PDA

View Full Version : Help me avoid a diesel...

havoc
23-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Starting a new job next month, which will mean ~18k miles a year. Route will be a mix of D-carriageway, A-roads and town roads (crawling).

The obvious answer is "get a diesel", but I'm really not a fan, and yes, I know how effective modern diesels are, I just prefer the responsiveness, flexibility, sound and above all the revs of a petrol. Selling the FD2 will be a wrench as it is, so the thought of ending up in a 4-pot diesel saloon would be insult to injury...

So, assuming that the obvious alternative is a 330d (I could live with a 6-pot diesel if I had to), are there any petrols which are powerful enough but will still deliver an easy 35+mpg on the route above? Need 4 doors and a decent boot, otherwise Fiesta ST would have been on the list.

Only one on the list so far is the new Octavia vRS230, which I could just afford given the lease deals offered.

NSXGB
23-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Focus ST :)

marknsx
23-04-2016, 07:43 PM
honda legend.

Pride
23-04-2016, 09:05 PM
12614 :)Just thank me later.:)

WhyOne?
24-04-2016, 06:03 AM
I changed my company car recently, and I was really spoilt for choice..... ~300 diesels plus a few other cars deemed 'worthy'.

I went for a Golf GTE. Its a plug in hybrid (charges from a standard domestic 3 pin socket, so no silly charge station malarkey, and as we have solar panels, predominantly free to charge) and is decently quick in 'GTE' mode (electric gubbins combining with the 1.4 turbo petrol engine to deliver very linear power rather than planet saving efficiency), if somewhat heavy. Cabin is a nice place to be with more toys you can shake a stick at (my wife particularly likes the 'clear windscreen / warm up the interior' timer function) and, the clincher for any true petrolhead, it has illuminated doorstep garnishes!

V. tax efficient as well.

marknsx
24-04-2016, 08:45 AM
I have to grudgingly admit the Audi A7 fastback was great for work and impressed those around me. I just couldn't stand being so comfortable! But ideal for traffic

havoc
24-04-2016, 04:45 PM
ST - I'm mulling them over - fits the bill - not sure what economy I'd realistically get though.

GTe an interesting idea - did toy with a 330e but the lease deals are too £££ for me. Off to google now...

A7 - lovely cars I'm sure, but I have a pathological aversion to Audis...I may break that for something with "RS" but I really don't like the image...nor the complete lack of ride/handling finesse that the almost-compulsory S-Line spec displays.

Clive - please step away from Photoshop. Thanking you! ;)

Hagasan
24-04-2016, 04:51 PM
12614 :)Just thank me later.:)

Actually Clive, with your car hi-fi and (cough) LED expertise you might just be on to something with this?!?! Why not stretch your car into a Limo, stick your suit and cap on and get out there driving and flashing!! ;)

Pride
24-04-2016, 06:31 PM
Actually Clive, with your car hi-fi and (cough) LED expertise you might just be on to something with this?!?! Why not stretch your car into a Limo, stick your suit and cap on and get out there driving and flashing!! ;)

Please don't tempt me Martin as I've still got the suit and plenty of these things to wave around 😳😂👍

lotusolly
25-04-2016, 01:40 PM
I was always against buying a diesel and still would certainly not consider one for a sports car or a convertible but in balance, I don't tend to drive my work/family vehicle in the spirited manor I do the NSX.
For the more relaxed driving in town and when carrying passengers I must admit I do now prefer having the extra torque of a diesel.
In real world driving conditions (ie 30-50 mph in 3rd gear) a 2.0 diesel is probably going to give a similar performance to a V8 petrol.

Having said that I found myself seriously considering buying a Volvo last weekend which really messes with my petrol head tendencies!!!!

Olly

marknsx
25-04-2016, 02:53 PM
You need help. A volvo!
Buy a second hand Honda Accord Estate 2.2 litres of lovely diesel at 50 mpg. With all the goodies.

NSX 2000
25-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Starting a new job next month, which will mean ~18k miles a year. Route will be a mix of D-carriageway, A-roads and town roads (crawling).

