PDA

View Full Version : explanation of Vin number, unknown letter

rsevo6
24-08-2006, 07:35 PM
I do not understand why in my newly bought LHD '98 HONDA NSX, on the 10th position it says the letter W.
No other NSX that I know off here in Europe has a letter on 10th position, all others have a number 0 on 10th position, anybody know?

The Vin reads: JHMNA2170WT......
In all the Vin explanations that I can find (incl honda workshop manual) it should read 21700T......, no mention/explanation to be found of the letter W
??????????????????????

I do know that with a ACURA NSX VIN this letter W on 10th position means build 1998, however this is a HONDA

The car was when new sold in Switzerland.

simonprelude
25-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Could it have been originally destined for the US market then rebranded a Honda car as they had an order in Switzerland that needing fulfilling ??

rsevo6
25-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Could it have been originally destined for the US market then rebranded a Honda car as they had an order in Switzerland that needing fulfilling ??

Hmmm,
Hadn't thought of that, you might have something there.
On the other hand, my car is full Euro spec with the foglights and headlight washers, Euro frequency radio etc, so that speaks against this explanation.

markc
29-08-2006, 02:42 PM
The Swiss market is a bit of odd one in car terms and some of their requirements are differant to the rest of the EU. Mainly due to noise regulations.
I remember from my Porsche (993) days that the Swiss spec cars were more like US ones in specification. For example they always carried the taller US gearing unlike the "normal" European cars..
The Swiss have had lower exhaust noise regs for a long time although the rest of Europe is catching up now.
Although it been a standard format since 1981 not all countries use the entire 17 digit VIN format. Porsches destined for the US market had the more complete US style VIN's, but the Swiss market ones had ROW (Rest of World) ones.

Perhaps because the car was built for the US like Swiss market it carried a US style VIN???

Here's how to decode an NSX VIN.... http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/vin.htm

There's also a discussion on Prime covering a very similar question....
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3825&highlight=euro+vin

Cheers

Mark