PDA

View Full Version : Cracked wheel rim

Baz
13-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Here's an unusual one. I have just been cleaning my red '03 baby after a blast down to Wales and back on business and noticed a long crack in the outer edge of the rim of the nearside rear wheel. Anyone ever come across this problem before? I have an extended warranty but not sure if it will cover a wheel although, in my book, it is definitely a manufacturing fault as there is no sign of kerbing at all.

Baz

AR
13-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Only thing I can think of is repeated hard braking and cooling causing them to crack.

Cheers

AR

blue5
13-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Baz,

Bad luck with the rim and good luck that you have a warrenty!

It is almost impossible to damage a wheel as you describe by normal driving, even heavy track use would be unlikely to cause a crack as you describe. With the car being so new and as you say no sign of kerbing it really sounds like a possible manufacturing fault.

Take it to a dealer quickly or drive it slowly to your dealer asap!

Let us know what the outcome is,

I suppose its not a crack in the powder coating?

Can you post a picture?

Good luck.

Senninha
13-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Baz,

Good job you spotted it when you have. As Blue5 says, as there's no sign of actual damage, and it isn't just the paint/lacquer that is cracked, I'd get it to the dealer ASAP. I'm guessing Norton Way is your local and would hope they will resolve without issue.

HTH

Lankstarr
13-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Late spec ('03) wheels don't have a powder coating do they?

Baz
14-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Hi All,

I have spoken to Norton Way but they have informed me wheels are not covered by my extended warranty! However, they are going to forward a pic to Honda to see if they are prepared to stump up a new wheel. I did try to add a photo to my post but I got stuck after uploading one from my computer. If someone would be kind enough to let me know how it should be done I'll add the pic which shows the crack well.

Cheers,
Baz

Baz
14-10-2006, 08:04 AM
I think I've cracked it (excuse the pun!) - so here is a pic of my wheel.

Baz

Nick Graves
14-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Now that's odd.

It's not a way a wheel would normally crack.

Especially with lightweight, Forged wheels and the yUK's now third-world roads, it's an increasingly common phenomenon. But it's usually across the wheel well.

If you bought used, I'd suggest that the wheel may have been kerbed before & has been re-furbished.

It's just possible it's been dropped on the rim, perhaps during a tyre change.

If we can eliminate those, than it's most likely a bad casting. Inspection of the metallurgy would be conclusive.

AR
16-10-2006, 02:32 PM
I'd suggest that the wheel may have been kerbed before & has been re-furbished.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Cheers,

AR

Lankstarr
16-10-2006, 05:24 PM
If a refurb job has caused this and Honda aren't willing to sort up any readies to fix it then if you pick and pull away at it and a chunk just pops out you can rest assured that it was just filler and you can get another refurb.

If the crack gets bigger and bigger just go and buy the type R wheels;) unless my memory serves me correctly to say that someone started to collect these and may have a single one spare.

Hopefully just a refurb though.

L*

Baz
11-11-2006, 10:02 AM
I had to wait a while but the result is positive I'm very pleased to say. Had a message from Bryan at Norton Way on Friday to say that Honda has agreed to supply me with a new rear wheel, despite the car being out of warranty and the extended warranty not covering this item.

Many thanks to Richard for offering to loan (or sell) me one of his spare wheels.

Cheers everybody - hope to be able to meet some of you at the proposed gathering.

Baz

AR
11-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Either your dealer is very good, or there is a cat in the bag and Honda UK wants to keep it that way.

Glad it worked out for you whatever the reason was.

Cheers,

AR

Baz
17-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Had the new wheel fitted yesterday adn while I was having a coffee in Norton Way's very nice in-house cafe I was presented with a chunk of filler from my old wheel! It was a repair then as someone here suggested. Fortunately Honda has not asked for the return of the wheel as it was a goodwill gesture, not a warranty claim. However, I wouldn't be surprised if their people thought it was a repair from the pic I sent.
The only downside to this saga is the total non response from the dealer I purchased the car from back in Feb this year - Yeomans Honda of Litlehampton (name and be shamed!)

Baz

mcibuk
22-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Good to see you got a good result.
Looking closely at the photo tended to suggest a filler had been used - you can see where it has been smoothed out. If the rest of the wheel was in good shape you should try and get the wheel as a spare i t could have value to someone in the club for racing etc..

simonprelude
22-11-2006, 12:20 PM
If it has been done under warranty then there is a clause that says all parts go back :(

Lankstarr
22-11-2006, 12:55 PM
MAybe you can get someone to camp near the Hhonda skip fo rwhen the chuck it out the back door ;)

sportyking
22-11-2006, 01:17 PM
The only thing that should be done to that wheel is a sledgehammer put through it.

Surely it is in the interest of all performance car owners that items like this are destroyed!
Would you like to go into a corner at xxxmph on that wheel? Even a quality repair cannot guarantee the strength of a QA'd original, who knows what specific alloy composition those wheels are forged from?

Baz, Yeomans tried to sell me a right pile of junk, when I was looking for my NSX, the first car was great but they sold that underneath me while I was deciding. The next was a real dog 02 press car with 4 really cheap budget tyres on it

AR
22-11-2006, 01:36 PM
The only thing that should be done to that wheel is a sledgehammer put through it.

Surely it is in the interest of all performance car owners that items like this are destroyed!
Would you like to go into a corner at xxxmph on that wheel? Even a quality repair cannot guarantee the strength of a QA'd original, who knows what specific alloy composition those wheels are forged from?

Baz, Yeomans tried to sell me a right pile of junk, when I was looking for my NSX, the first car was great but they sold that underneath me while I was deciding. The next was a real dog 02 press car with 4 really cheap budget tyres on it

The amount of crap that some dealers try to pull is just beyond belief. I would expect that from a second hand down the road cowboy, but from an "authorized" dealer it really sucks. No wonder people move away from the NSX. Sometimes it looks as if they think they are doing you a big favor.

Lankstarr
22-11-2006, 02:01 PM

I thought that the conclusion was that it had just had a refurb!? If it is genuinely cracked then I agree it's good for nothing... a bit of filler isn't going to affect the rigidity of the wheel though (unless it is a huge chunk of filler!)

L*