PDA

View Full Version : The advantage of a Japanese recession...

Rob_Fenn
18-11-2014, 02:19 PM
So, at the beginning of the year you were looking at £250k+ for a late, low mileage NSX-R in Japan. I see now there is one with 22,000km for £106k.

Am i being optimistic that they'll be £50k by the end of the year? ;)

Crockefeller
18-11-2014, 09:25 PM
This Abe chap is keeping my dream of a Type S/R alive. I like him :)

NSX 2000
19-11-2014, 09:45 AM
So, at the beginning of the year you were looking at £250k+ for a late, low mileage NSX-R in Japan. I see now there is one with 22,000km for £106k.

Am i being optimistic that they'll be £50k by the end of the year? ;)

It could, as back in July 2007 it was nearly 250 yen to the pound and only 18 months later (Jan 09) it was less than 125 yen to the pound.

If the markets carry on as they are then I think you would be able to land that car in the UK for less than 6 figures, by the end of the year.

soddy
19-11-2014, 07:30 PM
what about a clean, average mileage, mid 90's na1?
surely they'll be down too?

it might be a good opportunity for some to get an nsx, so it will be worth keeping an eye on the yen to the pound rate.

havoc
19-11-2014, 09:10 PM
A decent Type-S would suit the UK environment quite nicely. Not the kudos of the -R, but probably a more 'usable' car, unless you do regular trackdays...

That said, I still don't have the £50k I'd probably need for an -S...

Senninha
19-11-2014, 10:13 PM
... is that we could all help both the Japanese economy and ourselves by ordering service packs and other parts during this time ...

britlude
19-11-2014, 11:17 PM
and our preferred Japanese suppliers that ship to UK easily are??????????

just for reference of course.....

Rob_Fenn
20-11-2014, 05:15 PM
I used Torque GT for initial research and inspection of cars and they were very helpful.

Earlier in the year i initially aimed to get an NSX-R but then realised i'd be looking at £300k plus so lowered my ambition to a Type S (still £100k for the car alone).

With VAT at 20% then Duty at 10% then the costs to actually freight it over (c£2.5k) and then registering it in the UK... basically at £100k car turns into a £140k car.

Taikyu
21-11-2014, 10:45 PM
If anyone one is serious about buying I have a guy in Japan that works doing exactly this. I also travel over two of three times a year. So might be able to help out.

AR
14-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Bringing a thread back from the dead, but it appears that it is cheaper to buy a tidy NSX in Japan now than in the UK.

Mistercorn
14-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Quite possible. Bit it would be a JDM car, not a UK model.

MC

havoc
14-04-2015, 06:06 PM
...and this is a problem why?!?

- Early cars had the shorter 1st/2nd of the UKDM 94+, but could be had without EPAS
- Type-S
- Type-R

OK, you've a few conversion issues, but not many...and it'd give you an excuse to rip the OEM radio out and replace with something modern...

nobby
14-04-2015, 06:10 PM
They are all JDM cars really as all built there and imported

i own JDM model and there are advantages over UK as Havoc has pointed out and no euro smile rear bumper issues

Quite possible. Bit it would be a JDM car, not a UK model.

MC

soddy
14-04-2015, 11:59 PM
i've seen a few jdm imports appear on ebay, a red one which is around the £26000 mark and lots of goodies, no to little rust on the bits that can rust.
so seems a good time to grab something nice and who cares if its a JDM as not as if there are a big pile left to pick over for reasonable money.

AR
15-04-2015, 12:21 AM
IMHO the JDM cars are better looking than the UK ones, specially the pop up cars, plus who can dismiss the flare in the passenger side!

NZNick
15-04-2015, 12:40 AM
Had the flares confiscated from mine by NZ customs...

Mistercorn
15-04-2015, 09:01 AM
They are all JDM cars really as all built there and imported

i own JDM model and there are advantages over UK as Havoc has pointed out and no euro smile rear bumper issues

So on the one hand you say they are the same, then you say they are different. I am not disputing that they were all made in Japan, but the fact that they are slightly different when produced for a different market, whether these differences make one better than the other or not, combined with the fact that the car has been imported to the UK after being registered in Japan, most likely leading to more difficulty in obtaining the history of the car all combine to mean that a UK market car which was has spent all of its life in the UK will command a higher price than an equivalent car imported from Japan as a JDM model.
I suspect that fewer were sold as UK models as well, rarity increases price. This isn't about one being 'better' than the other, just an observation that JDM cars are generally cheaper and possible reasons why that is the case. Just trying to understand the market.

MC

AR
15-04-2015, 09:50 AM
Mistercom, type S, and NSX-R are hardly undesirable, and they are JDM.

The history part is complete BS as history can be manipulated in any car, more so now that " investors" are circling the NSX.

Do you think that most people who have a minor bump in an NSX would go through the insurance process when it can wipe 20% of their " investment".

Japanese cars once in the UK and well documented and inspected are just another NSX.

mjames75
15-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Jdm cars have a good grading system and any repairs should be declared, nothing wrong with a jdm one in my opinion. same as most imports, like a lhd gt3 rs is cheaper than a rhd, benefit of a jdm car is they are all RHD too

flyingsniffer
15-04-2015, 11:55 AM
I don't think Mistercorn is slagging off JDM cars! Some of you are getting a little over-excited. IMHO once a car is an 'import', it will be less attractive to 'most buyers' than a UK-registered car. I am not talking about ANY specific car, or even limiting that to ones that come from Japan.

It's been the case forever - I had one of 'the 28' officially imported Ford GTs and they commanded a premium over those imported unofficially from the USA, even though they were 99.8% the same car (all LHD) and you could make them 99.9% - the only thing you couldn't was the doorsill tread plate which said 1 of 101.

Mistercorn
15-04-2015, 01:19 PM
Thank you flyingsniffer. I thought I had been clear about that. Obviously not clear enough.

MC

Nick Graves
15-04-2015, 03:54 PM
I don't think Mistercorn is slagging off JDM cars! Some of you are getting a little over-excited. IMHO once a car is an 'import', it will be less attractive to 'most buyers' than a UK-registered car. I am not talking about ANY specific car, or even limiting that to ones that come from Japan.

It's been the case forever - I had one of 'the 28' officially imported Ford GTs and they commanded a premium over those imported unofficially from the USA, even though they were 99.8% the same car (all LHD) and you could make them 99.9% - the only thing you couldn't was the doorsill tread plate which said 1 of 101.

Indeed - even my new S2000 was said to be worth less, because it got off the boat in Belgium. It's probably irrelevant now, but there certainly was a genuine prejudice.