PDA

View Full Version : Protective clear film

marknsx
25-09-2015, 08:35 AM
New paint work. A clear film protection seemed a great idea to protect my investment. My research led me to a company in the north of England and a quote that has floored me! The details are as follows;
Pricing;
"Using the amazing market leading 2nd generation “self-healing” film , where should the film be scratched, e.g., swirl marks, these will heal over a short period of time, or healing is instant when hot water is poured over the affected area. The film will protect your vehicle from stone chipping, minor scuffs and abrasions and has a clear gloss topcoat making it virtually invisible when installed on a car. The film is also resistant to vandalism and atmospheric pollution.
As we discussed this is not a car that we have a design for so it would need to be designed from scratch by our design director, the cost to design and install whole car coverage to your car would be £5200.00 + vat, we would need your car for at least 4-5 days to complete the work.

All the above prices include installation and are valid for a period of 30 days. If the area is being resprayed then we will be able to apply the film from the 8th day afterwards. Please be advised that we will apply the film to the car as it is presented to us, any paintwork defects or blemishes are the responsibility of the owner before bringing the car for the Paintshield application.

The installation work would be carried out at our workshop where we have a clean environment perfect for the installation of the paint protection film, and an excellent waiting area with T.V., wireless internet, games consoles and Tea/Coffee facilities. However If requiring complete coverage we would need the car for around 3-5 days but could offer a courtesy car if booked in advance.

All our parts come with our comprehensive 4 Year Warranty and unique "no failure" guarantee (in normal road use). As the film prevents stone chipping, scratching and minor scuffs and abrasions to your paint this retains pristine/original paintwork and has the benefit of increased re-sale value for your vehicle. It is fully removable should you require this at a later date, with no harm to the original manufacturer’s paintwork".

It sounded perfect until the price. So what do I do now. I don't think a part coverage is the answer. I would be worried about paint discolouration.
Any thoughts out there?

britlude
25-09-2015, 09:37 AM
hmmm.. £5200+VAT is another very good respray... or several vinyl wraps....

Kaz-kzukNA1
25-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Drive, live, enjoy.

As Jonathan said, with that price, you can do another re-spary in the future....

Kaz

Mistercorn
25-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Good to see they have a nice waiting area if it might take 4-5 days.

MC

havoc
25-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Drive the car.
Enjoy the car.
Ignore the stone-chips.
Use a semi-pro / pro detailer to tidy up the paintwork when it needs it.

...repeat as necessary...

More seriously - £5k for protective film?!? Several words spring to mind, very few repeatable...

Senninha
25-09-2015, 09:16 PM
£5200?!?!?!?! WTF are they smokin as it sure aint legal ... drive it enjoy it and as above, worry about every 5 yrs or if selling ..

L696ULO
25-09-2015, 09:23 PM
And it's plus VAT so add another £1,000 + to the total !!

lotusolly
25-09-2015, 09:41 PM
It does appear to be a great product and the edge it has for me is that it leaves a smooth finish to the paint appearance rather than the orange peel effect commonly found with other protective films. I was quoted £1200 to cover just the bonnet, front bumper and wings. When the cost of covering with film is as much as a quality repaint, I really can't see much point though.
I haven't heard of any cases but in the event of an accident, I could imagine there being quite a battle to get an insurance company to replace it as well!

marknsx
26-09-2015, 11:01 PM
Thanks all. I will go with the stone chip risk and pay later to re spray or touch up. An issue with a number of these companies seems to be template. No one has one for the NSX. So creating one is apparently expensive.