PDA

View Full Version : Pads

reg
01-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Having sorted some OEM discs I am now on the hunt for pads/lines.

This probably overlaps with the other thread a little, apologies for that but please bear with me asking lots of stupid questions:D

So far the ~price(f&r set)/pros/cons of what I have found are;

1. Type-R £700 great performance/not cheap
2. Project Mu (Street/Track) £100 good feedback from people here/unsure of delivery
3. Hawk HPS £70 universally loved/universally hated
4. Procar £350 apparently close to stock R pad/no feedback and still not cheap
5. Ferodo £na well recommended/no rears for the 3.2
6. EBC reds £120 universally loved/universally hated and no feedback from NSX users
7. EBC yellow £130 universally loved/universally hated and no feedback from NSX users

Not looking for track days just good road performance and normal disc wear. Noise isn't too big a deal but would prefer less obviously. EBC say that the new forumla yellow's are very good and although billed as a race pad for heavier and quicker cars work well on the road. Also they are prepared to offer a set at decent discounts if I guinea pig them! For now the R pads and Procar pads will be on a 'wish list' as this round of improvements serves to get the car out on the road rather than be the ultimate set-up. The Hawks are a bit of a steal at £70 (4) but are you getting what you pay for?! Why Ferodo would not have a pad for the rear is beyond me. The other option is stock pads imported which are about £110.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

simonprelude
01-02-2007, 11:10 AM
I would not be guinea pigging pads on the NSX even if they were free, especially not from EBC.

Besides, as stated by EBC themselves, they manufacture pads for cars they don't even advise you use them on. ie You can (or could) buy EBC green stuff for the Prelude, when I rang up to complain how bad they were, they said they don't advise you use green stuff on a Prelude as they are not good enough, figure ??

I have the type R pads and am very happy with them, oh and didn't pay £700 for them either. Quite a few people use black diamond discs, I have found their pads to be very good also, not sure if anyone has used them on an NSX again though, so ??

reg
01-02-2007, 11:22 AM
I would not be guinea pigging pads on the NSX even if they were free, especially not from EBC.

Besides, as stated by EBC themselves, they manufacture pads for cars they don't even advise you use them on. ie You can (or could) buy EBC green stuff for the Prelude, when I rang up to complain how bad they were, they said they don't advise you use green stuff on a Prelude as they are not good enough, figure ??

I have the type R pads and am very happy with them, oh and didn't pay £700 for them either. Quite a few people use black diamond discs, I have found their pads to be very good also, not sure if anyone has used them on an NSX again though, so ??

I ran greens (I know!) on the ITR and everyone said don't do it. They were fine on the road for me. It is important though to get opinions on tried and tested combinations from the real world rather than going on a fitment list from a supplier. Believe me if I could get cheap Type-R pads they would be in the post already!!

Rob_Fenn
01-02-2007, 11:41 AM
I would personally go with Ferodo fronts and keep to OEM rears as they don't do much in any event... and presumably they will be the cheapest.

EBC improved their Greens last year supposedly, i had the 'originals' on my Clio and thought they were terrible.

At the end of the day Ferodo are the biggest company, there R&D department is probably as big as the others. Besides, very easy to get hold of.

Bit of a mistake buying OEM discs to be honest...they won't last!

reg
01-02-2007, 11:57 AM
I would personally go with Ferodo fronts and keep to OEM rears as they don't do much in any event... and presumably they will be the cheapest.

EBC improved their Greens last year supposedly, i had the 'originals' on my Clio and thought they were terrible.

At the end of the day Ferodo are the biggest company, there R&D department is probably as big as the others. Besides, very easy to get hold of.

Bit of a mistake buying OEM discs to be honest...they won't last!

I am not mixing compounds it is not worth the risk. Green originals I hear were poor I apparently had the 3rd generation ones and they are on 4th now and I can only way they were fine on an ITR. As for rears not doing much each to their own opinion mine is try a car with no rear brakes and see what you think :p

The OEM discs are s/h and a stop gap until I go for new ones. As it is now I dont even want to drive it.

Rob_Fenn
01-02-2007, 12:01 PM
The rear is no problem, bearing in mind i run 6 pot front 4 pot rear and the car is solely on track...

If you haven't already i would invest in some braided lines and better brake fluid, as this will be the first to go.

reg
01-02-2007, 12:38 PM
The rear is no problem, bearing in mind i run 6 pot front 4 pot rear and the car is solely on track.

Like I said I will not be mixing compounds so the Ferodo's are not an option for me.

98NSX-T
08-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Have you considered Carbotech's Bobcat pads at $201 for a set - and they may offer a club discount too? They are street pads and bite better than the OEM, and dust pretty much the same. They have a new website: http://www.ctbrakes.com/overview.html

Carbotech has been a long standing sponsor and supporter of the NSX community in the US. HTH.

Steveycaz
08-02-2007, 08:20 PM
I have black diamond disks and EBC Yellow pads on the front of my NA1. All seems fine, good brake response, low noise, low dust etc...

amo
11-02-2007, 04:53 PM
iv had red stuff on my r34 not a prob

got project mu on mine not and they good as well

may b red stuff when i need them

thx amo

Siofkent
12-02-2007, 11:47 PM
while we are on pads, can anyone recommend an aftermarket pad/disc set up for track use?

I am considering the full upgrade by Hi Spec motorsport as it happens to be a friend of my dads who runs it. Monster 4 looks big enough for me. Just awaiting a quote

www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/

Anyone with experience of them for their NSX?Just so happens our car is good enough to go on the front of the online catalogue. Good choice

;)

reg
14-02-2007, 04:55 PM
while we are on pads, can anyone recommend an aftermarket pad/disc set up for track use?

I am considering the full upgrade by Hi Spec motorsport as it happens to be a friend of my dads who runs it. Monster 4 looks big enough for me. Just awaiting a quote

www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/ (http://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/)

Anyone with experience of them for their NSX?Just so happens our car is good enough to go on the front of the online catalogue. Good choice

;)

Have a read here http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=257

After loads of talking to different people I am ordering Project Mu pads, Stainless lines and after seeing Paul's carbon deflectors some of those as well. The covers and the std deflectors are a very poor design no matter which way you look at it. Honda seem to have a thing for bizzare braking systems, VF400 inboard discs anyone?!

End of the month splashguards are being removed and all the kit fitted, should be an entertaining weekend! I am no expert but from the research I have done on here and Prime it seems std discs can take a fair amount of abuse if the lines and pads are upgraded. Some people buy the cheapest replacements they can find and swear that's the way to go and others say two piece discs etc, etc.

If it is serious track car then the only way is going to be a big brake kit from the likes of Brembo/AP etc, which begs the question then is it going to be a road car or track car as not long after you incerase the braking performance you wil be needing revised suspension?

I guess the point I am making is change the lines/pads and do the deflector mod then stick it back on the track, if it works then you have just saved a bunch of money, if not you will have to go for big brakes and all the stuff that goes along with them.

Minch
14-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Note: Just be careful thats the discs and calipers aren't too big for the wheels!

Siofkent
14-02-2007, 05:26 PM
thanks for that Reg/Minch and others. Very useful. Did Kevin ever come back and say how the Hi Spec kit performed on track?

I have goodrich hoses and Dot 5.1 fluid on order for about £75 delivered which seems fair. And even better is the track day at Brands Hatch open Pitlane for an hour and a half on Tuesday afternoon of 27th March for £59 for re-testing brakes !!!!

Sign me up !!!