PDA

View Full Version : Wanted advert on PH

Papalazarou
01-10-2014, 07:56 PM
First of all. No offence to the owner of the advert. I thought it was a novel way to advertise for a car. Certainly an amusing slant, definitely optimistic.
Just to be clear on a few things.... First, I've yet to see a facelift car without corrosion. So if it hasn't had paint, it will probably need some somewhere. I find the paint thing quite interesting really. People are very retentive about whether a car has had paint. I used to count myself amongst them. However, working in the trade and having owned or driven probably 30 different NSX's. It struck me that with so few cars available, the most important thing was overall condition and lack of accident damage. There are a few cars out there, perhaps three of four which may have been lucky enough to escape the corrosion fairy. But again. Never seen one. With this in mind, and considering that a percentage of all cars will have been at least partially repainted between the factory and the dealer, then once again during their second trip through the dealer network. We shouldn't be afraid of a bit of colour here or there. Even if they've made an average job, it's still rectifiable (for most colours).
Second, there is a pool of perhaps 35-40 cars. So there really isn't a great deal of choice. If you then remove (in line with the advert) those cars which have been crashed, higher mileage, tracked or yellow/orange. Then you have a very limited number of cars. Perhaps 10-15. Out of those cars maybe 2-3 come up for sale a year.
Additionally, low mileage late cars have been consistently making 60K+ For the last 12 months. Finally, the advertiser may want to look at the orange and yellow cars. They are great colours and shouldn't be overlooked.
Again, no disrespect to anyone. Just some observations.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/nsx/honda-nsx-v6--------------------2002/2886985

Senninha
01-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Respectfully the applicant to NSX ownership should decide what he or she actually considers important. Mods or no mods, you cant have both in one car, why consider a colour you say you dont want and more ...

Most (UK installed) factory alarms will have failed in one way or another in the past decade so will have been updated or replaced with the later version .. does this exclude them from your list too?

Good luck in your hunt ... some cars do exchange hands never being advertised on the forum so this approach may find you a nice car not on many peoples radar, and as suggested above, buy on overall condition. I'm sure we all look forward to seeing how pure an NSX you end up finally owning ...

nobby
01-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Good posts James & Paul

Has this person looked at the blue facelift already listed or seen the prices of any of the models recently listed?
he needs to up his budget for a low mileage example ... If he is going to drive daily does he necessarily need a low miler.

if he has knowledge of Kaz he will know his opinion that a car which is used and driven regularly is better than those that spend its days in storage

Imho he is misguided re electrics opinion on upgraded alarm and the audio side; does a tracker install be seen as an electrical mod and therefore discounted?

Define a 'track car' ...so if used once round a track regardless of speed or how treated it's automatically discounted?
also how will he ever determine if the car was never tracked in the 1st place?

my car has been re sprayed to bring back the sparkle ... seems a tad odd that paintwork would put anyone off unless it's a botch job.

modifications if tastefully done, close to OEM or OEM or car easily brought back to standard also discounted?

an interior stripped out and recovered with genuine napa leather like mine and makes a mockery of original interior for eg also discounted as seen to being modified.

i find this advert to be misguided in a lot of ways and extremely short sighted. Think he will be waiting quite some time for an answer to that ad IMHO

lotusolly
01-10-2014, 08:51 PM
I would have thought an NSX enthusiast that has done enough research to know the benefits of Kaz is fully aware that they are asking for the impossible. Sounds more like a dealer trying to search out a good car to turn a good profit. I'm guessing the comment regarding changing the interior is a reference to Marky's car which would also indicate they know the real price of the car they are asking for.
Might be wrong and it is a genuine buyer who stared looking a couple of years ago but with such a specific search, the car never came to the market and is now not affordable!
In the condition requested I would expect an NA1 to fetch £40k now.

WhyOne?
02-10-2014, 07:03 AM

Define a 'track car' ...so if used once round a track regardless of speed or how treated it's automatically discounted?

Whilst I agree that finding what the advertiser is looking for is a big ask, I do feel he has made it pretty clear what he considers 'track use' to be.

goldtop
02-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Cripes! Give the guy a break... Every NSX buyer these days goes up a learning curve of what's available for what sort of money. This chap (local, but not known to me) sounds genuine and hopeful. The price he has in mind ... well, it's an opening bid, isn't it? And he makes it clear there is more cash available.

A few months looking and drawing a blank will help recalibrate his wishlist. It happened to a lot of us.

