PDA

View Full Version : Auto or manual and driving my first NSX

philboo
27-04-2015, 09:40 AM
Sorry for this epic post, I hope you don't mind it going in general discussion even though I'm not an owner yet.

Yesterday I did a round trip of around 9 hours to visit Graham from Plansperformance to drive an automatic NSX and a manual NSX.

The reason for this is I’m seriously considering the 16K mile automatic he has for sale even though my heart says I should buy a manual. Also, I’ve had some really superb conversations already with a few members here and I’ve only been officially on the forum a week.

To give a little background, I’m 43 and the first car I saved for and purchased was a used 1988 Honda CRX (E511NMK). It was the first of the face lifted (curved not angled) CRXs and I loved it. At the time Honda was developing the NSX and when a Honda garage opened in my local town they had an NSX in for the launch. My younger brother and I sat in it and dreamed of owning one, obviously it was a red/black one and a Honda demo car I assume.

Years fly by, my other car love was the 1990’s Lotus Elan. Over time I’ve had a couple of used Elan’s and a couple of new Elises. Each time they’ve been my main car and been very reliable.

I’ve never bought the cars for the performance, it’s always because I loved how they look and what they are (from an engineering perspective) which I accept is personal preference.

Over the last few years I’ve toyed with the idea buying a classic car as I have a main car and use the train for my main work journeys. I looked at the Ferrari 348 (as it was around the most affordable Ferrari and I also liked the style from when I grew up). Based on maintenance costs, comments about it being a bad point in Ferrari’s models and my head being stronger than my heart I left that idea (probably a mistake as now I’d be looking at 10-20K profit in just 2 years).

I then recently thought about the NSX. What have I been thinking about Ferraris all this time for when there’s the NSX. I suppose it’s like most things, you become fixated on one line of research and forget about others. I also never realised how few UK cars actually existed so probably never really thought about them as so rare I wouldn’t be able to find one (how wrong am I).

(anyone still reading, I will get to NSXs soon).

So I started looking just a few weeks ago and saw Plans auto 1991 NSX on PH with the 1 owner from new, It sounded perfect except the auto box. I hate autos, that crappy gear stick, the jerky changes, no control over it, I wasn’t sold on the idea.

Problem is, I’m one of these people that really looks after things and I quickly realised that a manual in that type of condition is going to be approaching or more than £50K at the moment (if I could even find one). Some good comments from owners on here about imports, going for high mileage, waiting for prices to fall, etc. but deep down I know what I’m like and I’d always be wanting to have that ‘new’ NSX I couldn’t afford (and still can’t if I’m honest). Also, if I wait, in another couple of years I may not be able to afford it.

So, off to Plans as advised my the forum members. It was a nice sunny day when I left home so it wasn’t a bad journey. Eventually I found Graham’s house, unlike the description he’d given me about it having two NSXs on the drive it actually had three !

Graham made me a brew and we sat having a chat while I bored him on my reasons for looking at the cars (mainly all the above) and he talked to me about some of the cars he’s owned or still does. It was a great way to de-stress after the journey.

We had three NSXs to try, a UK auto, a UK manual (no PAS) and a manual import (no PAS). Please remember I’ve never driven an NSX, just sat in one 20 years ago. I stood and looked at them, they are dated I thought to myself, nothing like the curves of an Alfa 4C or the look of a V8 Vantage (both I could stretch to…just). Hmmm, I’ll see what they are like to drive.

After a little manoeuvring of cars he said we’d try the auto first. Graham went to turn it around whilst I sat in the passenger seat. Wow, we drove around a tiny single track road outside his house about 5 miles an hour but already I was shocked, what a view, I just couldn’t believe how it felt compared to the look of the car from the outside. It looks slim and stretched but inside it feels wide and low and as though I could touch the road.

We swapped positions, quick seat adjustment and off we went down a very nice quite country road. My first feeling was the steering weight, it very similar to my 1990s Lotus Elans so I was happy with that, my concern had been the electric power steering wouldn’t be very weighted. I continued the drive and the thing that hit me was just the driving position and view, I couldn’t get over how it felt, just a glimpse of the front arches on either side but other than that it’s all about the view, it’s amazing. The thing I liked about the auto was I could just drive, turn, accelerate, brake, that was it, and look at this view. All to quickly we arrived back as Graham’s.

