PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Dave's Harmonic Balancer Shield

Hagasan
25-04-2014, 03:35 PM
A possible form of insurance from Timing Belt catastrophe is your pulley delaminates!!

Dave's doing a GB on NSX Prime at the moment. Might be worth putting your name down now if you want to benefit from some reduced shipping and a reduced price on the part! $100 at Science of Speed. $60 from the maker....

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/181375-GB-of-Cedar-RIdge-Fabrication-Timing-belt-shield-Heavy-Duty!!!

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/Cedar_Ridge/Damper_Shield/

Or let me know if you don't have a Prime account and I'll put your name down but please commit to the deal if you say yes...

Thanks,

Gary

Mistercorn
25-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Are these easy to fit with engine in-situ? Would you bother on a car which has had the pulley changed about a year ago. Sorry for the newbie questions. I haven't been here long.

MC

NSXGB
25-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Don't have to remove the engine or cam belt to fit these. Just need the tool to hold the pulley still & probably a decent extension bar to crack the pulley bolt.

WhyOne?
26-04-2014, 08:05 AM
Hi Gary,

This is very timely.

I am preparing to replace my crankshaft pulley, and one of these is on my list of parts to fit - Assuming the P&P (and duty - tricky on to quantify I know) aren't too great, I would be interested (I am heading to the States in a couple of months, so my plan was to pick everything up then).

Anyway, give me a guesstimate of cost please, I am probably in.

Hagasan
26-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Hi Gary,

This is very timely.

I am preparing to replace my crankshaft pulley, and one of these is on my list of parts to fit - Assuming the P&P (and duty - tricky on to quantify I know) aren't too great, I would be interested (I am heading to the States in a couple of months, so my plan was to pick everything up then).

Anyway, give me a guesstimate of cost please, I am probably in.

Hi Ian,

the price as it stands in $60 inc. US shipping. I don't know exactly what the costs would be to the UK but I'm sure it wouldn't be all that different for 1,2 or 3 pieces. I'm sure Dave will sort out a shipping price taking into account he was already allowing a figure for domestic shipping.

I was just buying as the opportunity arose. I'm not really "organising" anything but if people want one we could get them all sent together and distribute maybe at a meet or whatever...

I've put your name down on the list as a yes for now. So far there are 3 of us. Let me know if you want it removed. 11 0f the 20 slots are taken up since yesterday

Silver Surfer
26-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Yes for me too x1....might as well get them posted all together.

SS

Hagasan
26-04-2014, 11:35 AM
Yes for me too x1....might as well get them posted all together.

SS

Your name's on the list..... You're still not coming in tho ;-)

Mistercorn
26-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Please put me on the list. I need to check if the car I am buying has one already fitted or not. If I has I will report back. What is the deadline for when this becomes final?

MC

WhyOne?
26-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Thanks Gary - my name can certainly stay on the list.

Hagasan
26-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Please put me on the list. I need to check if the car I am buying has one already fitted or not. If I has I will report back. What is the deadline for when this becomes final?

MC

Will do. Not sure the actual end date but you'll be no.12 out of 20....

Hagasan
26-04-2014, 04:10 PM
OK Ian, Cheers.

Thanks Gary - my name can certainly stay on the list.

Mistercorn
28-04-2014, 06:22 AM
Well, investigation reveals that I don't need one after all. It seems like I jumped the gun on this one. Can you please take me off the list.
I haven't even bought a car yet and I'm already looking at buying bits for it :)

MC

Pride
28-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Hi Gary, I'm due to replace my cambelt and water pump sometime this year and would love it if you would kindly put me on the list for the titanium crankshaft pulley as well.
Do you have any other suggestions to improve reliability of my 135k mile engine as I have no intention of parting with my dream car any time in the future.
i have been the proud owner of it for 16 years now having bought it with 40000 on the clock and touchwood, apart from a clutch slave cylinder last year, a new alternator 2 years ago along with an air con evaporator and a Kaz repair to the climate control panel about 3 years ago only routine servicing has been required which is fantastic.
Even the clutch is the origanol one from when I bought it so that's well over 100k miles old now.
Hope to see you either super car Sunday good wood or the super car siege Leeds castle which is where was my car was photographed for the advertising of the event by Ross.

Hagasan
28-04-2014, 12:36 PM
OK I'll remove you from the list...

Why do you say you don't need one? None of us should ever "need" it but it's just in case to minimise the risk of any extensive damage.

