PDA

View Full Version : Is this worth any further effort? CV joint rollers

darock
11-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Hello Guys,

I started to rebuild the left inner CV joint like Kaz does it (Thanks to the awesome blog!) and found the following ...

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8739/16486023584_fc23791d7a_b.jpg

Do you think its worth putting this back together? The bearing surface is massively worn. Interestingly, this CV joint did not have a lot of play. Sure there was some but not as much as you would expect from this picture.

Two out of three rollers look like that. One does not show any sign of wear.

Does anyone have spare rollers? Or some bad CV joints he is willing to sell so I can harvest some parts?

I don't want to buy another CV joint and wait two month for it to arrive from the US.

RockAuto btw refused to refund all the money for the bad driveshafts. So I have three driveshafts and none is useable :(

Bernhard

NSXGB
11-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Hi Bernhard,

I have aver one just like that on a RH driveshaft. Would be interested if you find someone with some spares that has one for me too.

Regarding the Rock auto shafts, you have three now, do you think it is just the difference in design of rollers causing the backlash and they would be ok if used? Considering how many have been used by the guys on Prime and Kaz too? I'd be concerned too from what you have reported but surely it's worth trying one out?

darock
12-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Hi Bernhard,

I have aver one just like that on a RH driveshaft. Would be interested if you find someone with some spares that has one for me too.

Regarding the Rock auto shafts, you have three now, do you think it is just the difference in design of rollers causing the backlash and they would be ok if used? Considering how many have been used by the guys on Prime and Kaz too? I'd be concerned too from what you have reported but surely it's worth trying one out?

Talked to some of the users on prime who run surtrack driveshafts. It seems, that they don't have play normally. Mine probably are all from the same production batch and there must have gone something wrong with the clearances. The manufacturer btw did not tell me if that is normal or not. Who else should know it if not the manufacturer.

I have no good feeling about putting them in really :(

I will pull the right driveshaft today and see if there is at least one roller inside that is still ok. I hope so. Maybe a quick and dirty fix for now so I can drive and find a permanent solution for it later this season.

Its wonderful weather today ... I should be driving, not messing with crappy aftermarket parts :( ... sucks

Bernhard