PDA

View Full Version : New owner...nearly.

Bonners
08-02-2021, 08:19 PM
Hi everyone,
I've paid the deposit on a 94 manual car and now just need to figure out how to collect her. Hopefully a fly down drive back option will be possible in a couple of weeks.

Toyed with NSX ownership once before, always liked them, but still never sat in let alone driven one. Much the same as my MR2’s from 20+ years ago right 😂

Recognise they don’t have big power numbers but hopefully the drive is rewarding in other ways. If not, she’s still gorgeous and timeless in my eyes so will clean and use for posing in/the school run. One child can take the bus.

Anyway, look forward to getting advice on how to get her properly sorted, not that I can do any spannering, and hopefully meet up with some local loons. Any members this far north?

Thanks,
B.

dobbiej
10-02-2021, 01:51 PM
Hi there,

Firstly big congratulations. You are right about timeless and they are / were streets ahead of their time. I drove mine from Surrey to Fort William and back not long after I bought it and it was a very capable long distance driver. Totally economic, comfortable and powerful enough. You will be red lining it just to listen to the engine!

I'm not a techie but I'm sure some of the others here will respond:)

Cheers, Jeff

nobby
10-02-2021, 02:04 PM
nice one and welcome on board

doing big miles is super easy in the car ... you can GT all day in the car if you wish without getting too fatigued

plenty of info on here with the favourite mods etc. some real good ones to kick off with

i too own an 94 car in manual guise ... did you get the 'purer' non eps rack?

mutley
10-02-2021, 02:09 PM
Hi everyone,
I've paid the deposit on a 94 manual car and now just need to figure out how to collect her. Hopefully a fly down drive back option will be possible in a couple of weeks.

Toyed with NSX ownership once before, always liked them, but still never sat in let alone driven one. Much the same as my MR2’s from 20+ years ago right ��

Recognise they don’t have big power numbers but hopefully the drive is rewarding in other ways. If not, she’s still gorgeous and timeless in my eyes so will clean and use for posing in/the school run. One child can take the bus.

Anyway, look forward to getting advice on how to get her properly sorted, not that I can do any spannering, and hopefully meet up with some local loons. Any members this far north?

Thanks,
B.

Welcome to the Forum, My NSX is at home in Edinburgh, but I hope to bring it up north in the summer. I could go via Aberdeen (if things are back to normal by then).

Cheers
Jim

Bonners
10-02-2021, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys,
Yes, went for the real man steering option ��. Up this way there are excellent roads pretty much everywhere so I don’t anticipate pooling around at low speeds much. My first love is actually motorbikes, and although only been back in Scotland for a year or so I know plenty good roads on both sides of the country.

Always keen to meet fellow petrolheads Jim so do let me know when heading up this way...once wee Jimmy crankie allows it of course.

A few mods suggestions would be quite welcome, let’s just hope she’s a solid car in the first place.
B.

NSXGB
11-02-2021, 12:11 PM
Welcome Bonners.

Bonners
12-02-2021, 06:10 PM
Thanks NSXGB

FYI seller advises the aircon isn’t working. Could be a gas issue but expect it could also be much worse, any obvious things to check for? I’m not overly concerned, I live in Scotland after all, but I do like things right.

Heineken
12-02-2021, 06:23 PM
The Climate Control Unit is also subject to capacitor leakage but that usually affects more than just the aircon.
You can quickly blip one of the Aircon filler valves to check if the pressure is completely gone. If there's a massive leak the corresponding area might show green UV dye (e.g. at the compressor).
All other checks would required electrical equipment or an aircon service gauge, I would say.

Thanks NSXGB

FYI seller advises the aircon isn’t working. Could be a gas issue but expect it could also be much worse, any obvious things to check for? I’m not overly concerned, I live in Scotland after all, but I do like things right.

Kaz-kzukNA1
13-02-2021, 01:14 PM
Hi, Bonners

Congrats for becoming the proud owner and welcome to the Forum.
Small community but lots of nice and helpful owners here.

For the A/C, if it's 94, I would be surprised if the previous owner(s) didn't act on the electronics components such as the CCU (Climate Control Unit), etc.

Lots of examples here; http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?1811&blogcategoryid=24

The most typical failure mode is that the fan speed control only works when it was set at max speed setting or the fan/vent doors operates but nothing on the display.

Many people uses the wording ' A/C ' in many ways.

Some just refer it as anything around the climate control.
So, it could be anything such as the blower fan not working, low refrigerant requiring the re-charge, CCU failure, blower fan relay burnt out, etc.

Others are more specific and refer it for the actual A/C system such as the compressor, compressor CL, evaporator, etc.

Once you got the car at your place and if the CCU display still works, good starting point is to try the CCU Function and Operation check.

The A/C compressor CL won't engage if the evaporator is below 3 - 4 degC.
Same if the refrigerant is way too low and couldn't engage the triple pressure switch so don't get confused.

The condenser fans should still work even for both cases above so at least, you should hear extra fan noise from each side of the front bumper.

There is also Self Diagnosis test procedure but it can lead to wrong diagnosis if the CCU already has a problem so just use it for checking the sensor connection, etc.

You can still learn a lot while waiting for the arrival of your NSX.
Although some of the info are outdated and no longer applicable, if you are interested in reading, these are goodnight readings (or probably keeps you awake)
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?8732-NSX-Technical-and-Service-Information-Index

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?9724-NSX-Technical-and-Service-Information-Index-02

Hope we can catch up at one of the event some point later this year.

