PDA

View Full Version : Gauge Cluster Bulb Replacement

Heineken
17-07-2020, 09:44 PM
Just a quick guide on gauge cluster bulb replacement from a European point of view.
Getting the cluster out of the car is not that complicated and a corresponding picture thread available at NSX Prime (http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/90599-DIY-Gauge-Cluster-Tripmeter-Removal).

Once pulled from the vehicle and investigated there seem to be five types of bulbs used. Four of them are wedge-base bulbs which are classified in this way.

Diameter: 10 mm → T10
Thickness of the base: 2.1 mm → W2.1 ('W' is for wedge)
Width of the base: 9.5 mm → x9.5d ('d' is for dual - two wires)
Result: T10 W2.1 x 9.5d (wattage and voltage are to be added)

The ffith bulb type is used to indicate the selected gear in AT models. It's T4.2, no wedge base but two long wires instead.

Large

Green
Blue
Black
Gear

Honda Part Number
37237-SA5-003 (lamp only)
37102-SA5-003 (incl. holder)

37103-SL0-003 (incl. holder)
37102-S84-003 (incl. holder)
35505-SA5-003 (incl. holder)
78181-SF1-612 (incl. holder)

Diameter
10 mm
6.5 mm
5 mm
5 mm
4.2 mm

Wattage
3.4 W
3.0 W
2.0 W
1.4 W
1.0 W

Classification
T10 W2.1 x 9.5d
T6.5 W2 x 5d
T5 W2 x 4.6d
T5 W2 x 4.6d
T4.2

After roughly 100.000 km it's suggested to replace the illumination bulbs and potentially the gear indication bulb for 'D'. In my case the illumination bulbs were visibly darkened, the holder of the green ones (illumination, too) was darkened and started to become brittle. It's therefore advisable to replace the green ones with Honda ordered bulbs that include the lamp holder. The 'D' indicator was fine, though.

If you are planning on replacing all bulbs or servicing more than one cluster it might be interesting to get bulbs in larger quantities. The company BOSMA (https://www.bosma-shop.com/) is selling all of above bulbs, even the ones for the gear indicator.
Minimum order is 10 pieces. I ordered one package of each - out of curiosity. They do fit perfectly and are working fine.

Large
Green
Blue
Black
Gear

Voltage
12 V
12 V
12 V
12 V
12 V

Wattage
3,0 W
3,0 W
2,0 W
1,2 W
1,0 W

Classification
T10 W2.1 x 9.5d
W2 x 6.6d T6.5
T5 W2 x 4.6d
T5 W2 x 4.6d
T4.2

Order Number
5012363-BOSMA
501248-BOSMA-0002
501235-BOSMA-0002
50123512-BOSMA-0002
501273-0002

Even though this information looks simple and easy it was quite a task to identify each bulb. Some of the values in the repair manual are incorrect, some bulbs carry US-American numbers, are rated at 14 V instead of the European 12 V and the green holder bulbs are simply rare. Measuring of dimensions, sometimes even current through the bulb was necessary. Hopefully this write-up is helpful to someone having similar issues.

Silver Surfer
17-07-2020, 10:04 PM
Great Job Heineken!!

Should put this as a sticky for easy access.

SS

Heineken
17-07-2020, 10:19 PM
Thank you very much.

It would be good if we had something like a Wiki to collect such information.
Using a forum is it a little cumbersome and not really user-friendly (for both writers and readers).

NSXGB
21-07-2020, 06:21 AM
Forum is OK, much better than FB. You can always start your own blog on this site.

Thank you very much.

It would be good if we had something like a Wiki to collect such information.
Using a forum is it a little cumbersome and not really user-friendly (for both writers and readers).

Heineken
21-07-2020, 08:05 AM
Sorry for the misunderstanding. The limits of a forum were only related to using it as information storage, refinement and retrieval system.

Using a blog would be beneficial as it offers more options to organize information. Unfortunately it seems like I was either too blind to find the right button or I'm missing the necessary rights. Could that be checked from an administration side?

Kaz-kzukNA1
21-07-2020, 12:09 PM
Hi, Heineken.

Would like to share what I considered when I was asked to start the blog and also some of my old/recent view.

Platform
The latest vBulletin version seemed to be much more CMSey and while vBulletin 4 was used on many Forum, no longer the mainstream.
Personally, felt the blog feature on ver.4 was more like addon and not thought after well.

Got used to it but quite often want to use different layout and prefer much more flexibilities on the format, font, etc.
Very limited customisation so I actually considered hosting my own page on different platform.
Depending on your purpose and aim, some of the owners went down the path of own blog page, FB, Youtube, Instagram, etc.
All of them have Pros and Cons.
For now, I'll use this blog feature but always keeping the option in mind.

Depending on the purpose, another method is to create summary/heading page and make it sticky.

I created several and one example here; http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?8732-NSX-Technical-and-Service-Information-Index

Quite often, easier to guide owners to the right direction when they were covered under multiple categories/tags.

Backup method
Obviously, if the server goes down, you can't access it.
While the database seemed to be backed up at certain interval, not easily converted to another platform.
I normally write the contents over many days in Word and then copy & paste it here.
Please have some sort of backup or hosting method for the contents and photo, video, etc.

