PDA

View Full Version : Best replacement for OEM Radio/Stereo

sparky
15-04-2017, 11:36 PM
It's been a while but ... Hello again from Adelaide, South Australia ....

The radio/stereo in my 1991 NSX has finally died. I've had the speakers repaired in the past (by BrianK on prime) and got a few more years, but now the head unit is dead.

I'm keen to update the lot to a modern headunit+speakers. The biggest hurdle seems to be finding a RHD centre console with a double-DIN opening. I think procar sell them in CF for RHD, and that would be beautiful object, but won't match my interior (and rather pricey). If all else fails I am prepared to cut a stock console, but I wonder about how to finish it so it doesn't look crap. (I saw a mention of 'jonathon's blog' somewhere, but could not find it?)

I see SoS sell doors speaker mounting plates at a reasonable price, so I'll probably get those

Also interested in any owners who have done this update and are happy - which system did you choose ?

many thanks

NSXGB
16-04-2017, 07:37 AM
Hi Sparky.
There are other options although you may have considered them already... Get the head unit repaired or http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/173020-Custom-built-OEM-style-NSX-replacement-stereo?highlight=Head+unit

britlude
16-04-2017, 06:44 PM
this was my original thread.....

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?6803-double-din-head-unit

and the updated build posts....

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?10150-Britludes-NSX-story&p=106628

Hagasan
16-04-2017, 08:49 PM
I think Brendan Johnson in Australia was recently selling a Double-din stereo and OEM modded console? He's on the NSXPrime Facebook page.

sparky
16-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Good stuff, thanks all

So Jonathon, I have a double DIN bracket from SoS (it's been waiting patiently in the shed ... for about 7 years!) but I see you devised/made your own mounting method (impressive work :). I would also like to retain the ashtray door and cigarette lighter assembly as-is, but maybe that's not possible with the SoS bracket. Anyway I'll go and read their instructions ...

I will check on Brendan's parts sale ... thanks Hagasan

PS: Question for NSXCB/admin: My post took a long time to appear. I'm guessing that's just because I hadn't posted for a few years, and you vet new threads before posting, to avoid scammers/spammers?

Kaz-kzukNA1
17-04-2017, 08:55 AM
PS: Question for NSXCB/admin: My post took a long time to appear. I'm guessing that's just because I hadn't posted for a few years, and you vet new threads before posting, to avoid scammers/spammers?
Hi, Sparky.

The Forum has automated filtering system for censorship on certain wording, link to external site, etc and your thread was held by this filter waiting for the approval of the admin.
This includes all the posts from other users replying to your original thread.
Also, each forum has its own user group permission assigned and some users can't post in there or moderated before the actual post shows up to the public.

Normally when this happens, one of the admin will look into it fairly quickly but as it is Easter holiday and several race events happening over the weekend around the world, took extra time.
I approved your thread the following day (UK time) after you posted it.

Not sure exactly what caused the system to hold your thread initially as I only noticed your thread after NSXGB posted the #2 post.
It is possible that one of the wording in your post or your signature font format [I, /I] may have triggered the filter.
Did you change your signature font after Nov/2008?
I only joined the Forum in 2008 and not admin at that time so I don't know whether someone had to approve your previous post in 2008 or not.
Or, it is possible that since you haven't posted for such long time, the filter was triggered.
As NSXGB is the admin, I don’t think the external link in his post would have triggered it.

Once the filter is triggered, the system remembers this specific thread so I just approved your latest post #5 as well.

Kaz

Pride
17-04-2017, 09:32 AM
It's been a while but ... Hello again from Adelaide, South Australia ....

The radio/stereo in my 1991 NSX has finally died. I've had the speakers repaired in the past (by BrianK on prime) and got a few more years, but now the head unit is dead.

I'm keen to update the lot to a modern headunit+speakers. The biggest hurdle seems to be finding a RHD centre console with a double-DIN opening. I think procar sell them in CF for RHD, and that would be beautiful object, but won't match my interior (and rather pricey). If all else fails I am prepared to cut a stock console, but I wonder about how to finish it so it doesn't look crap. (I saw a mention of 'jonathon's blog' somewhere, but could not find it?)

I see SoS sell doors speaker mounting plates at a reasonable price, so I'll probably get those

Also interested in any owners who have done this update and are happy - which system did you choose ?

many thanks

Hi sparky, if you can either get the original head unit repaired or replaced with a second hand unit (I sold a second hand OEM one just recently, they are available although rare) then just add a high quality amp via a line level interface, quality speakers along with a hard wired iPod Bluetooth interface (which I did 3 years later) and the sound quality will be amazing. As for changing the head unit for a double din makes it too far removed from its stock appearance and not in keeping with its early 90's appeal, although just my opinion of course.

Here is a magazine review of my car done 1999, I think it does a good job explaining what I did to it when I had my car audio business.

12952 12949 12950 12951

Good luck anyway on what ever route you choose to take. :)

NSXGB
17-04-2017, 07:53 PM
You will be able to keep the ashtray with the SOS bracket

sparky
17-04-2017, 10:01 PM
Kaz - no worries. Just after I posted I spotted the automated message about being vetted before appaering, but it was too late I couldn't edit my post to remove the query.

Pride - good info and great article.... kinda handy you had a car audio business!

cheers+

mwagner10702
18-04-2017, 02:22 AM
Here is what I used (LOL). Actually the six speaker stereo behind the driver's head is all the music I need. Good luck with your search.

m666 edd
25-04-2017, 01:35 PM
In all seriousness, wouldn't it be possible this day an age to fit a head unit behind the centre console with a blanking plate / blank centre console (as above) and control the head unit completely through a mobile phone for example? You don't really need to look at one and I suppose if you really wanted you could make some buttons somewhere.

Pride
25-04-2017, 01:55 PM
In all seriousness, wouldn't it be possible this day an age to fit a head unit behind the centre console with a blanking plate / blank centre console (as above) and control the head unit completely through a mobile phone for example? You don't really need to look at one and I suppose if you really wanted you could make some buttons somewhere.

Manufactors could easily do that on any car I'm sure but then that would do away with an entire after market industry.:(

Nick Graves
25-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Trouble is, most manufacturers' development cycles mean they're permanently a generation behind the times.

What you need these days is a compact amp and an MP3/4 player; nothing else matters.

The blue meanies would get upset about you fiddling with a phone, even though many aftermarket head units come with a remote control.

My betes noirs are these 'embedded' things, where you cannot rip them out and put in a phone-mirroring device or whatever you want of your own.

Just give me a double-DIN hole and with a loom connector sticking out of it...