Well, investigation reveals that I don't need one after all. It seems like I jumped the gun on this one. Can you please take me off the list.
I haven't even bought a car yet and I'm already looking at buying bits for it :)

MC

Hagasan
28-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Hi Gary, I'm due to replace my cambelt and water pump sometime this year and would love it if you would kindly put me on the list for the titanium crankshaft pulley as well.
Do you have any other suggestions to improve reliability of my 135k mile engine as I have no intention of parting with my dream car any time in the future.
i have been the proud owner of it for 16 years now having bought it with 40000 on the clock and touchwood, apart from a clutch slave cylinder last year, a new alternator 2 years ago along with an air con evaporator and a Kaz repair to the climate control panel about 3 years ago only routine servicing has been required which is fantastic.
Even the clutch is the origanol one from when I bought it so that's well over 100k miles old now.
Hope to see you either super car Sunday good wood or the super car siege Leeds castle which is where was my car was photographed for the advertising of the event by Ross.

Hi Clive,

I've put your name on the list...thanks. Regular servicing, oil changes, coolant levels, etc etc.... Just keeping on top of things. Best thing to do is use Kaz's blogs as a reference..

Mistercorn
28-04-2014, 01:29 PM
OK I'll remove you from the list...

Why do you say you don't need one? None of us should ever "need" it but it's just in case to minimise the risk of any extensive damage.

The pulley was changed a year ago, the car is never driven hard or at the track, and I will only be doing around 2k miles per year. So after some advise from people who know a lot more than me about the NSX I decided it was unlikely to be an issue. No doubt I will be back on this thread in 5 years to say how wrong I was.....
If anybody has any evidence of these failing in <5 years at <10k miles with normal road use I could well change my mind. I am very much learning about these cars.

MC

WhyOne?
28-04-2014, 01:36 PM
My feeling is that a failure is highly unlikely on a well maintained, non-tracked car such as yours (and mine).

However, my view is that no matter small the likelihood of the crank pulley failing, if I can spend ~£50 to prevent potentially catastrophic damage should this happen, than it is money worth spending.

NSXGB
28-04-2014, 02:06 PM
My feeling is that a failure is highly unlikely on a well maintained, non-tracked car such as yours (and mine).

However, my view is that no matter small the likelihood of the crank pulley failing, if I can spend ~£50 to prevent potentially catastrophic damage should this happen, than it is money worth spending.

My thinking entirely.

Mistercorn
28-04-2014, 02:35 PM
If it is from the same people as the one in Kaz's blog update from 24th May 2012 it appears that the quality of the finish on the plate and the fitment of the bolts wasn't up to much.
If somebody does come back to me and can cite a few cases of failures under the sort of conditions mine will see then I will change my mind. A quick search on the internet gave me the first one at 71k miles and 21 years. I might try to do a google search and see how many instances of failure I can find to get an idea of what the risk is. It does sound like an age / usage related problem, not a design issue. So I feel happy that if it is changed regularly the risk is next to nothing, I guess similar to a timing belt problem before the due date for change.

MC

28-04-2014, 04:55 PM
A possible form of insurance from Timing Belt catastrophe is your pulley delaminates!!

Dave's doing a GB on NSX Prime at the moment. Might be worth putting your name down now if you want to benefit from some reduced shipping and a reduced price on the part! $100 at Science of Speed. $60 from the maker....

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/181375-GB-of-Cedar-RIdge-Fabrication-Timing-belt-shield-Heavy-Duty!!!

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/Cedar_Ridge/Damper_Shield/

Or let me know if you don't have a Prime account and I'll put your name down but please commit to the deal if you say yes...

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary could you put me on the list please - I am not a Prime member :) I guess then I would just send a payment to you ? :)

Cheers,

Andy

Hagasan
28-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Hi Gary could you put me on the list please - I am not a Prime member :) I guess then I would just send a payment to you ? :)

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy, have put you on the list...

I'll get back to you about the money side of things when I know....

The list is currently 19 full of 20

28-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Hi Andy, have put you on the list...

I'll get back to you about the money side of things when I know....

The list is currently 19 full of 20

Yeah just keep me posted :)

Hagasan
29-04-2014, 04:30 PM
The group buy is now full/closed.

I've paid already and sent PM's to the four of you who asked to be included.

Thanks,

Gary

WhyOne?
29-04-2014, 04:46 PM
Received thanks Gary.

Will transfer £'s later this ev or early tomorrow.

Hagasan
29-04-2014, 10:15 PM
Received thanks Gary.

Will transfer £'s later this ev or early tomorrow.

Thanks Ian. Money received..

Hagasan
29-04-2014, 10:16 PM
Parts have now been dispatched by Dave and are on their way...

Silver Surfer
29-04-2014, 10:33 PM
Paid ... Gary you have funds!

SS

Hagasan
30-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Paid ... Gary you have funds!

SS

Thanks Kare...

Hagasan
30-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Pride did you get my PM? The parts are on their way...