PDA

View Full Version : Engine Removal Questions

Bob Holmes
12-03-2016, 07:35 AM
Having taken the engine out, when I offered it back into the car I could see there are no locating pins/slots so I could only line up the frame using the witness marks from where the frame had sat on the car previously, my questions are, 1/ is this the way to do it? 2/should I do four wheel alignment once finished?, 3/the workshop manual states ‘ torque the engine mounts in turn’ but I do not see in which order they should be done in!, thanks for reading this and your help if you can.

Kaz-kzukNA1
12-03-2016, 07:35 PM
Looks like you don’t have the latest Workshop manual.
Not sure of your year model but the sequence and torque are the same for all year models so just download it from NSX Prim Wiki section.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Service_manuals

The zip file version is not complete but very useful.
The Engine Removal/Installation section for the 91-94 models doesn’t show the sequence so use the one for the 95-96 models or just download the 1997-2005 Service Manual.zip.

With the way the eng/gbox mounted and the direction of the eng torque and reverse torque, the tightening sequence makes sense if you go through the workshop manual.

Honda designers placed very clever design/structure around this area so if you study how the eng/gbox assy is mounted into the sub-frame and how the sub-frame is bolted to the main frame, you will understand the following.
Strictly speaking, it may have small effect on the alignment but how good was your alignment before removing the eng/gbox???
If you follow the workshop manual accurately, you don’t need to carry out the alignment service for now.

Kaz

Bob Holmes
14-03-2016, 03:58 PM
Thanks Kaz,

I have a 2000 year car and purchased a proper workshop manual at the time (10 years ago) and it included the year 2000 modifications, I have now downloaded the 1997-2005 and as you say the new manual make clear what mine didn’t, thanks for showing me this Kaz.

I had done a four wheel alignment some time ago but as the sub-frame has some movement within it’s fixings I will check it just to be on the safe side.

I had to fumble my way through the download pages to find the correct pages for the torque sequence, would you or anyone know if the download manual can be used as book type form? Or did I open the file incorrectly?

Kind regards, Bob.

Kaz-kzukNA1
14-03-2016, 04:26 PM
If you downloaded the zip file from the link at the NSX Prime DIY Wiki, then extract it/un-zip it into a certain directory.

You should have 100s of pdf files in one directry.

Open any one of the pdf file and scroll up to the top.
Click on [Main Menu] tab.
Click on the blue highlighted page no. [5-1] for the [Engine Removal/Installation].
Click on the blue highlighted page no. [5-12] for the [Installation].

Basically, these pdf files are linked so you can use the same method on any pages.

Just click on the [Main Menu] at the top to return to the chapter selection and use [Table of Contents] for the sub category within the same chapter.
Any pages linked within each pages are also highlighted in blue so just clink on it if you want to jump to that page straightaway.
As mentioned, some of the pages are missing so even you click on some of the blue highlighted pages, it won't work but still, very useful if you need the English manual.

Kaz

Bob Holmes
15-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Thanks Kaz, as always, top man, kind regards, Bob.