Kaz

Bonners
13-02-2021, 04:33 PM
Thanks guys,
Helpful...and disconcerting at the same time. Owner tells me the fan speed adjustments work so will troubleshoot as Kaz’s links suggest once I get her home.

Bonners
17-02-2021, 10:04 PM
Did I read here that there was a recommended insurance broker/company connected with the forum? Can’t seem to see it now although having a few technical gremlins.

NZNick
18-02-2021, 03:17 AM
see here: https://www.nsxclub.co.uk/

Bonners
18-02-2021, 12:16 PM
Perfect thank you NZNick.

Bonners
18-02-2021, 07:39 PM
Well it didn’t turn out that well, they were +£100 more than about 20 well known mainstream insurance companies.

NSX100
02-03-2021, 12:14 PM
Well it didn’t turn out that well, they were +£100 more than about 20 well known mainstream insurance companies.

I've used Classic Line for years for my NSX - never had a problem but then I've never made a claim!

Let me know if you are passing through Banchory for a nice blast to Braemar.

mutley
02-03-2021, 02:53 PM
I've used Classic Line for years for my NSX - never had a problem but then I've never made a claim!

Let me know if you are passing through Banchory for a nice blast to Braemar.

Oh I could be up for that in the summer, nice to get 3 cars together

NSX100
04-03-2021, 03:02 PM
Oh I could be up for that in the summer, nice to get 3 cars together

In that case, meet in Ballater and take the 939 to Grantown or vice versa.

mutley
04-03-2021, 03:43 PM
In that case, meet in Ballater and take the 939 to Grantown or vice versa.

that all works for me

Bonners
05-03-2021, 06:42 PM
A local meet sounds great. Got the car last week so been out for a few spins and love it, including a wee blast to Banchory today as it happens. Some things to deal/fiddle with but nothing urgent I don’t think....although my horn stopped working today! Momo wheel with Honda horn so will look at it tomorrow as it was working, earthing issue suggested.

Also changed the bulb in passenger door, lights when open, except it doesn’t ☹️ and want to change the wipers but what a phfaff when you can’t raise them up properly. Need some plastic clips in the frunk, they hold the rubber seal to the plastic tray -where the wipers mount- as they’ve perished. Radio is rubbish, but playing my old tapes great, and the passenger window isn’t the quickest ��

Massive file of papers showing she’s been loved in the past, thanks if anyone on here, and fitted with adjustable speed yellow shocks...which of course I’ll never touch.

Look forward to meeting up soon guys and learning all about these special cars and what I should be spending my money on.

Anyone know/used Automek in East Kilbride? Was suggested, without experience, by someone I know but if the feedback not positive perhaps just best to send me a PM, thanks.

Kaz-kzukNA1
05-03-2021, 07:41 PM
Regarding the wiper, not sure you have the OEM or the aftermarket ones.

If replacing the blade including the wiper body, first wet the windshield to prevent any scratches in the next step.

Then, operate the wiper and while the arm is pointing upwards, switch off the IGSW.

With the arms staying somewhere in the middle of the windshield, you should have extra room for replacing the wipers.

If you want, you can remove the fixing nut to take the whole arm off the wiper motor linkage but first try the above method.

Kaz

Bonners
05-03-2021, 08:16 PM
Thanks Kaz, Bosch fitted so that’s what I bought again. I did consider activating the wiper but assumed the issue would be much the same as the driver side blade doesn’t touch the bonnet but rather just has very little articulation in the arm. Fixing bolt was my plan but was concerned something would fall out the bottom that I can’t see, like the nut, and I’d be screwed?

Will try as you suggested, cheers.

NSXGB
05-03-2021, 10:37 PM
Be careful with different brands as they could rub the underside of the bonnet. There isn't much clearance.

Bonners
05-03-2021, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

britlude
06-03-2021, 02:22 PM
the wiper size doesn't make any difference with regards the passenger arm hitting the bonnet, what does affect it, is the base of the arm not being properly seated before the nut is tightened... putting the hinge point of the arm too far from the screen, and too close to the bonnet....

Bonners
06-03-2021, 07:43 PM
Followed Kaz’s advice and as he suggested it was pretty simple in the end, just a little wiggling required.

Failed to fix the horn though which was annoying a I quite enjoyed giving it a wee friendly tap, much nicer than airbag wheel horns that generally only give the full blast.

Noticed the boot struts aren’t 100% every time, sometimes she wants to come back down, so will change them. Anyone suggest a good link/solution? Thank you.

Senninha
06-03-2021, 08:05 PM
Congrats and welcome to both the forum and NSX ownership ...

Even without the big numbers I’m sure you’re already finding out the NSX is a very competent cross country tool and very enjoyable ... it will take a very competent driver in anything else from any price/power bracket to leave you wanting more power ...

Health to enjoy ...

NSXGB
06-03-2021, 08:51 PM
Gas struts can be regassed by SGS Engineering.

Bonners
06-03-2021, 10:13 PM
Cool, thanks.

Bonners
06-03-2021, 10:21 PM
Indeed I am. This the lowest bhp car I’ve owned in a looong time, but she drives like a go-cart, very raw and just a joy to hustle. My wife’s Golf R certainly has more grunt, but the NSX just feels special...or maybe just old school...which is in itself special.

I have a couple of motorbikes, which have a lot of bhp, and it shows how less (power) can actually be more (fun). Although I’m not changing my bikes. ��