PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Esprit

paulc
05-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Anybody on here owned an Esprit?? Looking at buying a 1990's 2.2 NA, would be gratefully if you could point me in the direction for any potential issues to look for.

Regards

Paul

exiges1
05-05-2015, 09:25 PM
If you can have Gerald at GST Performance (Newmarket) look it over. Years of experience with Esprits's. Worth an hours labour to get his view of what potential problems you could get into (he won't travel need to get the car to him). He looked after my S4 Élan for 4 years, top guy.

Lots of info also on Lotus Esprit World website.

kingsley
05-05-2015, 09:30 PM
Not a 1990, .... Red Esprit Turbo 1987 lovely looking car, watch out for parts issues from various manufactures, some hard to source now, especially Citroen transmission parts, cam belts must be changed very two years, petrol tanks tend to rot, check body for stress cracks, hard to work on. Interior very dated now and can look a bit kit carish inside. Ended up with a fence post through the bodywork and into the front passenger seat.

Kingsley

paulc
06-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Many thanks Kingsley, really appreciated, this one has the Renault transmission parts which understand are a little easier to source bits for. Its had a brand new fuel tank fitted and good service history for a least the last couple of years, belts where changed 2 years ago, the car has done very little mileage since. I will check the body work very carefully. Hope you where ok after the fence post incident???

paulc
06-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Many thanks, will do.

Regards

Paul

paulc
06-05-2015, 01:50 PM
If you can have Gerald at GST Performance (Newmarket) look it over. Years of experience with Esprits's. Worth an hours labour to get his view of what potential problems you could get into (he won't travel need to get the car to him). He looked after my S4 Élan for 4 years, top guy.

Lots of info also on Lotus Esprit World website.

This LEW website site is excellent, many thanks