PDA

View Full Version : NA2 project 2017

marknsx
26-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Imola orange 1999 in need investment.
do I strip down and go the Type R route or restore to former glory?
cat d car known by many in the club.
Any thoughts from those with experience?
no air con. Tired paintwork. A number of internal cosmetic issues. OEM except the wheels and a nasty Bluetooth device substitute for the original guts of the head unit.
Other issues no doubt exist. The engine and gear box function well.
where do I get the work done? Can I share it with the other club members.
money is tight as Brexit has meant the reduction in business. So slow ahead is the order of the day.
thoughts anyone?

Dragonlady
26-12-2016, 11:13 PM
NA2 facelift? With the 02 imola orange?

Senninha
27-12-2016, 02:07 AM
Hi Marknsx,

Own it, enjoy it, focus on business growth.

I suspect you've bought as a long term ownership, if correct, then there's no rush on choosing cosmetic direction be that stock, facelift or R variant.

If it were mine, I'd focus on mechanical overhaul and refresh of the items not usually serviced. Two examples on my NSX are the full brake overhaul, pedal feel and driving performance massively improved. The other was swapping out tired OEM shocks for Bilsteins, retained stock springs and the capabilities of the NSX simply jumped up several levels. There are plenty of other ideas that you can research by checking other build threads on the forum of of course the very informative blogs from Kaz.

Whichever way you choose to go, feel free to start your own refresh rebuild thread on the forum. It will provide you a record of progress, may well help others along the way, and would be a good place to post questions when you may need some help yourself.

Best regards, Paul

NSXGB
27-12-2016, 10:11 AM
I thought this one was properly sorted out 4-5 years ago?

marknsx
27-12-2016, 01:06 PM
No appears not

marknsx
27-12-2016, 03:45 PM
No the pop ups

marknsx
27-12-2016, 04:08 PM
You are right Paul. It's annoyance at not being able to push on. I want to get the car running for trips first. Can someone tell me what I need to look at to check that the abs is working. No lights come on at anytime!

NSXGB
27-12-2016, 04:53 PM
Not Ary's old car?

marknsx
27-12-2016, 06:56 PM
I believe so

NSXGB
27-12-2016, 07:16 PM
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?9917-99-NSX-re-commissioning-underway

marknsx
27-12-2016, 09:36 PM
I'm familiar with the rebuild. What I want to know is we're there any untackled issues or has the car been neglected subsequently.

NZNick
27-12-2016, 10:38 PM
What mileage has the car got on it now?

drmikey
27-12-2016, 10:43 PM
Everything is resolveable Im sure. Get it aligned and make sure everything lines up OK. Sure there is enough adjustment on there to compensate for any chassis issues.

Just get it working and enjoy the car yourself. You have a rare model there. You can enjoy owning and driving a car that probably cost you half what unmolested/unrepaired ones do, without too much concern about depreciation!

marknsx
27-12-2016, 11:50 PM
55000 miles

marknsx
27-12-2016, 11:51 PM
Yup that's the reason I bought the car.
Rarity and love of the NSX

Kaz-kzukNA1
29-12-2016, 01:56 PM
I would say, it depends on your final goal and whether you are committed to the long term ownership or not.

As you mentioned, your NSX is well known to the forum.
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?9917-99-NSX-re-commissioning-underway
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?13584-T506CSB-up-for-auction-but

First of all, it’s your NSX so I would say enjoy it and do whatever you want.
However, as you asked for the advice, followings are my personal view.

If you are thinking of selling within the next few years, you may want carrying out just the basic for the mechanical services but using Honda dealers such as Norton Way Honda in Letchworth for service warranty and the attractive wording of ‘service history by main Honda dealers’ in your sale Ad.
Then, focus on the exterior/interior cosmetic/appearance for the good first impression towards the potential buyers.

You will be balancing the cost of the above projects and the asking sale price so you are better off leaving the detailed mechanical services to the new owner.
At least, it seems that it had TB/WP serviced and crank pulley replaced.

Having no A/C could be a disadvantage especially if you are selling during spring – summer period.
Initially, I thought you were talking about the evaporator issue you mentioned in the other thread but that was with your previous NSX and not this one.
So, you need to clarify whether you are having CCU issue, lack of refrigerant or something else.

From time to time, used OEM European spec audio head unit becomes available on the market and you can get the RHD spec centre console from Japan.
Just make sure to select the correct surface finish for your year/country spec.
Christian at ATR (you can find him on NSXCB vendor section) may have used unit or RHD centre console.

Not sure what you meant about ‘no lights come on at anytime’ for the ABS.
Are you saying that you don't see the yellow ABS light even when you turn the IG key into P2 ON position before cranking the engine?

To attract wider variety of potential buyers, you are better off keeping the original look and not the Type-R conversion.
You can’t create Type-R/NSX-R out of standard coupe any way because some of the key components are already discontinued and some of the Type-R parts 'should not' be used with the standard model.

Even with the sophisticated modern alignment tool, it only shows the angle/distance of each wheel against the virtual centre line of the chassis and it’s only static measurement and not dynamic.
So, having alignment figures within the spec doesn’t mean you don’t have frame issue.
There is a way to check this but it’s time consuming and probably not cost effective.
In Japan, some owners went down this route to be 100% sure after purchasing the used NSX but the cost was huge..
If the worst comes, complete front frame was available until recently but Honda decided to recover all of the remaining stock in order to take detailed measurement for future production so at the moment, none in stock with unknown delivery schedule.

If you are thinking of keeping it for many years, then to start with, taking many photos of front/side/rear of the car, front compartment under the hood/bonnet, ABS area, radiator hose, several different angle of engine bay, coolant/header tank and cap area and ideally, the bottom view of the eng/gbox section would help. If you don't want to share them on here, just upload them on somewhere and share the link through PM or email to the members you want getting the advice.

Kaz

marknsx
30-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Hi Kaz
thanks as always for your feedback.
the idea is to enjoy the car. I never plan too far ahead. I want to get the car back to excellent mechanical condition with any recommended updates to maintain performance. Nothing flash.
The air con fans behind the bumper are missing so I'm assuming other related parts are too.
The abs lights on start up or during heavy braking on test don't display. I have seen an unplugged wire under the bonnet where I think the abs connections are.
I was planning on asking Honda to use their brand new alignment measuring machine at the body shop on the front end. £350.00! I was a little unclear from your advice as to whether spending that money is necessary.

AR
01-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Enjoy your car, focus on your enjoyment, not the little things.