PDA

View Full Version : Glare from binnacle - how to fix?

havoc
25-04-2016, 07:12 AM
I've tried a few different cleaning products on the leather dashboard, but I still get a lot of glare from the binnacle on sunny days.

Anyone got any bright ideas how to eliminate / reduce it? (Short of retrimming it in alcantara ;) )

marknsx
25-04-2016, 07:21 AM
It is irritating. I can only think a change of material

goldtop
25-04-2016, 09:09 AM
I'm waiting for these guys - http://www.surreynanosystems.com/vantablack - to get the material ready for the real world. That'd sort the problem for good.

(Wrap the car in it and speed cameras won't be able to measure your speed!)

NSXGB
25-04-2016, 11:17 AM

Simple.

marknsx
25-04-2016, 11:43 AM
Haha. Now thats something Pride would cook up

gcon45
25-04-2016, 11:43 AM
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w428/conoroneill/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsclja4wdf.jpeg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/conoroneill/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsclja4wdf.jpeg.html)

marknsx
25-04-2016, 11:49 AM
£2k per square inch is my guess. I hope its bullet proof.

marknsx
25-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Whats this?

gcon45
25-04-2016, 11:52 AM
Genuine Honda de-glaring tool.
For RHD 3.0 cars only.
£247.98 + VAT

NSXGB
25-04-2016, 11:53 AM
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w428/conoroneill/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsclja4wdf.jpeg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/conoroneill/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsclja4wdf.jpeg.html)

Whats this?

...I'd say 80 grit?

It's no steering rack...

gcon45
25-04-2016, 11:55 AM
...I'd say 80 grit?

It's no steering gearbox...

Haha! P120 actually :)

havoc
25-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Simon - does that mean you're selling it? I always thought the pink suited you...

Goldtop - I'm sure I've seen a couple of the footballers / drug dealers in Birmingham driving around in cars wrapped with that material already...

gcon - no, just NO! I'm crying inside just thinking about that.

I think I'm going to buy some adhesive-backed black felt, template it to the binnacle only (the rest of the dash isn't a problem, strangely), and then stick it down. I don't want to damage the original binnacle covering so a lightweight material with a light glue should be enough. I'm sure the insolation effect will dry the glue out fairly quickly, but if it lasts a year, costs peanuts, and doesn't damage the original material, then it's worth a try. And if it looks crap...I'll try something else...

(And worst-case, I have an excuse to get the dash retrimmed in alcantara! ;) )

NSXGB
25-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Simon - does that mean you're selling it? I always thought the pink suited you...

You are out of luck Pride bought the lot...

gcon45
25-04-2016, 12:16 PM
gcon - no, just NO! I'm crying inside just thinking about that.

Haha! I need to do something with mine too.
I remember picking it up and the previous owner had used Son of a gun on it and it was like a mirror.
I managed to get it off with a damp microfibre towel but the leather is still quite reflective.

Kaz-kzukNA1
25-04-2016, 12:50 PM
May be think the other way round?

Not just ordinary sunglass but wear polarised lenses sunglass with very little distortion.
In Japan, Talex is famous for its minimum distortion and lots of people into fishing are using it but for driving, the condition is much better than the outdoor activities so try some of the reasonably priced one but pay extra attention to the distortion.
It's not easy to check the distortion inside the shop as you need to change the environment/distance so ideally, you want to check it out outside of the shop.
You could get headache or even feel sick after hours of usage with too much distortion.

Kaz

marknsx
25-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Kaz
Ive taken your advice found a shop and tried the glasses outside. Im now writing this from a police cell. Forgot to pay for the glasses!!

hkz286
25-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Kaz
Ive taken your advice found a shop and tried the glasses outside. Im now writing this from a police cell. Forgot to pay for the glasses!!

police cells are evidently more accommodating with Wi-Fi access than I remember.

marknsx
25-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Indeed they are here in New Forest all the comforts of home

Pride
25-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Anyone got any bright ideas how to eliminate / reduce it? (Short of retrimming it in alcantara ;) )

Hi Martin.
Although I ended up taking the most expensive route of donor dash and then retrimmed in contrasting black/red alcantara with beautiful contrasting stitching but there was another idea I toyed with and at a fraction of the cost, that was flocking.

Flocking just the pinnacle area that's giving you the problem. 😎 I had a quote of just £50 for doing this. 😊
Remove the dash, then just get the pinnacle area flocked while you waited (approx 2-3hrs) and then refit said dash (1 day. Job done)

I was also considering claiming for a new screen at the time as I have a very small crack, which is still developing in one corner and is still there, but if I booked it in with the trim shop to have the the new screen fitted by a mobile screen company the flocker said he would mask off just the area I wanted flocking while the windscreen aperture was being prepped by the screen fitter.

The difference after the retrim was equivalent of night and day, one of the best mods I think I've made and the smell of the glue and alcantara (which I love) is still as strong as when I did it nearly 2 years ago.👍

NSXGB
25-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Hi Martin.
Although I ended up taking the most expensive route of donor dash and then retrimmed in contrasting black/red alcantara with beautiful contrasting stitching but there was another idea I toyed with and at a fraction of the cost, that was flocking.

Flocking just the pinnacle area that's giving you the problem.  I had a quote of just £50 for doing this. 
Remove the dash, then just get the pinnacle area flocked while you waited (approx 2-3hrs) and then refit said dash (1 day. Job done)

I was also considering claiming for a new screen at the time as I have a very small crack, which is still developing in one corner and is still there, but if I booked it in with the trim shop to have the the new screen fitted by a mobile screen company the flocker said he would mask off just the area I wanted flocking while the windscreen aperture was being prepped by the screen fitter.

The difference after the retrim was equivalent of night and day, one of the best mods I think I've made and the smell of the glue and alcantara (which I love) is still as strong as when I did it nearly 2 years ago.

Flocking your pinnacle sounds painful.....

I think Martin is after a reversible mod for his BINNACLE. I don't think flocking will be easy enough to remove. It didn't come off of the engine cover I stripped for a project that cleanly...

havoc
25-04-2016, 06:12 PM
Did consider flocking, but it's a nightmare to clean (unlike alcantara / similar), and as Simon says, it's irreversible...so if it looks crap, I'm stuck!

Kaz - thanks for the suggestion - I'm considering polarised lenses, but I wear prescription glasses for driving, so need to consider where to get good ones from and, as you say, potential distortion.

I do need to get my eyes checked soon, so maybe that'll be a good opportunity to check out polarised glass as an option.

mjames75
26-04-2016, 09:41 AM
Product called gtechniq matt dash will take shine off. Or clean with zaino leather cleaner first

NSXGB
01-05-2016, 06:42 AM
NSX glasses....
http://nsxcollection.com/en/accessories/nsx-style-sunglasses
For that sort of coin I'd hope they're polarised...