PDA

View Full Version : nsx timing belt service

unclebob
22-06-2015, 04:05 PM
anyone recommend a dealership, doesnt matter where it is, for the timing belt change and what labour cost they are charging?

L696ULO
23-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Hi unclebob,

I had the timing belt changed by Norton Way, Letchworth in January this year. Bryan Smith is the man to contact there, bryan.smith@nortonway.com (bryan.smith@nortonway.com) tel: 01462 754364
The labour was £588 inc VAT and an extra £75 inc VAT to have the valves adjusted.
Their quote for the parts was £1,539 inc VAT which included the water pump, harmonic balancer, timing belt adjuster and spring. They are very accomodating and will fit parts you supply or a mixture of theirs and yours.
Also got a free courtesy car.

hope this helps
Rich

matpp
23-06-2015, 04:03 PM
That's interesting: these are the labour prices quoted by Bryan for work I'm having done before the SC.

Timing belt & water pump £675.00 (plus coolant)
LMA’s £360.00 in addition to the above (includes engine removal)
Check engine mounts included in above costs
Compression check £50.00 (FOC if LMA’a replaced)
Valve clearances £150.00 with timing belt replacement (FOC if LMA’s replaced)
Sump replacement £120.00
Replace cooling system visual inspection FOC
Replace header tank £75.00 (£25.00 with waterpump, FOC with LMA’s)

All inc. VAT.

So £87.00 more for the timing belt/water pump etc and £75.00 more for adjusting the valve clearances plus the engine's coming out for the LMA's so it should make it an easier job.....maybe their labour charge has gone up since January?

Hi unclebob,

I had the timing belt changed by Norton Way, Letchworth in January this year. Bryan Smith is the man to contact there, bryan.smith@nortonway.com (bryan.smith@nortonway.com) tel: 01462 754364
The labour was £588 inc VAT and an extra £75 inc VAT to have the valves adjusted.
Their quote for the parts was £1,539 inc VAT which included the water pump, harmonic balancer, timing belt adjuster and spring. They are very accomodating and will fit parts you supply or a mixture of theirs and yours.
Also got a free courtesy car.

hope this helps
Rich

Pride
23-06-2015, 04:46 PM
That's interesting: these are the labour prices quoted by Bryan for work I'm having done before the SC.

Timing belt & water pump £675.00 (plus coolant)
LMA’s £360.00 in addition to the above (includes engine removal)
Check engine mounts included in above costs
Compression check £50.00 (FOC if LMA’a replaced)
Valve clearances £150.00 with timing belt replacement (FOC if LMA’s replaced)
Sump replacement £120.00
Replace cooling system visual inspection FOC
Replace header tank £75.00 (£25.00 with waterpump, FOC with LMA’s)

All inc. VAT.

So £87.00 more for the timing belt/water pump etc and £75.00 more for adjusting the valve clearances plus the engine's coming out for the LMA's so it should make it an easier job.....maybe their labour charge has gone up since January?

Maybe he can tell that you're coming from abroad to get the work done???

matpp
23-06-2015, 05:41 PM
Maybe he can tell that you're coming from abroad to get the work done???

Yeah, like the Paris restaurants who charge more to the Americans and then expect an American 15% tip (minimum) as they don't know any better.....I'll have a chat with Bryan tomorrow, watch this space. But they have offered me a courtesy car which saves a rental.

L696ULO
23-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Hi Mathieu

I've got the quotes at the office, I'll pm you tomorrow afternoon with my quote. I had all the coolant hoses replaced at the same time and from memory I think the coolant was £36, I did source a majority of the parts from the USA leaving Norton Way to provide a few bolts and consumables.

Rich

unclebob
24-06-2015, 03:01 PM
were u happy wit the work done? no leaking rocker gaskets or missing bolts?

havoc
24-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Norton Way have a good rep, so if you're anywhere near them that'd be a safe bet.

If you're in the midlands, I've always been happy with my local dealers - Listers (ex-Avonvale) in Stratford upon Avon. They did a fair amount of work for me last year - TB, water pump, cover, LMAs, plugs, valve clearances, couple of dozen oil seals, all the filters etc. and the total labour bill was I think in the £800-900 range, so sounds broadly comparable.

Alternatives are Plans (good rep, but never used them) and VTEC Direct (ditto). Other option of course is to ask Kaz, but he tends to do major-level refresh work rather than simple servicing, and he's probably little cheaper than the others (albeit the attention to detail will be second to none...).

L696ULO
25-06-2015, 06:03 AM
were u happy wit the work done? no leaking rocker gaskets or missing bolts?

Everything looks as it should be. I chose NW because they do see a fair few NSXs in for the same work and they are reasonably close to me. I did contemplate VTECH direct but the distance did warrant it.

Rich

Button
25-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Hi, I use VTec in Winsford Cheshire, as do a number of others based further north. Whilst a small independant workshop they know NSX's very well and usually you see another one or even 2 there at the same time. Give them a call - it was 2 years ago since I had the Cambelt done - inc Water Pump, tensioner, cam cover seals, replace woodruff key and aux pully but the cost both parts and labour was far lower than these figures quoted.