PDA

View Full Version : For sale at auction

sorepaws
28-10-2015, 07:57 PM
http://www.silverstoneauctions.com/honda-nsx-6554

NZNick
28-10-2015, 08:55 PM
That's quite a find - less than 6000 miles. Hope it hasn't seized up from lack of use.....

error in the blurb - says that production continued until 2009.

harkes
29-10-2015, 02:11 AM
Zero oil pressure at idle??? Must be a faulty sensor.

Mistercorn
29-10-2015, 05:17 AM
That's quite a find - less than 6000 miles. Hope it hasn't seized up from lack of use.....

error in the blurb - says that production continued until 2009.

It also says that Senna had a major input to suspension and chassis setup and that there were only minor mods during the production life. Minor things like engine, gearbox, brake disks and calipers, interior and exterior styling, ABS system, steering setup, exhaust system....

MC

Nick Graves
29-10-2015, 11:24 AM
Poor car.

Like a beautiful girl who's never been...oh never mind.

Rob_Fenn
29-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Absolutely lovely example. I would want to know how it has been looked for after, because there is a good chance the engine will need attention.

Having said that, could you use it? I don't think i could; i'd feel so guilty. I'd put it in the living room instead :)

I am aware of lower mileage examples in the UK, one of which is sitting with a seized crank, and the other recently had a replacement crank.

drmikey
30-10-2015, 01:23 PM
If anyone is after something similar (91 coupe manual silver)- but with 17000km on the clock, inspected by Mr Uehara San himself, let me know. Its a little cheaper than the guide price on this as well.

marknsx
30-10-2015, 01:47 PM
Hi
I might be tempted with a second car.

Button
31-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Looks a lovely example but seems rather odd that the speedo is in Km/h yet only goes up to 180? Surely this is not right.

britlude
31-10-2015, 04:38 PM
yup, correct, JDM dash only goes up to 180 kph.... cruise control is limited lower than the rest of the world too, (114 kph, just over 70mph, comes to mind) i really must look into that too!

ianhb
31-10-2015, 05:51 PM
My cruise control is max 68mph=110kph. (I have a MPH speedo conversion) Max speed in Japan is 100kph I believe.

Pride
31-10-2015, 07:12 PM
I remember a few years ago on the way back from Le Mans setting my UK spec NA1 cruise control at 130mph and it felt strangely fabulous when I took my foot of the throttle, relaxed while still on full standby.:D

Kaz-kzukNA1
01-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Bit off-topic from the OP so apology in advance…..

For the JDM owners, through the factory fitted ‘Custom Order Plan’, one could have ordered the 280kph speedo from certain year model.
However, unless you are regularly taking your NSX to the track session, the driver will be using less than half of the full scale most of the time as the max speed limit in Japan is 100kph (just over 62mph) even on the motor way and most of the A roads are limited at 50 – 60kph (just above 31 - 37mph).
Addition to this, JDM NSX is equipped with the software speed limit at 180kph through the ECU and it will cut the fuel so not something you want to hit frequently when the cyl is under massive energy.

It’s not mandatory to have this limiter by law in Japan so it’s not illegal to disable it and since VSS signal is defined by JIS, all Japanese car manufactures are using exactly the same VSS signal except for the number of pulses per sensor rotation so fairly easy to create certain electronics circuit to mimic the VSS.
You can also re-write the data region of the ECU ROM if you know the code.

There are several ways to enable the cruise control on JDM NSX well beyond 70mph.

Kaz

ianhb
01-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Unexpected fuel cut accelerating through 112mph could be nasty on a German autobahn if an aggressive Porsche/Merc/BMWetc was behind you, a high risk of a rear end shunt at high speed. Doesn't bear thinking about. A serious safety issue perhaps??

Senninha
01-11-2015, 10:47 PM
Unexpected fuel cut accelerating through 112mph could be nasty on a German autobahn ...... A serious safety issue perhaps??