The obvious answer is "get a diesel", but I'm really not a fan, and yes, I know how effective modern diesels are, I just prefer the responsiveness, flexibility, sound and above all the revs of a petrol. Selling the FD2 will be a wrench as it is, so the thought of ending up in a 4-pot diesel saloon would be insult to injury...

So, assuming that the obvious alternative is a 330d (I could live with a 6-pot diesel if I had to), are there any petrols which are powerful enough but will still deliver an easy 35+mpg on the route above? Need 4 doors and a decent boot, otherwise Fiesta ST would have been on the list.

Only one on the list so far is the new Octavia vRS230, which I could just afford given the lease deals offered.

Are you looking at new or secondhand? Will you trade in the FD2 or sell private?

gcon45
25-04-2016, 03:23 PM
As boring as diesels are the F10 5 series BMWs are a brilliant car.

I bought a 520d M-Sport new last year and it's the best runaround I've ever owned.
Such a nice place to be and the 8 speed auto box is a dream.

NSXGB
25-04-2016, 06:03 PM
LOL, must be getting old, I test drove a Volvo a month or two back, got offered a cracking deal but couldn't do it in the end....

havoc
25-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Paul - 2nd hand purchase (~£15k or so I guess - much more than that and the depreciation becomes a big deal at 18k miles a year) or new lease (hence the vRS230 being top of the shortlist - 2 year cost is <£1k a year more than a manual 330d Touring including fuel cost, and the Skoda has better spec).

Olly - I'm changing from an FD2 CTR, which is going to be tough enough as-is - a 150bhp 4-pot diesel would have me crying every time the road opened up! ;)

gcon - I've had a few people suggest the F10 to me - fits the bill in most regards, maybe I should drive one (Drove an E60 530d and thought it was nice but a little dull - neighbours up the road have an F10 535d, might take a stroll up to chat to them...). Budget would only stretch to a 525d though with sensible miles...but doing some research just now that might still fit the bill - twin-turbo / 218bhp.

Simon - growing old and growing up are two different things...I'm trying to resist both! :D

Thanks all for the suggestions - will go find a BMW dealer tomorrow, see what they'll let me out in...

nobby
25-04-2016, 07:07 PM
the 2.2 diesel lump from honda is decent and the accord is a really nice car
worth a look

NZNick
25-04-2016, 09:06 PM
searching the non-diesel accords on the Honda website brings up a few possible contenders

unclebob
26-04-2016, 06:03 AM
how much do you want for the fd2?

NSX 2000
26-04-2016, 08:58 AM
Staying with BMW but not as big as 5 Series, what about a 130i? Or if you want to stay Honda, buy a Jazz and stick a K20 under the bonnet :)

havoc
26-04-2016, 06:00 PM
LoL at some of the suggestions.

Accord - my Dad had one, nice inside but doesn't drive with much involvement. Type-S may be better but it's been suggested to me that's more of a trim/engine spec than any chassis differences. And I've already spoken to a couple of people with petrol Accords - no better economy than the FD2. I really wish Honda did something interesting nowadays, but CTR aside (which is a tart's handbag to look at), they've turned into Toyota.

Smaller cars - won't work - 1 child already, thoughts about a 2nd, so need practicality. Do like the idea of a manic Jazz though...

FD2 - will sell privately, needs a little work before I sell (unless the buyer's happy to take it on):-
- AST suspension needs a thorough service (knocks/clonks from unsealed dampers and from sticking at the top-mount interface - known issue which they never told anyone at original sale about regular lubrication), or replacing with OEM suspension / Koni yellows on the rear. Have a set of low-mile OE suspension already...
- Front-end needs a blow-over - bonnet and bumper are thoroughly stone-chipped with one parking scuff on a corner.
- Probably due another underseal - was done before I bought it, but that's 3 years ago now...
With that all done, I'd be aiming for £12.5k/13k from the car ideally. If I get the vRS that'd arrive in July so looking at an August sale, if I go for a BMW then maybe sooner. Think Andrew's got first dibs on it though Bob, unless he finds another first...

havoc
27-04-2016, 09:47 PM
OK, Skoda ordered - awaiting confirmation, but all being well should be with me in the Summer. FD2 will be for sale shortly after.

(...and if the economy is crap, Becs' Golf goes back in March, at which point I buy a diesel :shudder: )