PDA

View Full Version : My honest thoughts on my NSX

manisandher
18-11-2015, 03:39 PM
It’s coming up to 6 months since I let my 2004 LBBP go, and with a bit of spare time on my hands, I thought I’d give my honest thoughts about my NSX.

Before the NSX, my daily driver of 9 years was an S2000 AP1 – bought from new in March 2003. What a car. And what a handful in the wet! But a great learning platform. My main recollection is the snugness in the driver’s seat, the feeling of being totally encapsulated by the car (even with the roof down). The seating position was pretty much perfect for me. I don’t think I’ve ever felt ‘as one’ with any other car that I’ve owned. But for me, the real highlights were its 9k redline and its incredible gear shift – the best I’ve ever come across, bar none. The steering was also a very good – fast and precise (with perhaps a little less feedback than a good hydraulic system).

I’ll limit my thoughts on the NSX to when I received it back from its first service with Kaz, which included a brake overhaul, new sticky tyres and wheel alignment (to Kaz’s specs). There were four areas in which the NSX totally trounced the S2000: the view from the driver’s position, the overall performance, the composure on the road, and of course the sound of that V6 right behind your head.

The forward view is almost shocking if you’ve never experienced it before. The road is right there in front of you. I found this so addictive that I could now never own a car with a long bonnet ever again.

The NSX was a lot more rapid than the S2000. I never had it measured accurately, but if the S2000 were 0-60 in around 6 seconds, I’d say the NSX was about the 5 second mark – maybe not so quick by today’s standards, but let’s face it, definitely quick enough for UK roads.

And this brings me on to my third point – composure on the road. It really felt planted on the road at the sorts of speeds I was confident to take it.

That view (with the front wheel arches telling you exactly where the car is), that performance and that composure on the road made the NSX a pretty fast car in practice. And the icing on the cake of course was the noise above 6k revs – such a sweet free-revving engine. Totally, totally addictive.

And the downsides? Well, even after four years, I never got used to the slowness of the NSX’s steering, especially compared to the S2000. And the size of the steering wheel itself – not quite classic-Mercedes size, but it always felt way too big to me. I just didn’t understand – why didn’t Honda switch to a faster ratio and smaller steering wheel when they introduced PAS in the later models? I have to admit I found the NSX’s steering really frustrating.

The second thing that bothered me was the gear shift. But when I say “bothered”, I only mean in comparison to the S2000 – the NSX is the 2nd best gear shift that I’ve ever experienced. Great though it certainly is, it doesn’t have the absolute precision of the S2000 gear shift. (I suppose this must have something to do with where the gearbox itself is located.) In the S2000, Honda got it absolutely bang on. The NSX simply can’t match it.

And the final downside was the look of the back-end of the car. I loved the front and side profiles, but always felt the rear-end looked so dated. Not a big deal by any means, but a consideration nevertheless.

And that’s it really.

I let the NSX go because it was important for me to have a weekend car that the whole family could enjoy together – rear seats (even if only small) were essential. I’m happy with my decision, made a little easier in the knowledge that I would always have felt frustrated with its steering, and a little embarrassed with its rear-end.

Mani.

Nick Graves
18-11-2015, 07:29 PM
Mani,

I have both, since they serve different purposes. One is pretty much as you describe, the other is like going out looking for a good scrap...

I quite like the twirly steering for the feel (which isn't bad in my S2K, because of the chassis braces which make a big difference) and the very-high speed stability. There's little twitch-factor in the S2k around Vmax.

I quite like the distinctive rear - so much cleaner than the psychotic messes most designers seem to employ today. I even regret the changes to the Evora 400, for that reason. Actually, if you'd like a 'new NSX' with a messier rear, sharper steering and even worse gearchange and turret view of the road - and have small children, that might be the solution!

manisandher
19-11-2015, 09:30 AM
Hi Nick,

I totally get the slow steering / large steering wheel for the early non-PAS cars - I'd love to have a go in one at some point. But my feeling wrt my facelift was that it was way more stable than the S2k, and could therefore more than cope with faster steering. I'm assuming a type-R does indeed have faster steering (it certainly has a smaller steering wheel).

... I even regret the changes to the Evora 400, for that reason. Actually, if you'd like a 'new NSX' with a messier rear, sharper steering and even worse gearchange and turret view of the road - and have small children, that might be the solution!

Ah, the 'new NSX'. It'll be interesting to see how it fares. I quite like the look of the Evora 400 - certainly messier than the S, but perhaps with more road presence? I'm sure both are fantastic. I personally went the 'safe' 911 route - perhaps too boring for most on these forums, but absolutely the perfect car for me right now. Hand on heart, there is absolutely nothing I would change about it - I totally, totally love it.

Mani.

marknsx
20-11-2015, 01:14 PM
Heresy, I hear people cry. The NSX shape imperfect!
In truth, the rear end isn't pretty. That shape has always struck me as odd.
The steering on my 1991 is heavy and slow. Its taking me time to adjust.The number of curbs that I have almost clipped as I corner at slow speeds is embarressing. A little less haste and more thought. I would like the chance to try the PAS version just to compare or the auto.
Im thinking that these imperfections form a part of the car's appeal. Its rather like having a girlfriend with a wonky eye. In the dark she's perfect.
PS I still hate the aerial!!

Pride
20-11-2015, 02:12 PM
It's great that we all have different opinions but I have to say I love my rear end, as does my wife:), the way the glass hatch flows down to a proper weekend away sized boot and those long flowing rear side panels, so nsxeeee in my eyes and as for the aerial, well it was the 90's after all so all is forgiven on that part.

I'm lucky enough to have driven nearly every year, model and variant of the NSX over the years I can honestly say now that I can't fault the steering or handling of my slightly modified 92 beauty on its original 15" & 16" wheels.

And after nearly 18 years of ownership I've still yet to find a car that excites me as much.:)

marknsx
20-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Perfecting Perfection: The Advance NSXJust caught my eye the article and photos in Speedhunters. Is the reason for my unease over the original look of the rear end, the wing? Photos suggest the installation of a high wing improves greatly the look.

Pride
20-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Perfecting Perfection: The Advance NSX

Just caught my eye the article and photos in Speedhunters. Is the reason for my unease over the original look of the rear end, the wing? Photos suggest the installation of a high wing improves greatly the look.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/02/perfecting-perfection-advance-honda-nsx/

I agree totally with the articles writer, Dino, about his thoughts on the new NSX.

The high wing also doubles up as a nice picnic table when not being utilised 99% of the time.
Great for lounging around at car shows & club meets though:)