PDA

View Full Version : Gas damper re-fill Options

Heineken
31-07-2022, 09:28 AM
Since the restrictions on Corona have lessened, I managed to drive the NSX more frequently and figured out that my engine glass damper isn't working sufficiently anymore.

There are some entries in the forum that state that they got recharged, which sounds like a sensible approach to me. Unfortunately, when searching for such services online I couldn't find a company in the EU that provided such a service. Since it might have simply used the wrong keywords I wanted to ask for advice how to identify such shops?

NSXGB
31-07-2022, 12:53 PM
Hi Heiniken, if you don't mind sending them to the UK, SGS Engineering is a company that many (Inc. me) have used with success.

Heineken
31-07-2022, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the tip, that's a good starting point or potential option :)

Kaz-kzukNA1
01-08-2022, 02:19 PM
Probably not too much of problem if transported within Europe but just a reminder.
Please check the restriction on the delivery method.
The gas damper/strat/spring is categorised as high pressure cylinder and could be prohibited or requires SDS to be attached.

Used SGS Engineering so many times and always happy with their support.
Should be able to find the engineering company offering similar service in Germany unless there is some sort of regulations preventing it.

Kaz

Heineken
03-08-2022, 06:59 PM
After writing to them, SGS would service the struts but can't send them back - that seems to be a dead end.
Contacts with several gas strut companies outside of the UK have all turned out negative, unfortunately. There are still some left to try, though.

NSXGB
03-08-2022, 07:03 PM
Is Christian at ATR worth a try for second or new?

Heineken
03-08-2022, 07:35 PM
If there's no other option, I would rather prefer to order new ones from Honda.

mutley
04-08-2022, 08:06 AM
I had a similar issue, but rather than going for re-gassing, I purchased aftermarket struts from Science of Speed.

Jim

duncan
04-08-2022, 04:36 PM
Any help as a DIY with generic struts?
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?16035-Glass-hatch-struts-on-a-budget&p=131537#post131537

Heineken
04-08-2022, 06:59 PM
That's another option, but a re-gas would be most simple, I guess :)

Heineken
22-10-2022, 06:31 PM
To close the topic appropriately, no company capable to re-gas the struts was found in the EU.
Since shipping them back and forth to the UK or USA was deemed unnecessarily expensive (they are considered dangerous cargo, which drives up the price additionally), new dampers were order from Japan. They arrived about a week ago and are working fine. BTW, it seems they are newly manufactured (hence the sticker "Made in China").