PDA

View Full Version : Gear Oil

mutley
04-11-2006, 08:48 PM
HI All, well I'm like a kid at xmas, only waiting on one driveshart/diff oil seal (been told Monday morning) and YABADABADOO I'll be ready to hit the tar mac.

BUT can anyone tell me the best gear oil to use? and where to find it? Dealer or other supplier?

I drained the gearbox to remove it ( well it more or less drained itself if you know what i mean!!)

Many thanks

An excited Jim

Nick Graves
04-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Check your handbook for the exact grade.

I know that most Honda dealers put sump oil in the 'boxes, which is too thick when cold & makes the change notchy.

Opie oils will usually recommend some 'posh' oils for you.

mutley
04-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Cheers Nick,

I don;t have a hand book, but I downloaded one off prime and I'm sure it says something like 10W 30, which I thought sounded a bit like engine oil rather than gear oil.... I always thought they were different.

Jim

markc
06-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Most people (on Prime anyway) seem to go with the specific Honda MTF as it has a very good reputation and is theoretically the stuff our 'boxes were designed to run on.

Weybridge Honda "decanted" 3 or 4 litres (can't remember how much the NSX 'box needs) for me when I did my clutch and it's been fine.

Cheers

Mark

Lankstarr
06-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Check your handbook for the exact grade.

I know that most Honda dealers put sump oil in the 'boxes, which is too thick when cold & makes the change notchy.

Opie oils will usually recommend some 'posh' oils for you.

Is this why my 4th and 6th gears are notchy when cold????? ... I was told that this was just a trait of teh NSX but if it can be remedied by usiong different gearrbox oil I'd like to know about it! also any other side affects that would come with using gear box oil that the car was not "designed to run on".

Cheers

L*