PDA

View Full Version : Air con not working properly

Dipstickpete
10-05-2016, 11:31 AM
I am a new member with a 91 car and am having problems with the air con. It seems to work when the engine first runs, but then blows warm after a while.

I have just had the gas checked and it had already been converted to R134A so he checked for pressure, which was fine and then sucked out the old gas and replaced it with 900gms of new R134A. He seemed to think it was cooling up to about 750gms but the pipes then went warm at about the time the main engine fan came on, but that could be a coincidence.

I ran the diagnostics test yesterday and it indicated faults on E (the evaporator temperature sensor) and F (the Air mix control motor). Regards F the air mix door is definitely not stuck.

Anybody experienced this and can offer suggestions?

I am off to classic Monaco tonight, so hope the weather doesn't get too hot now!

Pete

Pride
10-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Welcome aboard Pete.
Does the air coming through get warm when the air conditioning is turned off???
And if so does it stay warm when you turn off the auto climate control???

Dipstickpete
10-05-2016, 12:19 PM
Pride. Temperature doesn't seem to change whether on or off and no different on full auto or manual mode, so I suspect a sensor problem, as it is definitely working when the car starts from cold.

Pride
10-05-2016, 12:28 PM
In that case I'm about 90% certain the climate control module in the dash needs an overhaul due to leaking capacitors, it's quite a common fault on early cars and can cause all sorts of different symptoms, not just air temperature.

Our technical guru to confirm this would be Kaz who also offers a speedy turn around service for it although tomorrow would be asking just a little to much even for him. :)

Have a great trip with windows down.

Dipstickpete
10-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Thanks, I'll contact Kaz when I get back, but how do I do that, assuming he doesn't read this?

Pride
10-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Thanks, I'll contact Kaz when I get back, but how do I do that, assuming he doesn't read this?

You can personal message, him but to be honest he usually reads and replies to most postings when necessary, particularly technical issues which is good.

Kaz-kzukNA1
10-05-2016, 01:26 PM
Hi, Pete.
I’m afraid if your evaporator sensor is flagged as failed, the a/c compressor won’t engage.
There is fail safe algorithm in the CCU that if this sensor was detected as faulty, it will use -1degC as the evapo temperature.
If the evapo temperature is below 3 - 4degC, the CCU software will disable the a/c compressor and thus, no more a/c.

You can see whether your compressor is spinning or not (compressor CL engage/disengage) by monitoring the pressure plate while the engine is running.
In fact, you can check this without running the engine by watching the changes in the tiny clearance (0.5mm) at the pressure plate but if you are not familiar with this, it’s much easier to check while the engine is running.
If you can’t see the pressure plate spinning together with the pulley, your compressor is not engaged and thus, no a/c.

The evapo sensor is a thermistor so very unlikely to fail on its own unless it was knocked or connector disconnected.

If you had your CCU serviced or removed recently, please double check that both green connectors at the back are fully locked.
On some NSX, they were only partially locked resulted in intermittent connection.

Not sure how you checked the air mix motor and confirmed that the air mix door is not stuck.
You can’t see the spiral shaft movement from outside.
You can see the water valve movement under the bonnet though.

Kaz

Dipstickpete
18-08-2016, 01:02 PM
Finally starting to get somewhere, whilst removing all the internal fittings to strip out unwanted added 1990 hifi equipment. Passenger footwell underlay was sodden and I suspect evaporator is not draining even though drain is clear. Will take blower off tonight and give everything a good clean, as suspect it will be full of crud. Can I also remove the sponge from the side, as this is very wet, and is this where water leaks from? Where is the evaporator sensor if this is suspect?

Having reconnected all the sound system cables to original positions only the door speakers work weakly, how can I test the floor bass system? If it is knackered what can I use as a replacement and where do I get it? Not after super hifi, just a sensible original radio with blue tooth input, I'd generally rather listen to the engine note!

Can't believe how easy it is to remove everything, so much easier than a 1969 TR6! And it still drives with everything stripped out.

Pete

goldnsx
18-08-2016, 03:39 PM
water leaks
Check your door seals.

NSXGB
18-08-2016, 05:29 PM
If they have never been serviced, I would get all three amps serviced whether they are working or not at the moment. They will die....