As close-to-OEM as possible is definitely a sensible long-term choice (IMHO). He needs to visit Specsavers though, if actually prefers the facelift! ;)

nobby
02-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Personally I do not know what he is getting at and I dont want to get into a war of words with a fellow forum member. The ad states - "I don't want a tracked car. I don't mind something driven "a bit keenly" but don't want something that's been to any track to be driven how you thought the designers intended"

an NSX can be driven anywhere as the designers intended on the public roads/highways etc. In fact at least a track is in a condition that allows you to have a spirited drive ... and as i stated define a "tracked car" to me?
Just cause its been tracked does not mean the car has been trashed?
Any owners who I know and the cars they own (some loevely cars) that are 'tracked' are extremely well looked after and get plenty of servicing done before and after the event; have they thought of this added bonus?
Evidently not.

IMO its just a really daft request and he/she needs to be more specific in what they are asking. Anyway they will likely never know its been tracked; any seller can say no (unless photographed and publicly displayed on a forum such as here).

Whilst I agree that finding what the advertiser is looking for is a big ask, I do feel he has made it pretty clear what he considers 'track use' to be.

WhyOne?
02-10-2014, 10:22 AM
It's a 'Wanted' advert - the chap who wrote it has expressed his preferences. Some of them may turn out to be unrealistic, but it's a starting point. My reading is he doesn't want a car which has been driven hard on a track (and certainly not modified to enhance the cars abilities on-track).

If I was looking to sell a car which broadly matched the description, I would start a conversation with the prospective buyer.....which surely is the objective of the advert.

To accuse the prospective buyer of being misguided and short sighted is at best intolerant and at worst, just plain rude IMHO.

nobby
02-10-2014, 10:39 AM
I referred to the ad NOT the writer! As stated I dont want to get into a war of words with a fellow forum member, so just dont be goin there OK

To accuse the prospective buyer of being misguided and short sighted is at best intolerant and at worst, just plain rude IMHO.

Kaz-kzukNA1
02-10-2014, 10:41 AM
Every single NSX has been on track (kind of) for test driving session before leaving the factory including the ones went through the 'Refresh Plan'. That's why even for a brand new car, the odometer shows some mileage before the delivery to the customer. :);)

britlude
02-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Hope they find one before Silverstone classic next year then :)

Mistercorn
02-10-2014, 11:07 AM
I know the asking price for relatively low mileage facelift cars has been £50k+, but many of those have hung around for a long time and gradually drifted down in price until they have either sold or been taken off the market. Only those who have bought or sold one recently know the actual details. His pricing does seem to be through optimistic and out of the other side, but got to start somewhere.
It is a good way of trying to get hold of a car, keeping a close eye on this forum is another.... I do wonder how many change hands without appearing anywhere. I have had a couple of people express an interest in mine when I'm ready to move it on, as I'm sure a lot of other forum members have.

MC

goldnsx
02-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Interesting ad. He's looking for a garage queen.

I know that people who frequently drive on the track will beat me for the following arguement: track cars show higher wear and tear (engine oil starvation, synchros, wheel bearings and so on). But mainly: the likelyhood of a car spinning into the gravel bed is higher at the track than on a relaxing sunday drive. Track cars are no garage queens and a potential owner looking for the later will recognize a track rat at first sight even if it's still OEM.

These are two separate markets: track cars, average cars and garage queens. The later ones are harder to find as the ones who own them don't sell them.

Track and crash was a no-go for me too back 2001 when I bought mine.

Mistercorn
02-10-2014, 03:37 PM
I agree completely, but does anybody actually use an NSX on track? If I want to go on track I would use my Clio which costs peanuts to fix or my Porsche which is manically quick. More of an issue for me would be previous owners, just because my NSX has been wrapped in cotton-wool when I have owned it, and so far as I can tell for the previous owner, these cars have a lot of history now. I wouldn't make any promises for other owners. All a bit daft IMO.

MC

goldnsx
02-10-2014, 03:52 PM
I agree completely, but does anybody actually use an NSX on track? If I want to go on track I would use my Clio which costs peanuts to fix or my Porsche which is manically quick.
I fully agree on the better/cheaper alternative for the track nowadays. Back in 1991 20-30% (guess) of the cars directly went to the track as the car was built for it. I've seen some of them a decade later and they were in below average shape but sold due to their cheap price tag, most of them not within Switzerland.

But I think it's even more extreme in the market for a Lotus Elise/Exige.

