PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a clunk in electronic power steering rack ? ? ?

JohnBell
16-01-2015, 12:30 PM
I would be very grateful for some guidance in solving this problem.

The Honda dealer in Perth, Western Australia, just wants to charge me A$10,000 for a new steering rack.

I have a 1999 Targa Auto, with less than 100,000km on the clock.

Help !

Best wishes

john bell
(dingdong at highwy1 dot com dot au)
[Edit by Kaz-kzukNA1: For spam protection, please replace the blue Italic characters with ' @ ' and ' . '. Please remove the space before/after them as well to make the email address as one word. Thank you.]

britlude
16-01-2015, 04:20 PM
yes, they are horrendously expensive from honda!!! ( if you think that's bad, try pricing up one seat!!!)

is it actually the rack making the clunk or the knuckle joint between the column and rack.... mine developed a knock on the bottom knuckle. just checking as its a far cheaper option!!

if it is the rack, there's a member on NSXPrime that can strip/rebuild the power racks

hope that helps!

Kaz-kzukNA1
18-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Unfortunately, it's the fate with any NSX EPS rack and sooner or later, you will get this rattle.
The worst thing you can do with the EPS rack is to leave the damaged/tore rack boot allowing the moisture entering the rack. Big No No.

I touched on this previously on here but you can see what's involved through the process carried out by KSP Engineering in Japan.
It's in Japanese but you will get the idea; http://www.tyiz.jp/NSX/PowerSteering/GearboxOH.html

Also, you can see the mechanical rattle through this video clip showing before/after the service.
http://www.tyiz.jp/NSX/PowerSteering/GearboxOH/GearboxOH.wmv

Nowadays, even the Honda dealers in Japan are sending the EPS rack to KSP Engineering so if you have a friend in Japan, you may want to try their service.
Very reasonable cost and quick turnaround as well.
Unfortunately, they don't speak English fluently so you may have problem communicating with them.

Alternatively, as Jonathan mentioned, member 'd1 guy' on NSXPrime.com is offering EPS rack rebuild service.

Kaz