PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help Required

Mark N
09-04-2016, 05:01 PM
I DON'T BELIEVE MY LUCK.

I have just started my car up with a view to giving it a wash before tomorrows meet. It ran for about 5 seconds then it started squealing like a banshee . I switched the engine off to take a look to see what the problem was . After restarting it did it again I traced the fault to AC compressor. If A/C off no squeal turn it on A/C compressor engages and it start squealing.

The compressor was only replaced last year and it has been fine since installed. My question can I still use car just leave A/C off with the clutch free running or is this likely to seize?
When the compressor went before, prior to replacement last year it seized solid whilst running and the belt ripped off and started smoking.I don't want this to happen again any thoughts or advice please.

Regards
Mark

marknsx
09-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Hells teeth! I hope you get that resolved pdq Mark.

havoc
09-04-2016, 07:11 PM
IF the a/c clutch is still working then you should be fine to run with the a/c switched to off on the control unit - I had a (very similar) compressor failure on my Civic last year and ran it for ~6 months / 5k miles without issue. I don't know for certain if the NSX system operates in the same way as my Civic, but I'd be surprised if they were that different...hopefully Kaz will be along soon to confirm.

Your issue last year sounds like catastrophic failure while in operation, which IS different.

Mark N
09-04-2016, 07:35 PM
IF the a/c clutch is still working then you should be fine to run with the a/c switched to off on the control unit - I had a (very similar) compressor failure on my Civic last year and ran it for ~6 months / 5k miles without issue. I don't know for certain if the NSX system operates in the same way as my Civic, but I'd be surprised if they were that different...hopefully Kaz will be along soon to confirm.

Your issue last year sounds like catastrophic failure while in operation, which IS different.

Yes it was a catastrophic failure I was moving pretty quick at the time I heard a large hiss like a waste gate on a turbo I pulled over then smoke started pouring out the engine compartment .At first I thought the engine was on fire so you can imagine how relieve I was when I found the compressor had seized and the belt was being pulled around pulley until that snapped and got caught up around compressor itself and it was that that was smoking.:eek:

This time you can see the clutch trying to engage and its at that point it squeals so it looks like this compressor has failed or seized again. The car seams to run fine as long as the A/C is switched off. I am just a bit concerned because I am going on the south east mini meet tomorrow and I do not want to get stuck whilst out or risk causing any damage .

Mark

Pride
09-04-2016, 07:46 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news Mark, I know you basically organised this mini meet but personally I just don't think it's worth the risk as more damage might occur to timing cover and or belt, but at the end of the day the choice is purely yours.:(

Kaz-kzukNA1
09-04-2016, 07:52 PM
Hi, Mark. Sorry to hearing the news but at least, it happened before leaving your place.

Sounds like your compressor has seized again.
Probably metal debris were left inside the system due to your previous compressor failure or too much oil left inside the new compressor.

If your replacement compressor came with new CL, then very likely to be fine as long as the pulley bearing and clearance have no issues.
To be on the safe side, I would recommend disconnecting the 1pin 250 connector located at the oil level gauge pipe or remove the CL relay under the bonnet or pull out the 10A fuse for the CL inside the engine bay.

If you re-used the CL or not sure of the state of the bearing/clearance, best to remove the A/C belt although this will require the removal of ACG belt first which is bit time consuming if you don’t have the right tool to properly torque the 14mm locking nut next to the side eng mount.

If your A/C belt looked to be damaged or old, just cut it.
Not that expensive and if you have already slipped it, may be part of the belt was already damaged.

Kaz

Mark N
09-04-2016, 08:39 PM
Hi Kaz

Sorry I am not sure what you are referring to with the term CL is that the Compressor Lead if so do I just disconnect that ? and cut the belt ? . I have a spare belt for a repair later. If I do this can I still use the car ? until I can get an A/C engineer to take a look at it.

Regards
Mark

I did fit the new compressor lead when I fitted the new compressor. By disconnecting this and removing the belt will that completely isolate the A/C compressor or do I still need to pull fuses.

Mark N
09-04-2016, 08:56 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news Mark, I know you basically organised this mini meet but personally I just don't think it's worth the risk as more damage might occur to timing cover and or belt, but at the end of the day the choice is purely yours.:(

Thanks pride . I am not out the meet yet, although turning up in the family Volvo would be a embarrassing :( even Geoff might arrive before me:rolleyes:

Kaz-kzukNA1
09-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Hi Kaz

Sorry I am not sure what you are referring to with the term CL is that the Compressor Lead if so do I just disconnect that ? and cut the belt ? . I have a spare belt for a repair later. If I do this can I still use the car ? until I can get an A/C engineer to take a look at it.

Regards
Mark

I did fit the new compressor lead when I fitted the new compressor. By disconnecting this and removing the belt will that completely isolate the A/C compressor or do I still need to pull fuses.
Hi, Mark.
CL stands for the CLutch. Widely used by the race team so it's just with my instinct.

If you remove or cut the A/C belt, no further action required.
Crank pulley is the one driving the A/C compressor so better to be safe preventing the reverse torque especially if you are likely to be using high rpm band.
I'm still working inside the garage dealing with all these coolant hoses.... If you still have my mobile no. (ending ...30), just give me a call if you need help.

Regards,
Kaz

Pride
09-04-2016, 09:11 PM
Thanks pride . I am not out the meet yet, although turning up in the family Volvo would be a embarrassing :( even Geoff might arrive before me:rolleyes:

See you tomorrow 👍

Mark N
09-04-2016, 09:25 PM
Back in the game :D Belt cut .The clutch pulley is rotating very freely so looks as if compressor has seized again and from what I can remember it was a right pain in the backside to get to. Who needs A/C anyway when you have windows and a Targa top:rolleyes: See you all tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice and help.

Regards
Mark