PDA

View Full Version : Exporting an NSX to the US

Jim
22-11-2006, 10:17 PM
I am moving to the US for a few years and I am thinking of taking my NSX as it was a project that I have not had time to work on due to business trips taking up all of my time. Does anyone know if the UK version of the NSX will meet the DOT (Department of Transport) standards in the US. I am moving to Philadelphia on the 29th Dec.

Thanks for any information in advice.

Jim

Senninha
23-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Jim,

I dont know the answer but wondered if you've asked the question on NSX Prime? MIght get you a quick and accurate answer.

HTH

Paul

nigel
24-11-2006, 03:37 PM
There are several differences between the UK and the US version besides the RHD and LHD. UK version is badged Honda, ours is badged Acura, turn signals in the front are different, exhaust must meet US standards, which are different in certain states, Calif is the worst, as one would expect. I'm sure there is more. As the NSX is an excotic car, there may be some concessions. The US Customs, won't release your car from holding, without proper documentation. I'm sure there are companies here, for a fee, will get it in top shape to clear customs. I have brought cars in to the US from the Bahamas, it was a pain even before 9 /11, but it was do able.
Ask this question at NSXPrime. I'm sure many helpful people will be able and willing to give you the specific info. It's a great site for the NSX communitity.

Cheers

nigel

Papalazarou
24-11-2006, 04:00 PM
I am moving to the US for a few years and I am thinking of taking my NSX as it was a project that I have not had time to work on due to business trips taking up all of my time. Does anyone know if the UK version of the NSX will meet the DOT (Department of Transport) standards in the US. I am moving to Philadelphia on the 29th Dec.

Thanks for any information in advice.

Jim

Hi Jim,

sorry to hear you're leaving. Hopefully you're going somewhere that doesn't rain for half the year!
Hopefully we can arrange to meet up before you depart.

Cheers,

James.

Jim
24-11-2006, 09:08 PM
James I am moving to Philadelphia on the 29th Dec so the weather will be better in the summer, but cold in the winter. If I can short out the shipping of the car ( I have a 40 foot box going over with all the house hold goods and I am hoping there is room for the car in there as will ). If not I will have to sell the car quick and take a beating on it, so I could be setting a new record for the cheapest working NSX to be sold in the UK in the next couple of weeks. If I cannot ship it with alot of extra cost I will put it on hear for sale sub £10K as it not cosmetic work and on Ebay as it will have to go.

I have my figures crossed for the shipping as I think it will take £2000 to bring it up to a really nice state with GPS after market centre console etc. I had great plans for the car over the last year and have just not had the time or focus to make it happen. My new job in the US will allow me the time to work on the project as I had planned and the parts/ labour is so much cheaper over there.

Anyway if you are about next Sunday 3rd it would be good to meet up, I can drive down and meet up with you somewhere off the M5.

Jim

Nick Graves
25-11-2006, 08:35 PM
TBH, I think you might have a lot of trouble legalising it over there - wiring for side marker lamps, equivalent of the SVA, etc. Not least because the dumbasses will never have heard of a Honda NSX!

Cars depreciate heavily across the pond, so I suspect you'd be better off getting an Acura NSX instead.