PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got an Alpine CHA-S634 CD Changer Working?

CrazyMixedUpKid
30-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Hi,

Got one of these changers for X-mas and the Alpline KCA-130B Ai-Net to M-Bus converter lead ... thought I was going to do the 'resolder' job as described on Prime instead of getting the 'Honda/Acura to Alpine DIN converter' ... when I unpacked the box I couldn't make out which cable end I was supposed to be dismantling ? The Ai-Net ends were enclosed in one metal surround so no getting into them without partially destroying - plus the wiring didn't look anything like the link said ... or should it be the DIN end on the KCA-130B ? But this looks like a sealed unit ...

Anyone done this re-solder job? If so - what did you do?

Being impulsive I decided to plug it all in anyway without the Honda/Acura to Alpine converter to see what happens - it works - kind of ... but the left speaker sounds like its playing in a tunnel!! Worryingly like this thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72582&highlight=634+problem

So - now I'm worried that even if I get the converter cable I'll still have problems!! This guy (Edub) never got it sorted - e-mailed him yesterday!

Any help / advice appreciated!
Hope you all had a good X-mas
Cheers
Paul

simonprelude
30-12-2006, 11:14 AM
If no one on here has done it, then you might find some help on the S2000 forum.

DamianW
30-12-2006, 12:27 PM
I just bought the DIN converter thing instead, got my Dad to order it in the US and send it over. Its expensive for what it is (what isn't?) but worked fine. I'd go down that route personally.

CrazyMixedUpKid
30-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Damian - can I ask - what do you get if you try it without the converter cable? Nothing at all or the same as me (echo-like left side speaker). If so - I can rest easy and just get the cable!

Also - what year is your car - I'm wondering if stuff changed in the NA1 -> NA2 ... mine is NA2 ...
Thanks

DamianW
30-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Hi - I never tried it without the converter, and if you don't mind I'd rather not get my boot carpet back up and start fiddling with it in case I break it (I'm the most ham fisted DIYer imaginable).

My car is 2001, one of the last pop-ups around I reckon.

CrazyMixedUpKid
30-12-2006, 01:43 PM
no worries - cable it is ...

DamianW
30-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Reckon it'll be fine - if it isn't you can blame me ;)

duncan
30-12-2006, 06:32 PM
If you are going to swap the pins over, the swap is in the lead that comes into the boot [near side engine bulkhead].
i.e before the circular factory Din;
if my memory is correct the sequence is Unit to - staight fitting on extension lead, 90 degree fitting on ext lead to KCA-130B adapter, then the adapter Din fitting to the Acc-alp convertor or to factory Din with swapped over leads.
The factory wiring route is along nearside boot then tie-wrapped to lighting wiring loom across back of car and then forward to Changer unit.
The only difficult bit will be cutting and re-soldering the leads, I'd buy the Acc-alp convertor, then its just plug and play.
Regards,
Duncan

NSXGB
04-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Paul,
If you plug in the changer without using the converter lead or desoldering the pins in the din lead, you will get the symptoms you describe with your left hand speaker.

When I bought my car it had an Alpine replacement boot changer and the conversion had not been done....god knows how long the previous owner had put up with that??

Details on Prime of which pins to swap round.

Martyn27_uk
12-01-2007, 08:07 PM
This happened to me a while ago so I'm working from memory.... the L hand speaker would play up even though I had the correct DIN converting cable. One of the connections to the printed circuit board behind the DIN socket on the autochanger had burned out...

Might be worth a look ( easy dismantle ) if the cable trick doesn't work...