PDA

View Full Version : Respray

marknsx
13-06-2016, 08:06 AM
Ive always wanted to ask what the considered opinion on changing the colour of your NSX is. So I buy a car for its condition with the intention of respraying it (proper professional job). Would you then as an NSX lover buy such a car?

Sudesh
13-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Yip! If the price is right with purchased car...

Kaz-kzukNA1
13-06-2016, 11:39 AM
I would say it depends on one’s taste.

For someone places absolute originality for the collection purpose, probably respraying the car especially in different colour may not be attractive.

In Japan, if you respray the car even in the same OEM paint code, it is no longer treated as 'accident free' even if it never involved in any accidents.
But if required, many owners are planning to keep their NSX forever so they just went ahead respraying the entire car in the same/different colour from the original one with eng bay blacked out like Type-R/NSX-R.

If you can’t decide on the colour, you can wrap part of the panel (just the bonnet, etc) for the evaluation purpose.
Our member Senninha used to have his NSX wrapped so you may be able to get extra info.

Not sure there is enough experiences yet but in several part of the world, liquid film/wrapping is getting its place.
In Japan, it started with applying dark smoke effect on the clear tail light lens and then it moved onto the entire body liquid film.
Requires lots of experiences but can be peeled off if required.

Kaz

marknsx
13-06-2016, 12:26 PM
I would consider the film wrap, especially the latest "self healing" wrap. I would personally use only OEM colours. If I don't like the colour (green and purple) I would respray in Formula Red. The question is will this affect re-sale in the same way as a Cat D does?

britlude
13-06-2016, 05:38 PM
i can't see how a cosmetic respray would have the same effect as a cat D.

one is changing the colour or getting rid of a few stonechips/ scratches/ flat paint finish, the other is a documented insurance write-off for being beyond economic repair....

if you have bought it in a condition that needs a respray, hopefully that would have been factored in to the cost. you are allowed to restore cars that are now up to 25 years old!

if you are so concerned about resale value i suggest you put it up on axle stands in a heated garage and just look at it :)

havoc
13-06-2016, 07:55 PM
For a concours-level car, a respray COULD affect resale.

For pretty much any other car, I agree with Jonathan and Sudesh - it doesn't matter as long as it's been done properly.

Ref. the latest wrap techniques, worth checking Dan Henderson's post on the NSX Facebook page (and on Prime?) - he's going for a House of Kolor product which looks very expensive but also absolutely stunning.

nobby
13-06-2016, 09:40 PM
If the car requires paintwork what choice do you have ... Either the booth or one of the many new processes such as wrapping etc.

i certainly would rather have a nice fresh Nsx to look at rather than something that looks tired and unloved

britlude
14-06-2016, 09:06 PM
this from the 'today at Plans' thread....

a fresh import type R, getting stripped and a full respray to make it perfect.... https://plans.smugmug.com/Type-R/i-jHRzV6p

don't see that having any detrimental effect on its value.... quite the opposite in fact! :)

Sudesh
14-06-2016, 10:26 PM
You guys treat NSX if it's gold! There are people that have £200.000 cars even £500.00 cars and change the colour to suit their taste. As long as job is done right, I don't see any issue. I'm looking to buy Zonda at moment, but can't find any in the color I want, so may purchase off color and respray. 2 wheels on that car are worth more than any NSX.

I'm still an NSX lover, wish at times I never sold mine.....

DaveM
15-06-2016, 07:27 AM
You guys treat NSX if it's gold! There are people that have £200.000 cars even £500.00 cars and change the colour to suit their taste. As long as job is done right, I don't see any issue. I'm looking to buy Zonda at moment, but can't find any in the color I want, so may purchase off color and respray. 2 wheels on that car are worth more than any NSX.

I'm still an NSX lover, wish at times I never sold mine.....

Well put, it's not just in NSX circles though, classic car owners that I'm dealing with regularly are becoming increasingly obsessed with potential resale values. It's not helped by many of the dealers who are pedaling the 'Investment' and the famous 'it will only go one way' When the reality today is it's all overheated BS. My negative but realistic 2c once again ; )

marknsx
15-06-2016, 08:25 AM
In my position investment is an important aspect to owning a rarer car. I consider myself fortunate that the NSX, which I can afford, is such fun to drive and reliable.
If I need to spend between 5K and 16K for part or total respray then I won't being doing so with any NA1 I can afford. I would spend that money on finding a Red one.
I was concerned that a respray would be considered suspicious and not the done thing (changing colour).
All I want to do is end up with a beautiful car in a colour I love. Green and purple don't do it for me.

Senninha
15-06-2016, 08:53 PM
Hello,

Given that very few NSX find themselves unloved and red is most readily available colour I would suspect at worst you may need cosmetic paint rather than full paint.

Colour wrapping has improved a lot since I did mine ... if for example you found a black one that ticked all boxes bar colour, wrap it in the red of your choosing enjoy and then when/if time to sell, you can unwrap, detail and sell an original car

Simples .... and here is mine with (white/black) and without wrap

regards Paul

marknsx
16-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Yes, I was considering a respray to change a "nasty" colour to red. But at those prices with my resources thats not going to happen. So the wrap is the best way to go/ Has anyone recent experience of using the latest product and who is recommended to crry this out?

Senninha
16-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Try these people ... http://www.colourmycar.net/

marknsx
16-06-2016, 10:47 AM
Thanks Senninha I have emailed them