PDA

View Full Version : Climate Control Unit (CCU) - Capacitor Replacement and Repair

Heineken
28-01-2022, 05:02 PM
A seemingly normal Climate Control Unit (CCU) with a fan working only in the max and off position came in from Switzerland.
The issue was confirmed in my own NSX with the self test not showing any issues just the fan not working as it should.
This usually points towards capacitor issues (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?2633-Climate-Control-Unit-(CCU)-Capacitor-Replacement) but when opening the unit it became obvious that the capacitors had already been replaced ..

What was missed though was the mandatory acid removal.
Forgetting to do so will cause the destruction of the copper areas to continue underneath the PCB silk layer - until all acid is used up and the chemical process comes to a halt.

C44

C32

First step is removal of the capacitors, cleaning the affected areas with a fibreglass pen down to bare medal.
Then checking for broken traces or missing copper with two cases identified:

barely visible but measurable

rather obvious

Adding a thin coat of solder, new capacitors (all dry electrolyte types) and various repair wires later the board was back in working condition.
I'm still impressed how much damage and abuse the CCU board can take before failing completely.

bottom

After conformal coating and verifying operation in the vehicle I'm happy all is OK again and the CCU is ready to return home.
In retrospective I'm suspecting that the missing copper around C11 (the second picture above) is what caused the fan control to stop working as intended - maybe someone can confirm?

error free self test

nigel
29-01-2022, 12:49 AM
Just to say you’re doing a great service and full marks for your helping those in need !
All the best.

cheers
nigel

Heineken
29-01-2022, 07:42 PM
Thank you very much :)