bit.

Sudesh
23-03-2014, 11:15 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/JDMYELLOW/DSC_0656_zps7a6283c1.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/user/icongroup/media/JDMYELLOW/DSC_0656_zps7a6283c1.jpg.html)
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/JDMYELLOW/DSC_0657_zps68323a10.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/user/icongroup/media/JDMYELLOW/DSC_0657_zps68323a10.jpg.html)
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/JDMYELLOW/DSC_0654_zpsa07fe494.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/user/icongroup/media/JDMYELLOW/DSC_0654_zpsa07fe494.jpg.html)
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/JDMYELLOW/DSC_0655_zps14dcba2f.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/user/icongroup/media/JDMYELLOW/DSC_0655_zps14dcba2f.jpg.html)

nobby
23-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Jeez, big difference on the front for sure.
New discs suit the car, as does the bigger radius.

Great job as always, thanks for doing

AR
23-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Those brake look great and functional Sudesh, without being OTT and departing from the NSX Ethos.

Sudesh
24-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Yeah, have to commend Andrew on his choice there, as you say, nice subtle choice but functional

Those brake look great and functional Sudesh, without being OTT and departing from the NSX Ethos.

b1gbrad
28-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Has anybody had any experience with Ksport brakes?

http://www.ksport.co.uk/order.asp?id=205&loc=2

The prices look pretty reasonable. For the odd track day and mainly (fast-ish) road use do you reckon they'll be up to the job?

AR
29-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Has anybody had any experience with Ksport brakes?

http://www.ksport.co.uk/order.asp?id=205&loc=2

The prices look pretty reasonable. For the odd track day and mainly (fast-ish) road use do you reckon they'll be up to the job?

I believe that just like the Hi Doec ones they might not be as well suited to our roads ( grit, salt,etc ) during winter time.

madras
09-04-2014, 10:17 AM
stoptech discs lasted really well, but really the most important thing is pad compound and getting some cooling in there. pad fade is the biggest problem so go with something with a high operating range, or something that will last a long time at high temps like Rs29. I've used Mintex M1155s quite a lot and they are decent but I do struggle with coolnig on a 15" front wheel.

Sonic
13-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Like many others I went with the Powerslot discs by Stoptech. They are great quality, also had the 'cryo' treatment applied to them which makes them extra hard and durable. They look great too... Also went with Project MU HC+ pads which seem very good on the road although I have yet to try them on the track. I would avoid EBC yellowstuff though as I did 1 trackday with them and they just disintegrated!?

b1gbrad
19-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Just had some new discs and pads fitted by VTEC Direct. It now feels like a brand new car! :-)

I have grooved high carbon front discs with ferodo DS2500 pads, and grooved rear discs with racehawk pads. They have literally transformed the feel of the car and I'm well chuffed with them, and the price was extremely reasonable too.

It's early days but I would recommend this set up if BBK is not an option.

Problem Child
19-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Just had some new discs and pads fitted by VTEC Direct. It now feels like a brand new car! :-)I have grooved high carbon front discs with ferodo DS2500 pads, and grooved rear discs with racehawk pads. They have literally transformed the feel of the car and I'm well chuffed with them, and the price was extremely reasonable too. It's early days but I would recommend this set up if BBK is not an option.I went for yellowstuff (on Kaz's advice)...good enough for me!...I stand corrected...Kaz did say redstuff. Doh

Kaz-kzukNA1
19-05-2014, 02:22 PM
For the clarification, I never mentioned about Yellowstuff but did mentioned the Redstuff as I use it together with the EBC plain disc on my NSX and for other member’s NSX as well.

Kaz

Shipz
20-05-2014, 09:57 PM
For the clarification, I never mentioned about Yellowstuff but did mentioned the Redstuff as I use it together with the EBC plain disc on my NSX and for other member’s NSX as well.

Kaz

Kaz

Not sure if you got my PM, but when are you next available to possibly have a look at our nsx? Cheers

Kaz-kzukNA1
20-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Hi, Shipz.

I don't use PM so you have contacted me through email and I already replied back to it around midday yesterday so could you kindly check your inbox?
If you didn’t receive it, it is possible that I had email issue as it happened on many occasions recently but also from time to time, I noticed that the user was not using their latest email address with their NSXCB account.
If you didn't receive it, could you check that point as well?

Bit off topic from the brake pad/disc so may I recommend using email for any further discussion?
Thank you.

Kaz

havoc
21-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Well, the EBC blanks / Redstuff combination at the front worked pretty well over the weekend. Didn't hammer them around Spa, to be fair, but they didn't cause any problems there or on the Autobahn, and the pedal feel is better than before.