PDA

View Full Version : Skoda UK looking for NSX for video

havoc
24-05-2016, 08:58 PM
I've got a friend at Skoda UK, who's approached me regarding sourcing an NSX for a promo video they're looking to film. Details as below, copied-and-pasted.
If anyone is interested, please PM me or post up here and I'll put you in contact with Graeme. I'm not exactly sure what they're trying to achieve here, and it IS a manufacturer-produced video, so please do your own due-diligence before agreeing...
(That said, at least they're not after one for free like HUK and all of the magazines tend to...)

I've sought clarification about timetable for this, so will update when I have more info.

We’re looking for an NSX for a video we’re producing, preferably an early one, and I wondered if you might have some friends or even a contact that would be willing to help. Long and short of it, we want to film it in a drag race with one of our cars. Clearly the owner would be paid for his/her time and the use of the car and we’d probably be happy for them to drive the vehicle in the video if that makes them more comfortable. We won’t be attempting to actually do a proper 0-62mph drag in the car, just make it look like it’s happening. So there won’t be any stress to your car.

NSXGB
24-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Did he mention where it would be filmed?

Nick Graves
25-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Mlada Boleslav? Excuse for a run out...

I can guess the theme of the advert. Their image has improved a lot since the days of the Favorit.

havoc
25-05-2016, 08:56 PM
OK, little bit more background:-
- Clive (Pluckrose) has been asked to take part. Thanks to the other owners who offered their cars - if anything changes, Graeme or I will be in touch during the next week.
- It's a staged drag-race at Bruntingthorpe...involving a few peers of the NSX. And some Skoda or another...

I will post more up when I'm permitted to.

flyingsniffer
26-05-2016, 07:03 AM
We sometimes compare mid-range acceleration (say, 30-60mph in 4th gear) between a diesel and - for example - a Porsche Boxster. The result is often a surprise!

goldtop
26-05-2016, 08:30 AM
We sometimes compare mid-range acceleration (say, 30-60mph in 4th gear) between a diesel and - for example - a Porsche Boxster. The result is often a surprise!

Let me see if I understand this: you take a sports car and stick it in a high gear at low road speed, then, having decided that you now want to take as little time as possible to get to twice the speed. But you somehow forget that you're in a sports car with a revvy engine and you leave it in the same gear and do nothing other than squash the accelerator.

Now, loaded the dice, you are surprised that the sports car doesn't accelerate well compared to a low-down torquey engine?

:D

Reminds me of the outdated road tests when automatic cars with kickdown were faster at accelerating than the same car with a manual gearbox - just because no gear changing was allowed.

But I suppose, every VAGalike afflicted by the diesel scandal needs all the help it can get at the moment. ;)

flyingsniffer
26-05-2016, 09:28 AM
Let me see if I understand this: you take a sports car and stick it in a high gear at low road speed, then, having decided that you now want to take as little time as possible to get to twice the speed. But you somehow forget that you're in a sports car with a revvy engine and you leave it in the same gear and do nothing other than squash the accelerator.

Now, loaded the dice, you are surprised that the sports car doesn't accelerate well compared to a low-down torquey engine?

Exactly! That's why I run a marketing agency :)

You would be surprised how many people would bet on the Boxster - I reckon 95%.

So my guess is that Skoda will be doing something similar.

Who remembers the Audi advertising campaign in maybe the 80s or 90s, that if you put a modern car against a 1950s F1 car, the modern one would probably win the race? Same logic.

Nick Graves
26-05-2016, 04:17 PM
I remember a short-lived and very daft one where they slalomed a new Vectra against a Goliath GD750 truck. That's got 3 wheels, for the uninitiated.

I have a feeling it backfired spectacularly. and I don't mean the two-stroke.

ianhb
27-05-2016, 12:08 AM
Skoda must be launching the biturbo diesel Superb with 237bhp & 500Nm torque. 4x4 only.

havoc
27-05-2016, 10:50 PM
Not a diesel...and maybe a little more power!!! :D

ianhb
30-05-2016, 10:52 PM
You mean the Revo Technic Octavia VRS, combined with Revo's Stage 3 software tuning, the car now delivers a staggering 404bhp and 380lb ft, perhaps??

havoc
31-05-2016, 07:14 PM
No - standard car - will check, see when I can divulge more.

Pride
01-06-2016, 07:22 PM
No - standard car - will check, see when I can divulge more.

Indeed it was a standard estate car, in fact all 290bhp of it 😳 which is why Skoda UK marketing decided to assemble a collection of the finest eighties and nineties supercars in order to show how good their model compared over a 0-60 sprint challenge.

Sounds simple enough you would think but loads of footage was taken while circling the Bruntingthorpe proving ground test track in what was mainly atrocious weather, (I covered more than 50 miles in my car) before the final sprint challenge footage was to be shot but it certainly was great fun tussling with a gorgeous 308GTB, Esprit S3 and a mint 911 with only 30,000 on the clock most of the day.

The big downside to all that fun is that my clutch started slipping way before the sprint challenge, not too bad though considering it had covered 140,000 miles, so I knew I would be up against it once on the start line.

Anyway an internet targeted video advertising campaign is being produced over the next few weeks but as I've been sworn to secrecy on the result I'll leave you to ponder how I got on. But don't forget my car is RED😎
Just like to say a big thank you to Havoc for posting out the opportunity to do it in the first place, makes me feel even more guilty now for nudging you over on a bend in the karting a couple of weeks ago:)

havoc
01-06-2016, 08:04 PM
You're welcome Clive...and I think I may milk that Senna-esque karting incident for all it's worth for a while yet!!! :D

Clive...one last question...what was in the back of the Skoda?!?

Pride
01-06-2016, 08:58 PM
You're welcome Clive...and I think I may milk that Senna-esque karting incident for all it's worth for a while yet!!! :D

Clive...one last question...what was in the back of the Skoda?!?

Well, believe it or not they took my advice and installed a full interior LED lighting kit which highlighted the latest model range of Skoda's.
Very nice.😳😂😂

Pride
02-06-2016, 05:09 AM
Joking apart, it was actually a full size domestic refrigerator so as to show off its load capacity, no doubt it will all become apparent in the video.
Not much otherwise mentioned about it on the day we were there but for the following days filming I believe it was going to be used in the pub scenes some how.