PDA

View Full Version : brake discs?

larjammer
13-07-2015, 07:24 PM
whats the forum recommendation on front discs? mine need replacing and honda want my shirt...

nigel
13-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Can't go wrong with Brembo Slotted so they won't crack.
There's a company called something like Bandi, (can't remember the exact name) or some such name that in fact makes Brembos.
Puts them in a plain brown box and charges 1/3 less as they're not in a fancy red box.
I bought mine years ago and they're the danglies.

Cheers
nigel

NSXGB
13-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Can't go wrong with Brembo Slotted so they won't crack.
There's a company called something like Bandi, (can't remember the exact name) or some such name that in fact makes Brembos.
Puts them in a plain brown box and charges 1/3 less as they're not in a fancy red box.
I bought mine years ago and they're the danglies.

Cheers
nigel

Nige, you might be thinking of Bradi, I have some EBC brake discs which have Bradi stamped on the edge.

havoc
13-07-2015, 08:42 PM
I've got either Brembo or EBC blanks on the front - forget which, think EBC. Work well for road use, I've done a couple of track sessions where I've avoided abusing them and they've not caused any problems.

Kaz-kzukNA1
13-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Hi, larjammer.

Needs bit more information about your NSX as well as your driving style.

Spec of your brake calliper such as the OEM early smaller spec or the later larger one?
Any modification that may change the weight distribution or brake balance?
Driving condition/environment such as frequent track sessions, etc?
Best to replace the pad at the same time but if not, what kind of pad are you using? If using racing pad, the disc material/characteristic needs consideration.

Kaz

larjammer
14-07-2015, 06:34 AM
its a stock 96 car. my driving style is limited mileage!
since i live in roundabout city (milton keynes) something capable of repeated high speed braking with no / little fade would be nice, for the occasional escape from fanboys.
i was going to use oe pads, my experience of oe porsche pads has shown them to be better than anything on the aftermarket. i was hoping for the same from honda.

nobby
14-07-2015, 07:41 AM
i run stoptech grooved all round. no problems as yet.
would recomend

Senninha
14-07-2015, 09:17 AM
I've tried OEM & aftermarket pads and discs in various combinations. I now use EBC plain dics and EBC RedStuff pads all round and hvae the best brake pedal and feel Ive had in years. I understand this to now be a fairl common set-up for UK NSX's

HTH, rgds Paul

Kaz-kzukNA1
14-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Based on what you wrote and my own experience with similar driving environment, you seemed to have the earlier spec smaller brake setup with massive brake balance towards the front.
No track session but occasional fast street driving and limited annual mileage. As you didn’t ask about the rear, I presume you are still using the OEM pad/disc and still enough meat/thickness left on them and planning to keep using this on this occasion.

If this is the case, then for your brake size, brake balance, driving conditions, etc, it’s better to stay with the OEM front pad unless you are replacing all four corners at the same time.
I think OEM front pads were only about GBP60 for the set but not sure whether you can still get it or not.

If you use aftermarket pad only at the front with your setup, you will be shifting the brake balance even further towards the front and end up with locking up the front much earlier stage allowing that dreadful classic ABS to cause so called ‘ABS understeer’ or simply upset the chassis behaviour under spirited driving.
I was told that OEM front pads were tuned to compensate this brake balance going too much towards the front.

For the front brake disc, you don’t need anything special for the conditions you wrote.
Just plain disc from well-known source is fine. OEM one is mega expensive for the front so just get something from EBC, Dixcel or the ones mentioned by others.
Please make sure to get the correct size as some of the manufactures/sellers are listing the wrong spec especially for the later models.

Kaz