Category, tag
For some reason, one can't add/edit the tag once published.
I didn't find this out until later so quite annoying when trying to search for the specific post.
You are probably aware of this but the built-in 'Search' feature on both the Forum and the Blog is not great.
Far better googling using the search wording together with the 'site:nsxcb.co.uk'.

Therefore, recommend setting up multiple categories before starting and remember to add tag before publishing the actual post.

Lots more feedback but must stop now as lots to finish within today.
Not perfect and may feel frustrating from time to time but if it fulfils majority of your requirements, why not start it.

I was invited to the blog so didn't require anything from my side but will look into how the access is being setup later.

Kaz

Heineken
21-07-2020, 02:46 PM
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. There are many more items to consider than what I thought of initially.
Regarding usage of the blog, it's seems the system has created a blog for me (it's been there since I registered) and it can be accessed via the Settings menu:

It's even possible to configure it and add custom pages: http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?23959-Heineken
Unfortunately there seems to be no way to add blog entries, or I haven't found it yet.

Looking at the user manual for vBulletin v4.2.5 (https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/onepage/#item90) several permissions are required and control is quite fine-grained:

Can Post New Blog Entries - allow users to post new blog entries, the can view own blog permission is required as well.
Can Edit Own Blog Entries - allow users to edit their own blog entries.
Can Delete Own Blog Entries - allow entries to be soft deleted.
Can Remove Own Blog Entries - allow entries to be permanently removed from the database.
Can Upload Attachments - allow uploading of attachments to entries.
Can View Attachments - allow the viewing of attachments.

Enabling "Can Upload Attachments" would allow for uploading pictures, e.g. which looks like is not possible for me (tried it in the custom page editor).

Kaz-kzukNA1
22-07-2020, 11:20 AM
Hi, Heineken.
Yes indeed, you are already within the bloggers group so should be able to post something.

As I don't have access to several part of the setting of this Forum, just added temporary 'Title' and 'Description' in your blog setting.

After logged in, please click on the [ Blogs ] tab in the header section next to [ What's New ].

You should see the page 'Recent Blogs Posts'.
If you look towards the right, can you see a tab labelled as [ + Create New Post ] ?

If so, press it and just enter something to create a test blog entry.

Under the top banner/heading menu, there are several command tabs in smaller text.
Select the [ Blog Settings ] tab.
In there, you can change the temporary 'Title' and 'Description' that I created for you.

You can also change all the Permissions & Privacy setting from the Left had menu.
The only change I made from the default setting was to enable the 'Moderate comments before displaying' option.
Again, please set them up to suit your preference.

Regarding the attachment feature....
I stopped uploading attachments long time ago as the feature was not user friendly, lots of limitation on the format, layout, size, etc and didn't want occupying the server space with 1,000s of photos.
One of the reason why I don't like this platform as I can't layout the photos in the way I want to.

For the photo, instead of uploading, best if you can host it somewhere else and then paste the direct link to the file in your blog.
That's what I'm doing for all of my blog entries these days.

If any problems, let us know.
I'm back to multiple tasking mode over the last few months so slow to respond to many things but this week is not too bad so will re-visit here regularly.

Kaz

Heineken
22-07-2020, 06:42 PM
Thank you very much for the support so far.
Going to try out the features intensively and think about a good setup.

Heineken
22-07-2020, 07:57 PM
Found a little time this evening to play with the blog feature.
First try was to create a custom landing page, which worked to some extend.

It was possible to create a custom page: http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?cp=27

Many formatting options are working but there seems to be an issue regarding lists.
This is the page while editing. It contains a multi-level list, some code and a table:

When using the preview options it looks partly OK (the bullet type for the second level is incorrect):

Unfortunately, after saving, the lists are gone completely:

I checked the manual but could not find any option specifically related to lists.
Has this issue been observed before?

Heineken
24-07-2020, 07:08 PM
Just a little update from my side.
While writing the first blog entry, it looks like the list feature is working for blog entries, not for custom pages, though.

The fact that tags can't be changed after saving a blog (or draft) for the first time is confirmed.
I could imaging it has something to do with the tagging system in general: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/onepage/#item62 - maybe those options could be checked?

NSXGB
26-07-2020, 06:27 AM
?..unfortunately I do not have admin rights to assist you any further...

Heineken
26-07-2020, 08:11 AM
Oh, I'm a little surprised :D but thanks a lot for your support so far :)
May I ask who or how is administrating the site on server level? I run my own web server with different services and might be able to assist.

Procar Specials
27-07-2020, 03:53 AM
Hi Lars,

glad to see that you post so much informations.
You are back in good old G.?

NSXGB
28-07-2020, 02:40 PM
Oh, I'm a little surprised :D but thanks a lot for your support so far :)
May I ask who or how is administrating the site on server level? I run my own web server with different services and might be able to assist.

User Forumadmin (Kevin) manages the server and holds the ultimate power. You could drop him a PM. Unless Kaz or Paul has any idea, or higher access than me...

Heineken
28-07-2020, 05:28 PM
User Forumadmin (Kevin) manages the server and holds the ultimate power. You could drop him a PM. Unless Kaz or Paul has any idea, or higher access than me...

Thank's I'll think about that :)

Heineken
28-07-2020, 05:29 PM
Hi Lars,

glad to see that you post so much informations.
You are back in good old G.?

Since end of 2016, that is.