PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing

Dragonlady
05-01-2017, 05:00 PM
Suspect I need a new rear wheel bearing soon, so phoned Honda for a price.
WTF!!!!! £324......just for the bearing. I said your having a laugh! He said it's not a Jazz. I said is it made of fairy dust, gold and diamonds!
Out of curiosity I priced an Audi R8 5.2 v10.......£90

Is Honda out of their f##king minds! I'm sick of their over inflated prices. No it's not a jazz, but it's not a Pagani f##king zonda R either.

Rant over,

Anybody know where to get a bearing from at a realistic price?

cheers Ian

britlude
05-01-2017, 05:20 PM
i did the rear wheel bearings at the back on mine ages ago , the same time i replaced the drive shafts......

got a pair from Dirk back in the day.....

i agree with you, Honda do know how to charge for such things!

the really curious thing i noticed as i bolted mine up was the faint 'Ford' logo stamped on the part......... faint, but definitely looked like 'Ford'!

anyway... try rockauto for a better price point... with a choice of suppliers! (guessed at 2002!)

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/acura,2002,nsx,3.2l+v6,1382891,brake/wheel+hub,wheel+bearing+&+hub+assembly,1636

NSXGB
05-01-2017, 05:21 PM
USA, Japan, AS Motorsport.

Pride
05-01-2017, 05:51 PM
I know exactly how you feel Ian 😡, welcome back again to the NSX Honda UK parts world, yet again.

I've just stumped up nearly £700!!!! for a CL release fork, spring and guide, not only do other manufacturers forks very rarely wear out and therefore never need replacing but if you needed an R8 clutch fork...........£86+vat!!!!!!🤑

Good luck with the bearing though, maybe you can research a pattern part at a fraction the cost. Maybe Kaz knows the size of it to find one.🤔

Kaz-kzukNA1
05-01-2017, 06:51 PM
You can replace just the bearing and re-use the holder but unless doing DIY, it may not be cost effective.
Also, you better ask the person carrying out the task on whether it is cheaper to simply replace both the bearing assy (bearing + holder) and the hub assy (hub + wheel stud bolt) rather than re-using the hub assy by removing the old bearing.

When you remove the old bearing from the hub (not the holder), the internal section (inner race) of the old bearing stays on the hub and pulling this off is quite time consuming if you don’t have the right tool.
Also, it’s no easy removing the inner race without leaving many markings on the hub side so I normally prefer replacing both the bearing assy and the hub assy at the same time.
You just need balancing the cost of new parts against all the required labour charge if re-using the hub assy.

Not sure how much you can save by using RockAuto but Timken is good and probably SKF is better although it may getting to the point where the price is similar to the OEM one from Japan through one of the NSXCB vendor.

I replaced my RL bearing and hub long time ago using OEM ones. Joy of living in UK with lots and lots of roundabouts.....

Kaz

Dragonlady
06-01-2017, 07:31 AM
Thank you people for your replies.
Thanks Kaz, probably will replace hub and bearing.

Ian

Dragonlady
07-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Put this off for too long now, need to get sorted before summer.
Have been looking around and found this...https://www.autodoc.co.uk/japanparts/2166350 anybody heard of these, seem a good price.

cheers Ian

Pride
07-04-2017, 02:02 PM
A geat saving Ian, noted and logged for when I need one.👍

Never heard of them but with a much longer warranty (2 years) than Honda uk parts I don't think you can go far wrong.

IMHO a quality motor vehicle bearing is just as good as another quality bearing, if it was an aircraft I would say don't do it.

PeterW
19-07-2017, 08:49 AM
I'm just about to buy a Centric C-TEK rear wheel bearing plus holder via Rockauto. I checked out the Centric website and comments online and it all looks OK. Rock auto list an economy one from Centric for £31 and a standard one for £88. The Centric website only lists one part and they all have the same part number. So unless somebody chimes in with some bad experience I'm going for the £31 part. As always there will be shipping etc from the US.

Here are Centric and their C-TEK brand http://www.centricparts.com/products/c-tek
And here Rockauto choices http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/acura,1995,nsx,3.0l+v6,1000887,brake+&+wheel+hub,wheel+bearing+&+hub+assembly,1636
Btw, for what it's worth, I read bad things about WJB.

Thanks
Peter

mwagner10702
24-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Did you try www.amayama.com? Looks like they have it (44200SL0008) @ £128.87

PeterW
24-07-2017, 07:21 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the amayama suggestion. I decided to go for the £31 C-Tek bearing from Rockauto. If I have any problems with it I'll update the thread.
Thanks
Peter

PeterW
18-08-2017, 07:08 PM
The C-Tek wheel bearing has now been installed on the rear near side. While that was apart I decided to replace, the near side drive shaft (Surtrack/Trakmotive) and drop links (Moog) both sides. All parts from RockAuto and they all went on OK. The work was done by VTEC Direct in Winsford Cheshire. They did a good job and clearly know their way round an NSX very well.
Although there was no noticeable play in it, the old wheel bearing really was knackered. The car is so much quieter now! Bliss!

Peter

goldnsx
13-08-2018, 09:17 AM
How long do the rear wheel bearings last on average if the car is not tracked? I'm in the higher miles now and had the car up on jackstands yesterday. The front wheels were quiet while turning but the rear one were noisier. Not excessivly and they don't make additional noises in turns. The diff might contribute also to the noise.

PeterW
13-08-2018, 09:58 PM
Hi Goldnsx,
That rear wheel bearing had done about 75k miles. I don’t know if my car has been tracked. Not by me anway. But it has gone round lots of British roundabouts, which is maybe why the left hand side one went first.
Peter

austrian type-r
15-08-2018, 04:04 PM
How long do the rear wheel bearings last on average if the car is not tracked? I'm in the higher miles now and had the car up on jackstands yesterday. The front wheels were quiet while turning but the rear one were noisier. Not excessivly and they don't make additional noises in turns. The diff might contribute also to the noise.

Depends very on rim offset too. My customer with his 615.000km NSX in Vienna still has his first wheel bearings installed, but he is babying his NSX around and don't drive fast. All the lifetime with stock rims.

4 other customers in the 200.000km range with the first bearings too.

My car with lots of track km and 106.000km with the first bearings too.