PDA

View Full Version : 1993-02+ ??

NSXGB
08-11-2006, 04:29 PM
I've owned my 1993 NSX for about 3 1/2 years now and I can safely say that I am as happy with it now as the day I bought it. I, like a few on here no doubt, would have trouble finding a replacement that could tick so many boxes, so for my next car I'm thinking of buying another NSX.

I have been considering for a while selling up and buying an 02+, but I am having trouble justifying whether it's worth spending another £20k for the facelift model just to have a fraction more performance and a younger car in the garage?

Your thoughts...is it worth the extra money??

gsuds
08-11-2006, 04:41 PM
I don't know the mileage of your car.....but is there any specific reason for wanting a change? My car is the same age as yours, and I haven't driven on '02+ (or any 3.2 for that matter), but my (completely personal) opinion would be "no" - if your car ticks all your boxes, and you remain as happy as when you bought it! With 20K you could, of course, put something additional in your garage......

Graham

NSXGB
08-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Nothing at all wrong with my car, I like the facelift model and the extra performance (if it's noticable?) would be nice.
I have not driven one, so maybe that would help....

No room for another car in my garage, but I could replace the girlfriends car with something a bit more fun....I won't tell her that yet though.......

kevinpsw
08-11-2006, 05:35 PM
I was in Chiswick Honda whilst my car had a service (not a single thing wrong I'm pleased to say) and there was a 04 (I think) red car. It was priced at £41k at 20k miles (I think there might be other lower mileage 02 cars around for a bit less) and very desirable. But is it worth £21k more than my 97 3.0 5 speed, probably not. I would have to have to have plenty of money to spare to go for such an upgrade.

I'd wait for a few more years of depreciation on 02+ before buying. My prediction is that they'll be available at £27-30k in 2 years time. I'll start saving.

NSXGB
08-11-2006, 05:56 PM
I'd wait for a few more years of depreciation on 02+ before buying. My prediction is that they'll be available at £27-30k in 2 years time. I'll start saving.

Do you think that they will depreciate that much in two years? IMO I don't think they will....but have been wrong before :) .

One reason I bought an NSX was the fact that due to it's exclusivity etc., it holds it's value well.

DamianW
08-11-2006, 09:13 PM
I would say the facelifts might be heading towards low 30s in 2 years time, think 27k is low. I reckon I could still ask 32k for my 51 plate, last of the pop-ups (which reminds me, anyone know of a later pop-up car than mine?).

simonprelude
08-11-2006, 09:20 PM
I had been looking at the NIOP 05 in Coventry and much the same I cannot see why I would part with my car and hand over up to £30k when in real terms what would I get besides an asset that depreciates faster.

Decent 02+s less than £30k in 2 years, I wouldn't have thought so, but could be wrong.
Higher mileage slightly tatty ones maybe.

kevinpsw
09-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Why do I think 02+ will get quite a bit cheaper over the next 2 years?

IMHO the 02+ cars are still in the steep phase of car depreciation whereas, for the older cars, the curve will be much less steep. I'd like to think that the older cars will only depreciate by £1-2k a year, slower than a one year old Focus would.

In fact, a 02+ at £27-30k in two years time, the best part of 50% of its original purchase value at 6-7 years old, would be a remarkable residual. Maseratis and Astons do not hold their value that well although I suspect some of the Ferrari community (perhaps not the V12 2+2s) might hold their % value a bit higher.

The NSX is exclusive (another way of saying they didn't sell many) but it is not immune to the market forces that affect almost every other car. Most cars are worth less than 50% of purchase price at just 3 years old, some are only worth 35%. The good news is that NSX reliability and its modest running costs mean that the car should never fall into the bargain basement like, say, an 8 Series BMW has (a very good and very expensive car though, in its day). I would like to think that even the oldest of manual NSXs, if well cared for, will still be worth about £15k in 5 years time. But we shall see.

I love my current car but do hope to be able to afford a 02+ in the future.

Papalazarou
09-11-2006, 07:11 PM
I was thinking about that post the other day, where the newbie was talking about accident damage and the '200' cars that were imported in addition to the official ones.

Questions;

1. Do we believe that there were this many additional cars imported?

2. If true does this make a difference to the prices of NSX's in the UK?

And finally, Is there any possible way of accurately calculating how many NSX's there are in the UK?

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
09-11-2006, 07:23 PM
James,

I think the aswers to most of your questions will be revealed when Simon has tme to complete the registrations records that he's building ....

As for question 2 .. my view on the pricing issue is that the good clean, well documented cars will continue to make good money, particularly the late pop ups (I hope). I thnk the 02+ will dive a bit more but not as heavily as has been suggested.

regards

Paul

AR
09-11-2006, 07:32 PM
I think we might see the 360 vs. F355 syndrome.

Cheers,

AR

Papalazarou
09-11-2006, 07:53 PM
James,

I think the aswers to most of your questions will be revealed when Simon has tme to complete the registrations records that he's building ....

As for question 2 .. my view on the pricing issue is that the good clean, well documented cars will continue to make good money, particularly the late pop ups (I hope). I thnk the 02+ will dive a bit more but not as heavily as has been suggested.

regards

Paul

I agree with you, I can't really see the 02+ cars losing that much in the next couple of years. At the same time, I can't see any earlier cars losing anything at all.
I may be wrong, but I still consider my 96 car to be worth what I paid for it, although I suppose I have spent a little on it.

Cheers,

James.

jaytip
10-11-2006, 01:07 AM
Out of curiosity, i went into my local Audi main dealership today and asked about backward part ex's(part-ex'ing a more expensive car for a cheaper one) they said yes and then looked on their computer at glass' website for a valuation for mine.The website only went back as far as a 99 and according to them the trade value for a 99 was 21K.
So if anyone is thinking of moving their car on in the near future(like me)the message is loud and clear,SELL IT IN THE NSX COMMUNITY where people have a REAL understanding of the market value.

simonprelude
10-11-2006, 10:34 AM
I have been offered up to £23k part ex for mine against another NSX (which may be slightly over priced though) so will attest to the low values given for trade in's.

Against a cash price on the other car I guess they were only really offering me £20k for mine.