Mistercorn
02-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Hence my comment on previous owners. A wholly unrealistic wishlist. If there is a one owner, sub 40k miles car with no paint and no track use it will be so far out of budget that it just isn't funny. Unless of course the owner doesn't get involved in car forums, hasn't seem my thread on actual car prices, and thinks that it sounds like a good price for a 10+ year old car.

MC

havoc
02-10-2014, 06:30 PM
I agree completely, but does anybody actually use an NSX on track? If I want to go on track I would use my Clio which costs peanuts to fix or my Porsche which is manically quick.
MC

Took my NSX on track for the first time at Spa...and I'm really glad I did...car felt better / more alive / more interesting when pressing on around a track than it does even on fast Scottish A-roads. And I learned more about how it behaves / how high the limits are if you're smooth. Agree with you that as a regular track-day tool it's going to cost more than a hot-hatch, and is less replaceable if you bin it than something like a 911...but come on - it's a supercar, FFS!

Silver Surfer
02-10-2014, 08:38 PM
The Ad author can request all these requirements but the chance of finding a car that fits his bill AND the current owner would want to sell at his asking price is as rare as rocking horse 'stool'.....the only chance he may find one is only if an owner is not a frequent 'car forum' attender or a car enthusiast ....as they may well not be aware of the value of their car....but then they will not see the Wanted Ad either.

Regarding the comments asking the Ad poster to be more specific regarding 'track' exclusion and other requirements etc.....to my reading of the Ad..it sounds pretty specific and exclusive to me...no doubt regarding his requirements.

Well...a few years back..there was 40+ NSX on the track at Castle Combe and Silver Stone Classic ...so they will be excluded.
70% of NSX I see at the forum gatherings have some sort of modification...so they will be excluded.

Good luck to the potential (or little potential) NSX owner who posted the Ad.

NB...All 3 of the NSX I owned or have owned will be excluded...Not that I wanted to sell anyway. ;)

SS

soddy
03-10-2014, 12:27 AM
Personally I do not know what he is getting at and I dont want to get into a war of words with a fellow forum member. The ad states - "I don't want a tracked car. I don't mind something driven "a bit keenly" but don't want something that's been to any track to be driven how you thought the designers intended"

an NSX can be driven anywhere as the designers intended on the public roads/highways etc. In fact at least a track is in a condition that allows you to have a spirited drive ... and as i stated define a "tracked car" to me?
Just cause its been tracked does not mean the car has been trashed?
Any owners who I know and the cars they own (some loevely cars) that are 'tracked' are extremely well looked after and get plenty of servicing done before and after the event; have they thought of this added bonus?
Evidently not.

IMO its just a really daft request and he/she needs to be more specific in what they are asking. Anyway they will likely never know its been tracked; any seller can say no (unless photographed and publicly displayed on a forum such as here).

i think he just doesn't want an nsx that has been driven hard round a track and doesn't mind if it has been driven quickly from time to time on the highway, but just not around a track. so in other words, has not been raked out as we would say in our wee part of the world :) so maybe worrying about engine abuse/gearbox etc. but he would need to understand what the car is capable of taking and like you say driving one round a track properly and looking after the car before and after would mean the car would be in a better condition than one laid up in a warm cosy garage going no where for months/years on end.
i can see both points of view but his wording maybe can be a little clearer and there is no harm in him understanding all of what you are saying as owning and driving an nsx you would know what you are talking about and can advise accordingly. like you say honda designed the car to be driven by a granny and a racing driver, everyday if they wanted to!
as he wants a white one, he basically wants the one in the honda museum in japan as its all original and never been modified interior wise, alarm doubt it'd have one being *** spec and sound system would be factory.

you're just annoyed andrew cause he doesn't like yellow lol. only messin ;)

soddy
03-10-2014, 12:37 AM
Interesting ad. He's looking for a garage queen.

I know that people who frequently drive on the track will beat me for the following arguement: track cars show higher wear and tear (engine oil starvation, synchros, wheel bearings and so on). But mainly: the likelyhood of a car spinning into the gravel bed is higher at the track than on a relaxing sunday drive. Track cars are no garage queens and a potential owner looking for the later will recognize a track rat at first sight even if it's still OEM.

These are two separate markets: track cars, average cars and garage queens. The later ones are harder to find as the ones who own them don't sell them.

Track and crash was a no-go for me too back 2001 when I bought mine.

i think you are right a garage queen and he said what he was willing to go up to, but i'd doubt he'll get what he wants. no harm in asking though he can always review his stipulation and bring it down some. its who wants to sell their pride and joy on here, not many i'd say :)