PDA

View Full Version : NSX repair

Fujairah_NSX
19-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Hi everyone,

Not too sure if this is the right place to post but here we go;

I've recently had a front end collision in the NSX, at first the damage didn't look too bad. After getting it to the garage and taking off the bumper, I have actually bent the chassis arms quite severely. Now as we know the NSX is all aluminium chassis, so getting it straightend is not an easy task. Has anyone had this done to their car or know of an easy repair? I have a feeling this is going to be a costly repair but I don't want to part with the car.

I have already been in contact with a few people about buying the front bulkhead to be replaced but they are supplying in two parts and each side is looking around £2500 each.

would anyone have an recommendations on what's the best way to get this fixed?

Look forward to your responses.

lotusolly
19-07-2014, 10:44 AM
I don't know the age and value of your car but damage to the chassis rails is typically terminal for repair through the insurance type process. I believe when James(papalazarou) had his incident at Castle coombe, he managed to bend one chassis rail about 5mm and the insurance bailed out when the repair estimate reached £36k. However this car is now back on the road so somebody managed to make the repair viable.
If you are after chassis parts I believe that NSXGB on here has a front bare chassis section available and might be worth a PM.

Olly

Hagasan
19-07-2014, 04:48 PM
I don't know the age and value of your car but damage to the chassis rails is typically terminal for repair through the insurance type process. I believe when James(papalazarou) had his incident at Castle coombe, he managed to bend one chassis rail about 5mm and the insurance bailed out when the repair estimate reached £36k. However this car is now back on the road so somebody managed to make the repair viable.
If you are after chassis parts I believe that NSXGB on here has a front bare chassis section available and might be worth a PM.

Olly

The front chassis bulkhead is gone now but there is a front wing and headlight assembly available. Left/nearside...and suspension assembly as well.

Kaz-kzukNA1
20-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Hi, Fujairah_NSX.
Hope no one got injured. That's the important thing.

Regarding the repair.....
It all depends on the level of the damages to the frame.

It can be straightened but as you mentioned, it's aluminium so needs lots of knowhow, specific jig, equipments and experience as even after straightening it, it will try to spring back to where it was.
The process needs to be done very slowly at minute rate. The welding also requires time and lots of current so obviously, you need to find the place that deal with the aluminium body and inevitably, it has to be the place where it has all the right combination of attachment jigs for the NSX.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Y6UJ8kTbq_k/U8p0wyvg78I/AAAAAAAAR8E/gN8iW6xrKos/s640/FrontFrameRepair01.jpg https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5yW2YVhnGoU/U8p0xm8TCqI/AAAAAAAAR8M/PIyNRRvPA9A/s640/FrontFrameRepair02.jpg
If one side is recoverable, then normally the jig operator will straighten that side and let the other side to absorb all the deformation and then, replace the deformed side with spare frame.
This black NSX hit the barrier from the left side frame and it was quicker to replace that side but due to the request from the owner, it was straightened instead.
Very good example of if done properly, it can be repaired.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-l9rw-pO8IlE/U8p0wARxN0I/AAAAAAAAR78/MhL3uw4O8aU/s640/FrontFrame.jpg
However, if you damaged both sides beyond the certain level, it would be best to replace the entire front frame as an assy.
The pop-up version of the front frame is no longer manufactured but you can use the face lifted one instead.
You have the choice of going for the face lifted looks or keep the retractable head light. Obviously, you will need to order the suitable parts for each cases.

Presuming that you are using the car insurance, I'm afraid it's not going to be cheap and unless you can source the parts at very reasonable cost or doing the repair by yourself, you may not get the answer that you want from the insurance company.
If this happened in Japan, I can confidently recommend one factory (more like a factory than just a body shop) for any repair work but I'm afraid, I have no experience in UK.

Kaz

(All photos from Mr Toyoizumi at KSP Engineering, Japan)

goldnsx
20-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Maybe you can let the insurance company pay the repair if it's not to high of a cost, source used parts youself where available and only buy new parts where needed. This strategy worked for one guy. I'm not sure if your insurance company would do that but you don't have to buy new parts if you can find used ones.
Just make sure that the repair costs are not that high (very high HUK pricing sends the cars into a total financial loss) that the insurance company bails out and sells it to someone else who does the same like you could do also. That's why papalazzos car is still on the road. With the right strategy the car can be repaired for 50% of the price of new parts.

I've a complete pre-facelift bumperface, hood and headlight covers for less than £2k (Honda calls 4x).

Good luck!