PDA

View Full Version : What goes in your transmission?

AR
05-01-2007, 05:02 PM
As soon as finish the move to the new place I am planning to do a few bits of maintenance on the NSX. One of them is the transmission or in engrish "mission" fluid change. Would you use Honda MTL or something like GM or Penzoil SynchroMesh Friction Modified?

Cheers,

AR

markc
07-01-2007, 11:56 AM
I refilled mine with Honda MTL after I removed the 'box to replace the clutch last year. Shift quality is excellent but likes a little time and temperature to get that way.

I read various opinions on Prime but there didn't seem to be any real concensus as to whether anything is better or indeed worse than the Honda stuff.
Most people were looking to improve an already baulking shift which I guess begs the question how/why did it get that way?

Cheers

Mark

AR
07-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Mark, I was just curious if there was something " better" outhere. Is Honda the best place for Honda MTF?

Cheers,

AR

markc
07-01-2007, 04:13 PM
I think a Honda dealer is the only place to get "Honda MTF"? Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) from any other source, even if it says suitable for Honda gearbox's, it won't be Honda MTF.

I used Mobil 1 SHC (75W-90) in my old 993 which some claimed improved the change. It certainly felt better after the first change but when I had it changed again 2yrs later it also felt better, so I concluded that new/fresh oil was better than 2yr old stuff. No shock there then :-)

Provided you use the manufacturer recommended stuff or a high performance equivelent with the correct viscosity properties etc, I suspect it's more important to change it regularly than which brand you go for. I make sure mine gets changed every 2yrs.

I'm sure the guys at Opie Oils will be able to advise the best ie technically highest performing oils, and indeed explain why and should also be able to recommend one for the NSX 'box.

Cheers

Mark

AR
07-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Mark which engine oil do you use on your car? Last time it was in Honda they use magnatec 10w-40. I am thinking of goig with Amsoil 10w-30 as recommended in the manual.

Cheers,

AR

markc
07-01-2007, 10:29 PM
I've always been a Mobil 1 man. Refilled with fresh Mobil 1 5W-40 ahead of my trip to Italy.

It used to be easy, Mobil 1, then called "Mobil 1 Rally Formula" came in the one variety, 0W-50, now it come in several grades. I usually get a few cans whenever we go to France because they do 5W-40 which is difficult to get here, and it's a lot cheaper over there.

Was tempted by the "Motul 300v Power" 5W-40 as recommended by Opie but I dithered and ran out of time to order it before I needed to change. Opie advised this or "Silkolene Pro S" 5W-40 because they're Ester based (apparently it's a chemical thing) and therefore very stable at high temperature and also cling to engine components ensuring good protection at all times.

Mark

AR
07-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Cheers for the advice Mark, now I only need to finish the moving process, before I can get to play with the car. :)

I wish I'd known about the oil in France, only thing we brought back was booze!

Regards

AR

Nick Graves
08-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Actually, a lot of Honda dealers don't stock MTF, so they just lob engine oil in your box.

Which makes the change a bit stiff in the cold mornings.