PDA

View Full Version : NSX at SMMT 2014 - what happened?

WhyOne?
23-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Does anyone know what happened to the NSX at this years SMMT - it's 'demise' is alluded to in this article:
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=30527

goldtop
23-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Yikes! From teh thread of the day itself:

"You know the NSX got properly mangled right at the end? The driver was ok as far as I know. Looked like quite a big off. Right on the very last open lap I think."

"Having seen a picture of the NSX embedded in the trees, it certainly looks like it went in pretty hard. Did think it was inevitable though, the way some people were driving yesterday was verging on ridiculous given the weather. I was nearly wiped out by a muppet in a Wraith who was clearly travelling way over a ton..."

"Very sad to see that beautiful NSX buried so far into the undergrowth, obviously we don't know if it was a car/track/tyre problem but everyone else made the corner without crashing and it did bear all the hallmarks of a last lap hero"

Hope the driver is OK.

NSX 2000
23-07-2014, 11:57 AM
This is probably why they needed to borrow my car for FoS.

goldtop
23-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Was it the same car - "MY05"? If so, it only sold last year, and it probably wasn't the new owner driving it.

Hope there's insurance to help get it sorted.

WhyOne?
23-07-2014, 01:41 PM
"You know the NSX got properly mangled right at the end? The driver was ok as far as I know. Looked like quite a big off. Right on the very last open lap I think."

"Having seen a picture of the NSX embedded in the trees, .......

Thanks for the research / info.

Doesn't sound good for the car, but as you say, hopefully the occupants were ok.

NSXGB
23-07-2014, 03:11 PM
Shame, it looked a pretty good example at the Goodwood super car Sunday event.

NSX 2000
24-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Was it the same car - "MY05"? If so, it only sold last year, and it probably wasn't the new owner driving it.

Hope there's insurance to help get it sorted.

From my understanding of SMMT, these are all press cars i.e. they are owened by the manufactures. So this would of been one of Hondas own cars. The photo used in the article may not be of the actual NSX but just a "library photo"

flyingsniffer
24-07-2014, 10:46 AM
From my understanding of SMMT, these are all press cars i.e. they are owned by the manufactures. So this would of been one of Hondas own cars. The photo used in the article may not be of the actual NSX but just a "library photo"

Although, that shot is Definitely the Hill route at Millbrook (location of the SMMT event).

That NSX was in lovely condition: it was at Donington in 2013 and was for sale in this thread: http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?11702-For-Sale-Orange-2005-NSX

Maybe Honda bought it for demo purposes?

L696ULO
24-07-2014, 11:24 AM
Looks like it was MY05 from this pre crash Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8FV6NLxRUQ

From my understanding of SMMT, these are all press cars i.e. they are owened by the manufactures. So this would of been one of Hondas own cars. The photo used in the article may not be of the actual NSX but just a "library photo"

Lankstarr
30-07-2014, 08:56 PM
That genuinely is tragic, waste of a great example. Mine will not be leant out ever!

L*

Monaco92
31-07-2014, 11:44 AM
That genuinely is tragic, waste of a great example. Mine will not be leant out ever!

L*

So sad to hear of this. However the good news is, Honda have said they are going to repair the vehicle and she should be back to its former glory in a few months.

nobby
31-07-2014, 03:47 PM
a friend of mine who works for one of Honda's motorcycle franchises' would be over to Honda for training programmes and what not. he had photographed an IOP coloured car and showed it to me and told me it was Honda's. cant remember the reg but this sounds as if it was the same car. Real shame to hear this, but glad they are going to try and fix it.

Ohh that was NSX200's car at Goodwood?
Very nice mate, credit to you. Had a good look round it!

Senninha
31-07-2014, 09:48 PM
MY05 has either been owned by Honda for many years of the 'owner' is well known to Honda. I first saw this car at the Docklands event, must be 5/6 yrs ago now and it surprised many of us when it joined the Honda history parade along with S800, S2k and Asimo on stange! So long as the occupants walked away ...

goldtop
01-08-2014, 07:39 AM
One of those low-profile owners? It was definitely advertised for sale last year; maybe that's when Honda UK bought it - presumably as a warm-up act for the launch of the new NSX?

Nick Graves
01-08-2014, 10:22 AM
One of those low-profile owners? It was definitely advertised for sale last year; maybe that's when Honda UK bought it - presumably as a warm-up act for the launch of the new NSX?

That was my thought: "That will look nice in our museum...er, scrap yard."

NSX 2000
01-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Yesterday, I spoke to a Honda employee who was at the event, and when I asked about said NSX got the reply "Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil". Basicly they've been told not to comment on the story.

goldtop
01-08-2014, 11:50 AM
:) Someone on the NSX marketing team has just got a repair estimate from the Honda workshop and has said "How bl**dy much! Does anybody pay these outrageous prices?"

He's just realised that this money will have to come out of the budget for the 2015 NSX launch. ;) So, there will be no dancing girls, no laser light show, and no dry ice.

Nick Graves
02-08-2014, 01:39 PM
That's probably why the new one's delayed to 2016 & the fire was merely an excuse!

simonprelude
28-07-2016, 12:43 PM
The car is still sat 'somewhere' in pieces by the sounds of it....

WhyOne?
28-07-2016, 01:49 PM
It was driving up the hill at the Goodwood Festival of Speed quite happily a few weeks ago!