PDA

View Full Version : TCS module differences

goldnsx
17-07-2016, 04:28 PM
Due to my tyre sizes my TCS of my 91 is acting up too many times. Don't want to change the tire sizes.

The early version of the module seems to be 39000-SL0-003. There was a -013 which both were superseeded by -023 for 1991-1994. A 1995 ends with -033.
Im looking for the more forgiving TCS unit which accepts the lower rate (5% instead of 7.5 %).

Can I install a 033 in a 1991 with no ill effects?

Thanks in advance!

Pride
17-07-2016, 04:30 PM
What tyre sizes are you using then???

goldnsx
17-07-2016, 04:40 PM
215/40/17 and 255/35/18 on a 1991. I had smaller 225/35/17 in the front before but switched to Goodyears (good tire but no 225/35). TCS was ok then. But now with 215/40 it's too early when driving a little bit faster.

Is there no way the TCS can be programmed/chiped?

Kaz-kzukNA1
18-07-2016, 08:43 AM
I'm afraid -033 is based on DBW and the TH motor is driven by the ECU.

The non-DBW models (91 – 94) have wired TH body with mechanical linkage to the stepping motor for TCS and the TCS motor is driven by the TCS controller.
Therefore, the hardware/software are quite different and thus, the number of connectors, pinout, sensor, etc are different that you can't even connect your existing wiring connectors to -033.

Speaking of TCS on non-DBW NSX, when it was activated, how did you feel?

I thought your NSX is super charged so kind of already out of spec for the TCS controlling the intake air flow/IG so quite interesting to hear that you kept it.
Would love to know how it feels when TCS is activated on FI engine especially when super charger is trying to push more air into the engine but restricted by the TCS motor.

I prefer NA and with my non-DBW 94 NSX, the behaviour of TCS control was like On and Off with sudden massive decrease as well as increase in engine power that it upsets the chassis behaviour.
I even felt it as dangerous so long-long time ago, I disabled it.

If your NSX is 91, you may want testing the behaviour of the chassis with TCS enabled/disabled at closed skid pad.
As my experience driving the super charged NSX is very limited, I can’t tell based on my experience but you may find it better disabling it.
It’s up to individual and should be tested before making decision but I felt much better feedback and even comfortable under several unexpected moments with TCS disabled over the years.
It was the same result when I used to test TCS at proving ground with non-DBW models.
I think the quick/direct response is one of the biggest advantage of non-DBW models compared to the software filtered DBW setting apart from NSX-R ECU.

Kaz

goldnsx
18-07-2016, 09:41 AM
Kaz, thanks for your valuable input.

Yes, my car is CTSC but the TCS is starting to act below boost but only when driving spiritedly. I'm in a turn (maybe 40mph) and start to accelerate for the next straight. TCS is holding me back then. During cruising it's quite. With a smaller front tire (225/35) it was better before.

The grip level of the rear is so high that I never had it acting up under full boost and upsetting the chassis. But I think about the idea of disabling it. The only reason I didn't so far was its positive effect on wet pavement. But me and my car are hydrophobic anyway.

As the 033 version is no option, are there any differences from 023 to 013 or 003? IF 023 was for 1994+ wheels (16/17) it should have the smaller relation.

If that is no option: I've read that disabling the TCS is just pulling two plugs from the unit, correct? No TCS light then?

Thanks in advance again.

Kaz-kzukNA1
20-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Hi, goldnsx.
The detail of 023 is not disclosed but since 003 and 013 were superseded to 023, I think it was more of fine tune, bug fix, etc.

TCS 023 was introduced in 94 in Japan with the release of NA1-120type.

In Japan, the standard wheel setup in 94 was the 15/16 fat five ones and the 16/17 wheels were only available as a factory fitted option and thus, it had to be selected at the time of placing the order for one's NSX.
That’s what I did when I placed the order so my JDM NA1-120type NSX came with TCS 023 in 16/17 wheel setup even for 94 model.
Obviously, 023 was the standard spec for the 15/16 setup for 91 - 94 models.

You can disable non-DBW TCS by disconnecting all connectors from the TCS controller.
I think there are 3 connectors. Please disconnect all of them.

Please note that you will always register ECU error code #36 but without the CEL.
This is because ECU is expecting the serial comm from the TCS unit but because you have disconnected the connectors from it, there will be no more comm.
For this failure mode, ECU will only trigger the CEL when 2 miscommunications were observed before power cycling the system.
Since there is no TCS controller connected, it can only miss 1 comm and thus, no CEL and just register the ECU code #36.

With the way Honda designed the warning circuit for the TCS light, you no longer see the [TCS] lamp even during the lamp/bulb check mode when you turn the IG key into P2.
And if you can't carry out the bulb check mode on TCS, you won't get any TCS warning light at all.

I think greenberet reported that he saw CEL after disabling the TCS on his NSX but later, I believe he mentioned that it was all fine.

Kaz

goldnsx
20-07-2016, 11:24 AM
In Europe 1991-1993 came with 15/16, 1994+ with 16/17 (or I could be completely wrong), obviously only the color combo was an option.

In Japan they must have modified the TCS for 16/17 as the ratio is smaller than with 15/16. I had them even with OEM Yoko tires and the TCS went mad on my 1991. The question is if you can see it in the part no. My guess is that yes. If you had ordered in with 15/16 back in 1994 your car would have a different TCS, maybe 003 or 013 I guess. After 023 there was no revision of the TCS unit for 1991-1994.

I could try an used 023. Not hard to get by but still $300.

goldnsx
08-04-2017, 04:16 PM
According to Kaz, I've disconnected 3 plugs from the TCS in my 91 and so far so good. No warning lamps. I'll take the module out for weight saving and to get more access to the CTSC stuff that is installed in that area. Thanks again!

EDIT: Out! :) -1.5 kg TCS unit and some screws.