PDA

View Full Version : OT: New TVR launched tomorrow

flyingsniffer
07-09-2017, 10:40 AM
It's been a bit quiet around here of late so I thought I'd put something potentially a little provocative up!

As you may have heard, tomorrow - at the Goodwood revival - TVR are pulling the drapes off their new model, designed by Gordon Murray and powered by a Ford Coyote engine breathed on by Cosworth with a Tremec 6 speed gearbox. It probably represents one of the final hurrahs of the manual, naturally aspirated motor (with side exit exhausts...mmm). With a target of 400hp/tonne and a weight of 1200kg, it should go like **** off a shovel.

Now of course some will scoff at another TVR re-birth, but I think this one might have legs: the team behind it are sensible business men and they did the right thing by contracting out the engineering.

I should declare an interest: I put a deposit down two years ago and I've already seen the car.

Now I know Honda would never have built a car like this, but my question is: could this be more of a spiritual successor to the NA1/2 than the NC1 is? I struggle to see the connection between Honda generations but the TVR (light weight, interesting engineering, aero etc) might be a bit closer?

exiges1
07-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Can't wait to see it, hopefully the suits haven't totally eradicated all the TVR 'madness' -always was the usp. I think their natural competitor is the current Lotus Exige rather than current NSX although how much of a GT it is you will know better than me, if so then the Evora, 911, f type etc, etc tough market. I also hope they are successful as like Lotus they have a loyal customer base. If they can connect to them they have a chance......what do you think the likely price will be £80k??

flyingsniffer
07-09-2017, 02:43 PM
The launch edition (full carbon and some extras) will be a smidge under £90k. A lot for a TVR (there are some great cars available at that price) but a possible bargain if it's a rip snorter.

They have pitched it right into the F Type R territory. My mate and I went down in his to the preview and there was a big sales pitch to get him to sign up!

I'm at Goodwood tomorrow, more to see the reaction than anything else!

Pride
07-09-2017, 04:10 PM
The launch edition (full carbon and some extras) will be a smidge under £90k. A lot for a TVR (there are some great cars available at that price) but a possible bargain if it's a rip snorter.

They have pitched it right into the F Type R territory. My mate and I went down in his to the preview and there was a big sales pitch to get him to sign up!

I'm at Goodwood tomorrow, more to see the reaction than anything else!

At that that sort of price point it will be a real winner I'm sure and for a 200mph+ back to "basics" sports car with a proper NA V8 engine and no doubt a no frills conventional short shift gearbox I to can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Here's the latest drip feed I've come across and the sheer basic design looks fantastic:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/tvr/blackpool-rocks-volume-2-tvr-to-return-in-2017/

13110 13111 13112

britlude
07-09-2017, 05:44 PM
omg... someone's posted something!!!! lol

goldnsx
07-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Yes and OT too. :)

I think that the car (not the TVR, LOL!) just drive as they should and so there's nothing to post here...

WhyOne?
08-09-2017, 06:44 AM
I've been watching the drip-drip of information released about this car by TVR for the last 18 months or so with great interest.

With Gordon Murray's involvement I fully expect the car to be stunning, and the juxtaposition of US V8 power and Gordon's iStream production process is fascinating.

NSX 2000
08-09-2017, 08:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPy92eteMgc

Live from Goodwood, but can't see flyingsniffer :)

WhyOne?
08-09-2017, 08:39 AM
TVR Griffith:
https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/event-coverage/goodwood-revival/2017/9/the-new-tvr-griffith--everything-you-need-to-know/

Nick Graves
08-09-2017, 10:40 AM
The Glorious Griffith!

I'm pleased it's back.

exiges1
08-09-2017, 11:29 AM
Rear 3/4 view - all TVR!!

havoc
08-09-2017, 08:31 PM
The headlights and the instrument cluster I need to see in the flesh (launch photos were terrible), but it's got the right proportions and the right spec.

As for your question Rob - I think it's a exactly what a 21st century TVR should be (maybe a little tamely styled...), which is far from a bad thing, but I don't think it's got any significant DNA with the NA1/2 beyond that any n/asp rwd 2-seater has...

If you do get one I'd love to see it...

flyingsniffer
09-09-2017, 10:08 AM
I got there around lunchtime yesterday and had a good look. I think it will polarise opinions: diehard TVR fans will call it boring, but to be frank, the team need to attract new people to the brand so there's a delicate balancing act to be done. Personally I never considered a TVR: way to shouty for my liking.

I agree with Havoc: the launch pics were awful: in the flesh it's much nicer (imho, obviously). The front lights are a bit 'meh', but they are nicer than the McLaren 720S. The instrument display is nice, the air vents awful (came from an old Ford Fiesta I think).

I had a good 10 min chat with the CEO yesterday. very approachable guy.

Pride
09-09-2017, 12:38 PM
I got there around lunchtime yesterday and had a good look. I think it will polarise opinions: diehard TVR fans will call it boring, but to be frank, the team need to attract new people to the brand so there's a delicate balancing act to be done. Personally I never considered a TVR: way to shouty for my liking.

I agree with Havoc: the launch pics were awful: in the flesh it's much nicer (imho, obviously). The front lights are a bit 'meh', but they are nicer than the McLaren 720S. The instrument display is nice, the air vents awful (came from an old Ford Fiesta I think).

Quite a fanfare for what should be quite a successful launch with any luck.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m7qJNNoRwNc

Nick Graves
10-09-2017, 09:40 AM

...says the man with an orange NSX!

I did consider a Tuscan S, but came to my senses and got a boring old Honda instead.

I believe the steering column is Fiesta, too.

But this one ought (hopefully) to be properly-engineered.

flyingsniffer
10-09-2017, 01:08 PM
...says the man with an orange NSX!

Oi! I resemble that comment!

Pride
10-09-2017, 09:16 PM
Here's the official TVR/Griffith launch insight video:

https://youtu.be/lk_-vnOoRMY