So, at this point I want to say something about the look of the car. Graham took the next car up the little track and then drove back down to me whilst I stood waiting, as he drove down towards me I watched, wow, it may look dated when it isn’t moving but when this car is driving towards you and you’re stood watching it, it looks amazing.

We swapped to the manual UK non-PAS car. Off we went again, same route. The clutch is slightly heavy, nothing terrible but I did think I’d not fancy using it day in day out in traffic (not that I am aiming for that) but the overriding advantage I found wasn’t the gear box but the steering. It was lighter, I could feel even more of the road, it was amazing. Graham said that we’d compare this with the import NSX manual as he thought it was related to the front wheel geometry and tires more than the power steering (or lack of). We continued, the feelings toward the driving experience didn’t change, wow, I’m in an NSX, it’s amazing. Yes, it’s a lovely gearbox, click click and I feel like I’m making an effort to do something, once we had reached 5th though it didn’t really feel any difference. I’m not buying for track days, I’m buying to take it out on a nice day and enjoy the car.

So far this was my favourite, not because of the gearbox but because of the steering feel.

Back at Graham’s again. Time for the final one. Import, manual, no PAS and the ‘best’ gearbox option Graham said as it’s geared differently and lower final drive.

We set off, very quickly I said, the steering in this is the same as the PAS auto, it’s not as much feeling as the 2nd car. That’s what I thought he said, it’s the tires and geometry. If I’m honest I didn’t drive this car as well, the biting point was different, the steering wasn’t as nice as the 2nd car and I actually didn’t feel it as relaxing to drive as either of the other two cars. I did drop a gear and put my foot down and it was very smooth, but pulling away from stand still I wasn’t impressed with myself.

So, back at Graham’s one last time. He’s given me 2 hours of his Sunday and we’ve driven three cars, I’d never driven one before. I won’t lie, I felt like a teenager, I was grinning, excited about the idea of owning one of these cars. We chatted about what’s about, what he has sold, the auto he has I’m interested in. I won’t lie, I told Graham, it’s the look of the auto stick which puts me off autos as much as anything. Plus, it’s for old people an auto surely.

We chatted a little more and then I go outside to take one last look at the trio of NSXs before I head back home. I couldn’t have cared a second about the 4hour plus return journey, I was amazed. I’ve not driven Ferrari’s or McLaren’s but I’ve driven Lotus, Porsche, Audi R8, etc. Usually (especially when I drove the Aston) you look at the car, think wow, get it and drive them and it’s never quite as good as you imagine. Not today, I stood and looked at them, yes, they look like a 90’s Japanese sports car but when you’re in it it’s like nothing I’ve ever driven, it was simply amazing. Auto or manual the view and driving position/sensation was incredible, I feel it’s the closest I’d ever get to the driving feel of a McLaren.

I have to own one, which I’m still not 100% but I don’t think either manual or auto would be a disappointment.

The NSX in 1990 must have been amazing, I cannot imagine what Porsche or Ferrari must have thought when they drove one. I can only dream what a McLaren F1 was like as the NSX must have been out of this world. It feels futuristic in many ways even now inside the ‘cockpit’.

I totally understand now why many owners on here say they just drive them all the time, I don’t blame you they’re amazing.

I drove home, called my brother and told him what I’d been doing, he was just as excited as I had been, why hadn’t I done this years ago I ask myself ?

Many thanks to Graham for his time, cup of tea and the chance to drive the cars. It was an amazing couple of hours. Thank you also to the members that responded to my posting and also sent me messages, it’s been a very warm welcome to the forum.a

nobby
27-04-2015, 11:04 AM
very sensible approach in visiting Plans and at least you had the opportunity to test the various types. You at least know now what you can have if you decide to purchase the NSX.
Happy to read you were more than happy with the auto variant and interesting reading.

They are a great car, and even better when you get the opportunity to drive it. With my car I am happy to let most people have a go and usually they end up not knowing what to say after they have driven it.

goldtop
27-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Nice write up. Definitely a good idea to take the time to travel.