No. It's JDM spec with a country speed limit below what you're referencing. If you want to play with the Germans then update or buy a euro spec. The safety issue in this context would be the driver if they hadn't prepared their car for the journey they planned.

ianhb
02-11-2015, 02:06 AM
Sorry, still off topic, but replying.

No, I was just trying to make a point that a lot of JDM cars have been imported in to Europe, and I thought that it was a reasonable assumption that a fair number of owners of same would be unaware of a possible 112mph top speed limiter. I certainly hadn't discovered the fact, until now, reading Kaz's slightly "off topic" note above, in my 18months of ownership.

One of the main reasons for joining this forum is that their are a lot of "senior" members with years of knowledge about these wonderful cars that they can pass on to the more inexperienced.

The speed limiter issue is not in any of the advertised specs that I have ever seen in the past 2 years, nor mentioned in any of the currently advertised JDM spec cars that I could find.

Of course, once you know about the issue, then its possible to do something about it, which is what I will do as soon as practicable.

Alternatively, selling the JDM and buying a euro spec, as you seem to suggest, would not be an option for most people, for obvious reasons.

Nick Graves
02-11-2015, 05:59 PM
What you probably need is called a Yellow Box.

It's what the JDM brigade use to delimit their cars - and convert speedos to MPH. I dunno if they make an NSX one.

britlude
02-11-2015, 06:30 PM
mine is JDM and has a magic box intercepting the speedo signal as it enters the dash and modifying it to give an mph equivalent (or in my case a mph reading around 10% too high!, it shows 78-80 when the sat nav says i'm doing 70! )

this however hasn't changed the cruise control levels, so the speedo reads mph, but still limited to the 68mph cruise control maximum...

... still, i only really use the cruise control in 50mph road works on the motorway!

L696ULO
03-11-2015, 08:01 AM
mine is JDM and has a magic box intercepting the speedo signal as it enters the dash and modifying it to give an mph equivalent (or in my case a mph reading around 10% too high!, it shows 78-80 when the sat nav says i'm doing 70! )

this however hasn't changed the cruise control levels, so the speedo reads mph, but still limited to the 68mph cruise control maximum...

... still, i only really use the cruise control in 50mph road works on the motorway!

Perhaps Geoff should have gone down the JDM route those speeds sound perfect for him. ��

ianhb
03-11-2015, 11:42 PM
Mine does the same as Jonathan's. I am booked in to see Kaz soon so he will know what to do about it all. I am wary in UK about licence losing speeds to check the max.

Senninha
04-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Perhaps Geoff should have gone down the JDM route those speeds sound perfect for him. ��

He's even been slow to post of late, hope all is well ...

Hagasan
14-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Well this Silver NSX sold for £47,500 today + fees. Bidding started at the £44k.

NZNick
15-11-2015, 03:41 AM
Cost the new owner 53.4k - that's some fee!

Magic*rat
15-11-2015, 10:49 AM
Still seems quite cheap though, even with the fee!

PeterW
15-11-2015, 10:57 AM
There was an interesting article by Paul Lewis (of BBC Money Box) in the FT recently about buying and selling at auction. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/29fcbf30-7bf5-11e5-98fb-5a6d4728f74e.html#axzz3rYVLELKz
With low interest rates on savings and uncertainty in shares and bonds, a lot of people have turned to "alternative assets" like paintings, fine wine ....and classic cars. But the article highlights that if the assets are being traded trough auction houses, the big winners are the auctioneers. The headline gains in asset prices don't take account of the fees.
btw, I'm posting this only as a comment on the different ways of buying and selling cars. I'm not much interested in the "classic car as an investment" thing.

Peter

Hagasan
16-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Cost the new owner 53.4k - that's some fee!

Shouldn't be problem. It's now for sale at £75k!

NZNick
17-12-2015, 01:51 AM
If it sells for £75k, that's a huge appreciation in just a year or so.....

L696ULO
17-12-2015, 07:23 AM
If it sells for £75k, that's a huge appreciation in just a year or so.....

Even larger as it was auctioned last month, Nov 2015 !