PDA

View Full Version : tracking / alignment

josewick
22-10-2006, 10:53 PM
I guess that is a DEALER job then is it?

or anywhere you know near milton keynes area that is good for the NSX..?

thanks

simonprelude
23-10-2006, 07:07 AM
I would recommend using Norton Way Honda, Letchworth for that, not too far from you,

Nick Graves
23-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Norton Way are good. NSX approved, etc.

You should have a full four-wheel alignment done, in order to get the best from it.

josewick
23-10-2006, 08:25 PM
how much am i looking at roughly and is it ok if its not on std rims or i have spacers on it??

thanks

markc
23-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Josewick,

Wheel size, offset or the use of spacers will not effect the correct suspension alignments being dialled in. However the standard settings might not work as well with non standard offsets.
I know the above sounds a bit mad but it's difficult to find recommended alignment settings for non standard wheel offsets. Most people seem to use the standard ones or slightly less aggressive ones, to minimise tyre wear, anyway.

After I changed my clutch I had my alignment done on a full 4 wheel laser system at FTC (Feltham Tyre Company) in Hounslow who had all the settings and how to adjust them in their all singing and dancing computerised system. It took the a goo 2hrs and cost was £85 but I didn't take the printout of the settings.
Seemed like a good job but my rears tore up the inside edges in less than 2000 miles, althought they weren't new by any means, which I didcovered right in the middle of the Alps!

Fortunately the local tyre fitter in Livigno (Italy) had a choice of suitable replacements in stock AND a computerised 4 wheel laser alignment system with NSX Type S settings in it. Unbelieveably they only charged e28 (euros) for a full alignment and rectified the excessive rear toe (camber was fine) and brought the front caster back into spec. Again the job took about 2hrs. Even the tyres 255x40x17 Bridgestone S03PP's were cheap(ish) as Livigno is VAT free. Overall an absolute bargain and I have the printout this time!

Not suggesting you travel to Livigno just for new tyres though :-)

Possibly an NSX dealer would do a better job as they see NSX's more regularly than a tyre shop BUT they probably don't know the equipment as well as they do less alignment jobs.

Wrong thread entirely but I couldn't resist a pic of my dead tyres, the car on the algnment lift (mirror jigs just removed) and me half way up the Italian side of Stelvio Pass with my new rubber.

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
23-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Josewick,

Norton Way are good but as has been said, they may not be regular users of the alignment kit. A little further for you is Braintree and Red Star tyres. Robert who owns the business is a member here as he runs a 93 NSX 3.0 coupe and has competition support contracts. He has great tyre knowledge and the computerised 4 wheel alignment tools. May well be worth a call.

HTH

Off Topic Markc - please post details of your trip, routes, photo's etc

Regards

jaytip
23-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Again off topic(sorry) but i have to say i was impressed with that type S when i test drove it.Couldn't get comfortable in the seats though.:sad:

josewick
23-10-2006, 11:10 PM
thank you for your help guys.. ;)

Nick Graves
24-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Blimey, that amount of rear toe-in must've made the rear end feel horrible & un-throttle-adjustable!

Are the settings the same across all model years? I've only found the earliest ones so far.

8 degrees is a lot of front caster - no wonder the car's so stable for a mid-engine.

duncan
24-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Any decent tyre fitting outfit with a computorised/lazer alignement can measure the camber, caster and toe on the car, all 4 wheels in one go. They should be equally able to make the adjustments as Mr Honda designed an easily adjustable suspension system. Pick your place well and they will have undertaken more adjustment/alignement work than a service bay.
The measurement apparatus should have an internet link to download the manufacturers tollerances, the only real question is what settings you wish to have the car set too. Check out the FAQ section on Prime to select your grip/wear balance going arround bends/in a straight line.

Nick Graves
24-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Good place, NSX Prime!

I'd suggest getting rid of some of that rear toe-in; it worked for my S2000!

I've got extra camber, less castor & minimal rear toe, but I like fast turn-in & plenty of throttle-steer. It chases the camber due to too little castor, but it's good fun!

I still knock the outer edges off the tyres though - not enough camber.

forumadmin
24-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Norton Way are perfectly capable of using their equipment. They did mine, and I have the before and after prints. My car is now bang on spec, great, but spec is terrible on the track. It was better when it was out and I had loads of front camber due to the lowering.

On another note, mark, you should post up a writeup of your drive holiday. I want to do the Stelvio Pass to Monaco sometime, maybe next year. Could even make it a NSX group tour?

markc
24-10-2006, 08:05 PM
My rear toe was measured at LR 0.18 (degrees) and RH 0.19 for a total of 0.37, spec says 0.22 Min and 0.31 and a Min total of 0.45 and Max for a total of 0.63.

The guys set it to 0.31 both sides which I assume is the least amount of rear toe and will reduce this inside edge tyre wear.

I'd done a track eveing at Silverstone on the full GP circuit with those old settings and the car felt fine. To be honest it doesn't feel noticably differant on the new settings.

I am writeing up a travelog and will post it, with more pics, in the General Discussion foum when it's done.

Cheers

Mark

Nick Graves
26-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Norton Way are perfectly capable of using their equipment. They did mine, and I have the before and after prints. My car is now bang on spec, great, but spec is terrible on the track. It was better when it was out and I had loads of front camber due to the lowering.

Well, I once got into a bit of a discussion when they gave mine double the toe-in I'd requested!

Basically, my chosen settings are more track-optimised than road-optimised, except probably a bit more rear toe would raise adhesion levals on the track.

I'm a bit quick in corners, so I prefer more camber than most find ideal.

It's all a bit of a compromise, I'm afraid. One must find one's own best set up.

Never mind these electronically-adjustable dampers; we need electronically-adjustable geometry!

Senninha
26-10-2006, 12:19 PM
On another note, mark, you should post up a writeup of your drive holiday. I want to do the Stelvio Pass to Monaco sometime, maybe next year. Could even make it a NSX group tour?

Excellent idea if the discussion on Prime ref a European meeting doesn't materialise.....or maybe do both:)