PDA

View Full Version : New (non OEM) Tyres effecting my handling

Steveycaz
17-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Just replaced my rear tyres of the '91 that I only bought on Friday!:( I have put Avon ZZ3's on (which are performance tyres with the right speed rating etc) and the car's handling is now markedly different, mainly at 60mph and above. NSXPrime forum's seem to suggest alignment which need's checking if you change tyre make. Anyone got any views?

Ciaran
17-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Hi Stevecaz, You will probably get more replies on Monday, and no doubt more knowledge, but from your brief details it sounds like you only replaced the rears, and if your fronts are a different tyre, then you are pretty much guaranteed to get "funny" handling.

Someone had a lengthy tread on this subject before, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was titled, perhaps someone else will remember.

Senninha
18-09-2006, 07:48 PM
'91 that I only bought on Friday!

Congratulations and welcome!

The different handling you describe is almost certainly the difference in how the fr & rr tyres are designed to work. Compound, tread design and sidewall performance can have a dramatic effect on handling.

I've just changed tyres on my 98 to Goodyear F1's (on OEM 02+ 17") and noticed a positive difference straight away, the car feels less nervous than running mixed rubber.

It may not be the answer you're looking for, but if the fronts are low, I'd think about matching them to your new rears as soon as funds allow.

Ciaran is right, there was along thread about this but I think its archived following the recent changes to the forum. Maybe a moderator can recall it for you?

Enjoy your NSX

regards

modarr
18-09-2006, 08:01 PM
May sound daft, but have you checked the pressures. Garages usually over inflate tyres with occasionally inaccurate equipment. Tyres pressures are fairly critical on the NSX.

I've been running very mixed tyres and the car feels totally predicatable?

Steveycaz
22-09-2006, 08:01 AM
May sound daft, but have you checked the pressures. Garages usually over inflate tyres with occasionally inaccurate equipment. Tyres pressures are fairly critical on the NSX.

I've been running very mixed tyres and the car feels totally predicatable?

Thanks for the advice guys! Book says rears should be 40psi. when the tyres were first fitted this was almost unbearable. I have been running them at 36psi for about 150 miles and the 'skittish' behaviour at the rear is all but gone, but still noticeable above 80 (ahem!). Been doing some research and having to run new tyres in seems the norm, but I wonder whether I should be bringing the tyres back up to 40psi. Does everyone else run them this high?

Here's a piccy of the new member btw!

rkanaga
22-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Steve, did you buy the one in Cornwall by the way? It sounded peachy. Anyhow good to know you are sorted and we are not both chasing 3.0 manuals at the same time. I hope to join you 'in the club' soon!

Robin (Guildford)

simonprelude
22-09-2006, 08:44 AM
I am running ZZ3's on my Prelude and would consider the tyre to be too hard for the NSX.

It seems to need slightly softer rubber for the grip, which would account for the problems you have been seeing.

I would be concerned about running the tyres at 36 psi, you could get some very weird attributes.

Car looks very clean by the way.

Steveycaz
22-09-2006, 10:53 AM
I am running ZZ3's on my Prelude and would consider the tyre to be too hard for the NSX.

It seems to need slightly softer rubber for the grip, which would account for the problems you have been seeing.

I would be concerned about running the tyres at 36 psi, you could get some very weird attributes.

Car looks very clean by the way.

Thanks Simon - I'm surprised the ZZ3's are considered hard - I would have thought they are much softer than the A022h, the walls certainly feel much softer.

When you say that 36psi will give weird atributes - are you suggesting that I shuld put them back up to the full 40?

Steveycaz
22-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Steve, did you buy the one in Cornwall by the way? It sounded peachy. Anyhow good to know you are sorted and we are not both chasing 3.0 manuals at the same time. I hope to join you 'in the club' soon!

Robin (Guildford)

Hi Robin. Yes I bought the cornish one! The guy had several visitors from London scheduled to see it on the Saturday, which by recent sales would likely have pushed the price up, so I went out on the Friday and closed the deal that day. The drive back from Newquay to Andover was real fun - I didn't realise how good a tourer the NSX is - really comfortable.

Senninha
22-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Steve,

I would definately put the pressures back, especially as you believe the walls are soft, and the give it another high speed run ;)

regards

Steveycaz
22-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks - I'll let you know the outcome!

simonprelude
22-09-2006, 04:33 PM
The tyre walls seem quite soft (hence the need for 40psi) but the actual tread seems very hard.

I managed 20,000 miles so far on the Prelude and that has 17's on it running at 32 psi (recommended) and they are no where near ready for changing.

Nick Graves
23-09-2006, 07:06 PM
This seems to be a very common theme;

All Honda OEM tyres seem to be specified with very stiff sidewalls, for sharp turn in & for the RWS to be effective.

Other makes seem soggy by comparison. I run the Toyo Proxes T1-Rs on the 'Lude at 39psi FF & 36 RR (the >100mph pressures!) as it seems to stiffen response.

Also, for the first 10 miles or so, it was all over the place, until the tyres settled down.

Others on S2Ki have reported similar occurrences on their S2000s. Since the S has quite similar wheel offset & suspension geometry to the NSX, it's perhaps unsurprising you should experience similar.