PDA

View Full Version : 2019 f1

NSX 2000
21-03-2019, 12:29 PM
No chat about this years F1 :(

I thought Redbull had a good showing, so looking good for Honda.

I just don't get the Redbull / Aston Martin / Honda link thing, especially as Aston Martin are now using Mercedes engines in their road cars.

britlude
21-03-2019, 02:49 PM
Nope, having to watch highlights after the result is published everywhere spoils it somewhat, and then to find channel 4s highlight program stifled by Sky's restrictions.....

AM want access to red bulls tech resources....

goldnsx
21-03-2019, 03:16 PM
AM?

Very happy to see Honda up there on the podium. It looks like all the expectations and the claims of Dr. Helmut Marko are correct. He said that they're willing to use 5 instead of 3 engines this season and are willing to accept a grid penalty if the engine gets significantly better. To follow Hamilton Verstappen was said to be in 'party mode'.

I'm really looking forward to the next race(s). It will be a very interesting season.

NSX 2000
21-03-2019, 04:24 PM
AM = Aston Martin

Senninha
21-03-2019, 07:52 PM
I just don't get the Redbull / Aston Martin / Honda link thing, especially as Aston Martin are now using Mercedes engines in their road cars.

Neither did I until someone mentioned the $$’s involved and the tech knowledge sharing for AM

Thought Lando had a steady opening race despite showing more promise in quality ...

Looks like Danny still cant shake off the mechanical gremlins ...

britlude
21-03-2019, 08:03 PM
And it's given Aston/red bull a route into the HyperCar arena with Adrian Newey designing the Valkyrie for the AM brand..... Means the red bull name can get onto a road car too rather than the X sports field....

WhyOne?
22-03-2019, 06:43 AM
And the (Cosworth) engine in the Valkyrie is quite a thing!

WRT the race, whilst it was good to see Max hanging on to Lewis's coat tails, the Mercedes was damaged (floor) and limping (and Lewis in one of his strops!)

Max is one of the few drivers I have watched who can really make a difference in a below par F1 car....others that come to mind are Senna, Schumacher (Michael!) and Fred.

NSX 2000
13-05-2019, 09:37 AM
Spain, What seemed an exciting race was in fact boring, but well done to Redbull with a 3rd and 6th. The Honda engine seems to be performing well.

goldnsx
13-05-2019, 10:03 AM
The most interesting part of the race was prevented to the spectators by two backbenchers/rowdies which caused a safety car phase. :) Verstappen was more than one second faster than Leclerc and only 3 seconds away from him. Would have loved to see the fight between the two.

Also they should be allowed to use DSR right after the safety car phase, not 3 laps later.

Merc is said to have a big adavantage in slow corners, not sure what to expect from Monaco, usually the highlight of every season.

WhyOne?
13-05-2019, 10:29 AM
The most interesting part of the race was prevented to the spectators by two backbenchers/rowdies which caused a safety car phase. :) Verstappen was more than one second faster than Leclerc and only 3 seconds away from him. Would have loved to see the fight between the two.

Also they should be allowed to use DSR right after the safety car phase, not 3 laps later.

Merc is said to have a big adavantage in slow corners, not sure what to expect from Monaco, usually the highlight of every season.

I think there would be serious safety issues with allowing DRS immediately after safety car release!

I always find Monaco interesting, but mainly due to the challenge this anachronism presents to the drivers rather than as somewhere which encourages and delivers a good race.

Highlights of the season for me are typically Spa, Suzuka and São Paulo, with a special mention for Sepang, hopefully to return to the calendar in a couple of years time.

I'd not be sorry to see either Barcelona or the headache inducing Paul Richard dropped.

goldnsx
13-05-2019, 12:02 PM
I think there would be serious safety issues with allowing DRS immediately after safety car release!
The safety might be their argument for not allowing DRS earlier. But I don't regard it as a serious issue. The pilots are said to be the best drivers out there and they know what to expect from their car in any condition (hot, cold tires). The overall safety is so extremly high nowadays they could take the risk for a little bit more action.

WhyOne?
13-05-2019, 01:17 PM
..... they could take the risk for a little bit more action.

In many ways I agree with you, but that's not the world we live in.

goldnsx
13-05-2019, 02:24 PM
In many ways I agree with you, but that's not the world we live in.
Unfortunately not. The 70ies and 80ies (when I was young) were a far better time to live in than nowadays in many aspects (economic potential, culture, music, sports etc.). Not sure what to expect after the giant monetary driven economic bubble we live in. i'm might be getting old and maybe outdated but enough OT. :)

WhyOne?
13-05-2019, 03:15 PM
Whilst I'm culling races and with the imminent arrival of Zandvoort back on the calendar for 2020 (a good thing IMHO so long as they haven't buggered about with it too much), Mexico and Sochi can go as well!

Senninha
15-05-2019, 09:02 PM
I agree with you Ian,

Have watched many a bike race hosted at Zandvoort, so will be keen to see how the F1’s tackle it, especially if they leave the gravel traps in place, they’ll have to stay on the track then!!

Pride
19-05-2019, 06:58 PM
Mean while Alonso still finding it tough to hit top form:

https://youtu.be/f_hjawiZH3A

WhyOne?
20-05-2019, 06:17 AM
Fernando and McLaren won't take part in next weekends race...something of an embarrassment all round.

Last year's car, whilst branded as a McLaren, was a turn-key entry run by Andretti Racing. This year McLaren chose to go it alone.

Just goes to show going round in circles isn't as easy as it may look.

britlude
20-05-2019, 08:12 AM
That's even after getting setup sheets, and bits, from Andretti and Penske overnight and resetting all the car, Alonso effectively driving a new car with no practice!

WhyOne?
20-05-2019, 08:21 AM
That's even after getting setup sheets, and bits, from Andretti and Penske overnight and resetting all the car, Alonso effectively driving a new car with no practice!

Gosh, I didn't know that.

For the first few practice laps yesterday (before the rain came) the car was running horribly low. Even after raising ride height, it was still bottoming.

I can't help but feel McLaren underestimated the task (and with de Ferran and Brown involved, they really should have) and were woefully under prepared.

goldnsx
21-05-2019, 06:49 AM
Rest in peace Niki Lauda.

WhyOne?
21-05-2019, 08:07 AM
Rest in peace Niki Lauda.

Absolutely.

A life lived well.

Niki kindly (!) flew me to Vienna back in the 90's....I was flying Lauda Air and was chuffed when Niki announced himself as captain for the flight.

WhyOne?
21-05-2019, 09:02 AM
Further information re. McLaren's Indy debacle....

"Among the myriad problems that afflicted them was the fallout from a decision early in the programme to build their own steering wheel. These house electronic read-outs and several controls for the car, and most Indycar teams buy them in from British company Cosworth.

When McLaren realised they had run out of time to do their own before starting testing, they ordered one from Cosworth, but when it arrived it did not have any gear-change paddles. When McLaren asked why, they were told they had not ordered them."

goldnsx
21-05-2019, 09:14 AM
Very embarrassing for McLaren.

And Red Bull is going on with Honda very well...McLaren is dancing on too many parties around the world.

Pride
21-05-2019, 05:38 PM
RIP Niki, God bless you. 🏎 🙏 🏎

The motorsport world will be much worse off without you.

A true courageous F1 champion.

Pride
21-05-2019, 08:01 PM
Niki Lauda:

https://youtu.be/jthj8iwXW6I

WhyOne?
17-11-2019, 08:06 PM
Tremendous performance and result for Honda today on Soichiro Honda's birthday.

NZNick
18-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Could have been 1-2-3 if Hamilton hadn't had a rush of blood...