How 'enthusiastically' were you able to drive the cars? I know it's always difficult to do this on a test drive, but were you OK to push the engine+trans response at least a little?* On bendy stuff as well as the straight?

How did the auto do on the automated downchanges? I ask because that's always been the bain of my life with driving normal autos for fun: you decelerate for a corner or roundabout, gearbox stays in higher gear, then there's a perfectly OK gap in front of you, so get your foot back on the gas, and then (finally!) the box decides it should change down. As you're steering, too, the car loses its composure, you get the gear-change limbo followed by an ungainly and amateurish surge.

Is the NSX auto noticeably smarter/better? (Can you tell I've driven a lot of not-so-smart autos - including lesser Hondas? :) )

* (I scared the cr*p out of a small dealer when hitting 8000rpm in what he thought was a shopping-trolley Corolla.)

philboo
27-04-2015, 04:11 PM
I was very sensible but did put my foot down a little when joining a dual carriageway and all of them seemed very responsive, I suppose it was easiest to drive the auto quicker as I didn't have to take care with the gearbox and clutch so slowed down later approaching corners. The auto didn't behave as I expected, I thought it'd be up and down trying to find the right gear (especially when I was just going at a slow pace and slowing for a speed bump) and if I put my foot down it'd be making a load of noise and doing nothing until it kicked down but that wasn't the experience, it just seemed to work.

I'm sure if I'd asked Graham to demo the car for me he'd have been able to scare me to death with what they could do but that isn't what I'm buying one for. Overall, the auto behaved really well and I drove it how I'd drive it normally but probably with more caution on bends as I didn't know the roads and they weren't my car. Thinking about your comment about slowing down for a roundabout, I didn't even think about the auto being in too high a gear as I slowed for bend or a tight corner, we came off a dual carriageway, nearly stopped for a give way then carried on, it seemed fine and I didn't get the jerky feel I suppose I expected it was much more like someone else was just changing the gears for me. I'm sure an experienced NSX driver would probably been predicting the bends and really using the gears to maximum effect but I'm not racing driver.

Nick Graves
27-04-2015, 05:59 PM
Nice write up. Definitely a good idea to take the time to travel.

How 'enthusiastically' were you able to drive the cars? I know it's always difficult to do this on a test drive, but were you OK to push the engine+trans response at least a little?* On bendy stuff as well as the straight?

How did the auto do on the automated downchanges? I ask because that's always been the bain of my life with driving normal autos for fun: you decelerate for a corner or roundabout, gearbox stays in higher gear, then there's a perfectly OK gap in front of you, so get your foot back on the gas, and then (finally!) the box decides it should change down. As you're steering, too, the car loses its composure, you get the gear-change limbo followed by an ungainly and amateurish surge.

Is the NSX auto noticeably smarter/better? (Can you tell I've driven a lot of not-so-smart autos - including lesser Hondas? :) )

* (I scared the cr*p out of a small dealer when hitting 8000rpm in what he thought was a shopping-trolley Corolla.)

I agree - plus when you go to apply throttle in a corner apex, they bog & then downshift.

I drive the Leg End flappy-manually most of the time and then it's utterly fantastic. I should imagine the NSX is the same. Of course, having a column shift instead of two paddles might take some getting used to.

And yes - great report! These things are very sensitive to tyres/geometry. Just look out for the seized caster adjusters.

Philip
27-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Hi PhiL,

glad you had fun test driving three NSX's in one day you lucky bugger. When driving my auto, I usually change up and down manually, ie push the stick forward for upshifts, and backwards for slowing down. It works well and makes you feel more
in control. When I feel in a more relaxed mode I just drive it in "D" and let the gearbox do the work for me. Mind you, when you floor the gas pedal and the gearbox does a double kick down, boy does it shift.
best of luck whichever one you choose.

cheers,

phil

soddy
30-04-2015, 08:06 PM
hi mate

great reading your experiences in the auto and manual and to hear your first experience driving an nsx, something i have to do myself at some stage.
it sounds like great fun and interesting to hear what the driving position etc is like. i enjoyed your honest write up of first experience driving in an nsx.

i'll have to get a spin in one now lol.