Kaz-kzukNA1
19-08-2016, 11:32 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/RyelobDM5b7_cXE83u4O5hYPMZTm1spR7Gi84TM2KpucvYQbhK Vwa3GSLAy8v-_bFFxSYXAh7JXsyBWJP9LvbAtE0-Etn51yohAF2tkKYmWa9zfP1oVkYKWjUEye6PlxD_hod8ObdMn9 ZzzayQanX1or0jNQ2jM_h0WO_LOIhz0BTuccO7z39yH3PAhBJm hrUDT3Fq0jaYSD5AA-ly_mJDLCPAOtSsRsDTyF9bIiRRs3WbaweZ9amNPDgi0t6CFXkM LsHro4UPccqpPahFePcBlvIGJ82sXH7NoLJ8DGAs3Nl-KwHA4F6ppasxRY40WDyRzv7KYS27LVkQkIsck4t8ONkUljmYp_ FVxoaOlCzAa2izcsgglRS0p9ADhzAyrj7V4Gq1tSpT_apsEz6l MNxJ9qD8tnLCUU0Nq69j9n7zCuqW9iGZQmv4ctb4y7WF4HKWaT rNlUmb_TEmV86y11xPPf8p9JyXKgceQR5Fw8tRXbsqpXqVSyK2 dIgwXkYNzHPZ216maQdanhs11VDw65xzLznrS2TYcvCjP9Rbui yHXmvrGbenvOu5rC5F0lehwLS4LekjxtjBJT9JVV939z1ykOOO ufL0ma=w1080-h608-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Ywd-wwYTTU6MwvhbD9lrh-fgway0DZ4UX7-i2s0kb2Oax-xKNcQAbTH6Nx1C3Fd4Smt3L65uMkhWLY5455QrduQAQWbJGwQP 4jPk_TDQmIZLfi4rG7j7UIoJGoNEJ6DnT6ooqNmTTRUT7H-fXJeyLiwhe8o2kwhbDXR09Bv3JLGt31jPjY5VmLrIiig77sYx9 xX7Vp4XZn-Adm21NyZxFQoW_UgymJwfHCq7Ys7mmw5hg2WfyXV9oQIawsuCU DZGCeQd7o6JFlaGcaDoEKfcpmfVuPPKqZekCmQx3MC-9tFtrlp6rH6YUzswCzDpVVLbOtrFXikTsj_cA3sheMxbxgUplV-dvPd-J-Jh-MAra91prioLvt6rZyDdONnYsv1mVvPD3IGZXXZXNh6xRhkazgZ ZnglLrl6vA2LjipnhXrrLQjjjIQaxS4QLVX6TFyHX84PByq7AI 0sHWqCDtjcFrMtPlw2ET3lfNcKf0JqfwYG9W_5nk4StYeZzfjB PXplBDfm3_d8s8zl-RU1ViqhGoa3M9wXfIumJ2xHojw4rK8AkBOxcrasqZla7FUWHpk 1TvvEhpTnvQTbjcvzDkuShTV53ilvQ-hM2=w1080-h608-no

........ and give everything a good clean, as suspect it will be full of crud. Can I also remove the sponge from the side, as this is very wet, and is this where water leaks from? Where is the evaporator sensor if this is suspect? ........ Pete
The photo shows the heater unit when looked at from the left (passenger) side on the RHD model.

Regarding your evapo sensor, it's a thermistor and very rare to fail so probably just being disconnected.
The red connector holder is mounted on the controller rack behind the glove box so please check the connection.

If the floor is wet, please check the presence of the rubber grommet at the passenger floor panel.
The drain tube should be inserted there and without it, the moisture can enter the cabin from outside although from what you wrote,
the water seemed to be coming from the top and not from the outside world.

Regarding the sponge….

Not sure whether you are referring to the sponge like material at the back of the floor carpet or the square shaped soft foam/sponge located at the right side of the evapo sensor.
If it’s the square shaped foam in the above photo, it should not be wet and don't remove it.
It’s the heater core and can get very hot when the water valve is open.
If it’s wet, I hope it’s not the coolant…..

Give a good blast from the bottom of the drain tube, remove the blower motor fan case and clean the evapo fin.

Kaz