PDA

View Full Version : OEM Tyre comparison...

darkblueturbo
11-09-2006, 01:13 PM
I was just wondering about the differences of the 3 OEM tyres available...

I know there's a Tyre Choice thread going on at the moment, but there's lots of talk about 'other' tyres such as Eagle F1's and PZero's (have used on Supra and Scooby respectively and love then both... PZero's are a personal favourite though).

However, with the NSX I'll want to stick with either the Yokohama A022, Bridgestone RE010 or Dunlop 8050 that were designed to 'work with' the car.

My car will have the Dunlop's on it (when the DVLA get the ar$e in gear with the reg change so I can pick her up...) which is great.
There's a good few thousand miles in them for me too but when the time comes to replace I'd be interested to know what people think of the other tyres...

So, to anyone who has used one, two or all of the OEM tyres what are your thought's and feelings on them. And can you offer any comparision between them regarding wear, road noise, feel and ultimate grip.

What is the difference with these tyres anyway from 'normal' performance rubber?

I understand this is highly subjective and will have a great deal to do with each individuals particular driving style... I'm just interested.
I've searched the this forum and Prime, as well as the web, but couldn't find any direct comparison or discussion on just the OEM rubber...

I look forward to your replies... Thanks.

Senninha
11-09-2006, 01:25 PM
When I collected my NSX it came with the AO22's up front but with SO3's on the rear. In the dry this hasn't created any real problems, tho not ideal, but in the wet has led to a couple of interesting moments as the two ends react differently!

I've now changed to OEM 17" and gone for the F1's. Whilst these are not OEM tyres, the levels of grip offered is way ahead of the previous set up (obviously) both wet and dry, plus the design of the tyre offers lower noise levels. Feed back from the front feels better than the Ao22's which still had good life in them.

I dont know how they will wear ( I have reset the geometry to factory alignment) but Matt, the quiet one, has run F1's and acheived very good mileages.

HTH

DamianW
11-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Had a few sets of A022s - I liked them, I still think they had the best feel and the best compromise in the dry. Bad aspects were high wear rate and they were pretty dreadful in the wet.

Now got Goodyear F1s and they're pretty good but very soft and I'm pretty sure the rears are overheating.

Senninha
11-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Now got Goodyear F1s and they're pretty good but very soft and I'm pretty sure the rears are overheating.

What sign of overheating are getting and when is this occurring? I dont do any track driving, only mixed/fast road use. Interested to know as I've just had these fitted.

DamianW
11-09-2006, 02:22 PM
What sign of overheating are getting and when is this occurring? I dont do any track driving, only mixed/fast road use. Interested to know as I've just had these fitted.

Starting to wonder if I've got the wrong speed rating/wrong compound variant or something. Basically its if I do *cough* speed on a motorway, when I get out you can usually smell rubber. The tyres don't appear to be wearing badly, but the rubber does get a bit of a patina to it, looks like its getting hot. Tried varying pressures. I bet its the wrong rating - probably why they were cheap at the time.

OLDMNSX
16-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Just my "two bits" on this subject.

I recently installed a new set of Bridgestone RE 010s on my '91 with later model 16/17 inch 7 spoke wheels. I run the factory settings for air pressure. The 010s are directional and asymetric, i.e. there are 4 specific part numbers for the tires. These tires were specifically designed for the car. How can you go wrong? My set cost me $900 USD out the door, pretty good I thought.

Be sure that the factory air pressure settings are set prior to alignment. It will make a difference to the adjustments/readings.

I have only put about a 1000 miles on them, but have found them to be very quiet and a nice ride. I have had previous experience with Toyo Proxes and found them to be very noisy.

The setup that I am running on my rear end is very flat, very little negative camber, and not to factory setup. The factory setup will prematurely wear out the inside edge of the tires, at least for the '91s anyway. The old rear tires were completely worn out and were very even across the face. In fact they were so worn out that you had to look at them just right in the light to even see any thread, but there were no cords showing. This would be a maximum tread wear setup, not necessarily the best for performance handling. You pick what would best suit your needs.

Brad

ctrlaltdelboy
16-09-2006, 09:37 AM
here's a front Goodyear Eagle F1 on mine after some hard driving in the dry

http://darrenferneyhough.com/images/meets/HR240905/1000/brunt-sept05_015.jpg