PDA

View Full Version : Dali Racing /swindow fix

L696ULO
16-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Has anyone got laying around a Dali racing/SOS window fix for the regulator which they aren't going to be using?
If you have please contact me,
The part I'm after is on the link below

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=976 (http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=976)

thanks

Kaz-kzukNA1
17-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Hi, L696ULO.

I believe you need it urgently so may not meet your requirement but if you can't find one, as a last resort, I may have spare set in the near future.
I'm just waiting the email reply from SoS regarding the delivery charge using USPS and also the likes of UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc as I need it quite urgently.

I started working on another NSX last week and by now, I thought almost all early model NSX had their old style regulator replaced or this 'window fix it thingy' installed but to my surprise, it is still using the old style regulator with white plastic square holder without the side support. It's not broken yet but can't open the window if the door is closed so while working inside the door panel, makes sense to install 'fix it thingy' at the same time.

I have never bought any parts from SoS or Dali so this is going to be the first time for me but based on the feedback on here as well as on NSX Prime, too many negative feedbacks were enough for me to stay away from Dali even after they changed the management recently.

The set from SoS (US$25 - pair/set) is bit more pricey than Dali ($16 - pair/set) and the delivery charge would be the biggest factor which is going to be included when calculating the import tax/fee.

If using the standard USPS service, it will be about US$25 but it will take a few weeks to get here. From time to time, if it was sent as air mail or air mail small packet, you may receive it without being charged for the UK Customs.
With USPS Express, it will be about US$60 and about 3 days to land in UK and then the waiting game starts at UK Customs for about 4-5 days before the delivery.
UPS will cost similar to USPS Express service (still waiting for SoS to confirm) but since they will clear the UK Custom internally, I normally get the delivery within 3 – 5 working days once the package has been despatched.
It should be below the threashold for the duty so you just pay the standard 20% import tax/vat against the total of parts price + delivery charge and then addition to this, the clearance fee for the courier company.

If I get the parts, will let you know or I'll keep them as the spare parts for other owners.

Kaz

L696ULO
17-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Hi Kaz

Thanks for your generous offer and guidance on importing parts.

I've been able to source someones old plastic one which will suffice until the metal ones arrive although it does mean having to do the job twice !

Everyone recommends using Honda High temp urea grease for the guides etc is there an alternative grease I can use as the urea grease is hard to find in the short timeframe I have?

Rich

Kaz-kzukNA1
17-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Hi, Rich.

I went through months of discussion with my friends in Japan regarding the slow window operation and came to a conclusion that the major cause is not the friction at the regulator guide body or the half moon shape slider at the bottom of the regulator guide that some owners installed aftermarket roller/bobbin style parts in order to reduce the friction.

It's still very nice method/parts and great way in speeding up the window operation at reasonable cost so if it works for you, that's great.

But I have seen many owners experiencing the same issue afterwards even after installing these aftermarket parts.

Some owners experienced that the window stopping half way immediately after installing these parts so the major factor is somewhere else.

I'm hoping to touch on this some point in the future if I can get all the parts from Japan but some of them were on back order for over 12 months.....

Regarding the grease....
Ideally, if using the Urea grease, best to remove any old grease that is not in Urea chemical group.
The original grease from the factory is probably the yellow/white custard coloured one so probably standard mineral or calcium based one.

You could use Moly type or BNS one from Castrol as they stay in same place for many years but these may not help at all if your window is already super slow.

I don't know the material (PP or ABS???) of black plastic like covers used on the glass holder and also the slider pivots inside the rail but if you are worried about the chemical reaction, then probably best to stay with the silicone based grease.

You can get the one from Dow Corning (I think it was called DC4 or something like that) from Farnell UK or similar places and I use it quite a lot on many places around the car such as weatherstrip, noise reduction purpose, etc.
You can use IPA to clean the area before applying it.
Again, IPA is very useful when cleaning inside of the window glass, dilute it to about 70% (or use Detol) and spray it on evaporator before start working on it, etc. It won't kill some type of bacteria but better than doing nothing. You never know what's in there when working on someone's NSX.....

Good luck with the repair.

Kaz

WhyOne?
17-06-2014, 03:00 PM
I'm hoping to touch on this some point in the future if I can get all the parts from Japan but some of them were on back order for over 12 months.....

Looking forward to this Kaz, my car is afflicted with a (very!) slow passenger side window and I would be very interested in a reliable 'fix'.

UnhuZ
17-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Hi,

Kaz, have you checked Hugo repair kit, the complete version??

He addresses several issues:

- Roller to replace the 180º turn
- Sleeve for inside the motor, because the center plastic axis get some wear over the years
- Teflon guides, self lubricated, to replace the oem rubber ones.

i have his kit, installed by him and i don't have any issue with stopping halfway or something.
Before i installed the kit, the windows wouldn't close all the way without some help with my hand...
Now it's faster, a lot faster, but it can be even faster, because i'm yet to clean the guides and
re-grease them properly.

Take a look, and if you want, i can ask him a kit so i can take a picture of it's components and
i can even send to you so you can see it personally ;)

Thanks,
Nuno