PDA

View Full Version : ABS light on

NSX 2000
01-02-2018, 04:11 PM
Need help / advice please.

For the last year or 2 the ABS light has been coming on, but after I use the car for a bit, and then turn the car off and then re start it will normally go off as normal. The thing is this time it hasn't (gone off).

So I asked the local Honda garage to look at it and they have diagnosed a faulty nearside (passenger) rear wheel sensor, and have quoted just over £400 to fit and replace.

Searching the forum the part looks like it will cost North of £100 for a new part (I think it's $152 from acura parts warehouse) and could take 2 to 3 hours to do, so the £400 does not seem that bad as it does include VAT.

So have i got the price right for the part, and does £400 seem a fair price.

Note, the car will fail it's MOT unless I can get this done.

goldnsx
01-02-2018, 06:02 PM
Being used to being confronted with a dealer who sees ££££ in his eyes whenever he sees an exclusive car I'd say £400 is about the amount you would expect to pay at the dealer. But it's up to the owner to judge if he's willing to pay that or to go an alternative route...

How much time left to MOT?

EDIT: I'd expect that you'll be faced with a waiting time of around 4 weeks when you order at the local dealer because there's near to none NSX part in stock (in Belgium). If you're in a hurry you'd better order them in Japan directly. It takes 2-3 weeks less.

Kaz-kzukNA1
02-02-2018, 10:24 AM
Hi, NSX 2000.

Don't know the ABS error code but assuming that the diagnosis was correct, then HUK price for the RL w/speed sensor is GBP340 inc. VAT.

If following the Honda textbook for the labour, it is defined as 0.6hr but I would like to see anyone who can replace this sensor in that short time as it includes the time for removing and fitting the wheel….

So, the quote you got is mainly for the parts.

Parts is much cheaper in Japan or US.
Even with the international delivery and UK Customs charge/Courier company fee, I would say should be about GBP130 - 150.

I don't know how much time you have before the MOT expires but may be you can get in touch with NSXCB vendor Adnan at A.S. Motorsport if the Honda garage is happy to install the parts supplied from the owner?

If all other options run out, I have one in stock but it's for another owner for the future service so I can't release it until I can confirm that it's in stock back in Japan.
On very rare occasion, one of the sensor (forgot which one) was on long back order in the past.
It's already Friday night in Japan so I won't get answer until some point next week….

Kaz

NSX 2000
02-02-2018, 05:18 PM
Hi, NSX 2000.

Don't know the ABS error code but assuming that the diagnosis was correct, then HUK price for the RL w/speed sensor is GBP340 inc. VAT.

If following the Honda textbook for the labour, it is defined as 0.6hr but I would like to see anyone who can replace this sensor in that short time as it includes the time for removing and fitting the wheel….

So, the quote you got is mainly for the parts.

Parts is much cheaper in Japan or US.
Even with the international delivery and UK Customs charge/Courier company fee, I would say should be about GBP130 - 150.

I don't know how much time you have before the MOT expires but may be you can get in touch with NSXCB vendor Adnan at A.S. Motorsport if the Honda garage is happy to install the parts supplied from the owner?

If all other options run out, I have one in stock but it's for another owner for the future service so I can't release it until I can confirm that it's in stock back in Japan.
On very rare occasion, one of the sensor (forgot which one) was on long back order in the past.
It's already Friday night in Japan so I won't get answer until some point next week….

Kaz

Thank you Kaz, I've spoken with the garage and the above prices you have quoted are correct. They are happy to hold on to my car for me to see if I can get the part myself, and then install the part.

I will send an email to Adnan to see if he has the part.

I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

Thanks, Paul
T