PDA

View Full Version : trackday

gumball
03-03-2007, 12:48 PM
can a stock 1992 nsx cope with an open pit lane track day or will I spend half the day waiting for the brakes to cool, and do you think track driving is "abusing" the nsx? or am I being pessimistic?

thanks.

sportyking
03-03-2007, 01:46 PM
I think it rather depends on how you use it, a trackday can be enjoyed without going at 110%, and one key issue is to not worry about more mundane cars hammering past you.
I never my took my NSX (now gone to an even more caring owner) because it was too precious, but even for its one Easter weekend ring trip, on advice from here I upgraded the pads, brake hoses and fluid. It is a better car for it and mine was on the larger brakes. If your hoses are original (15 years old) they really should be changed as a matter of course before giving them the heavy use a track may demand. The fluid would naturally be done at the same time.

I did a trackday last weekend and I would guess a quarter or more cars were gone by lunchtime due to mechanical failure or damage incurred, is that the cars fault or the drivers? The weather was better in the afternoon as well

Kevin
03-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Just because its open day doesn't mean you need to be on the track all the time!

Depending on how low the laps are at the track, ie Bedford at 4.5 miles x 3mins per lap, 10 laps are going to take 30mins.

After 30mins you will be worn out, whether the car is or not. So if you allow a lap to warm up, and one to cool down, your sessions will probably be around 20mins a time. Take 30mins rest between attempts and you'll be fine.

Depending if the track closes for lunch or not, I don't go onto the track before lunch, but wait till it is lunchtime, as it's usually quieter, and I take my own lunch. If there's no petrol on site, or its really expensive, then you'll take some time out to get that too.

Bascially even on a open day, I'll do no more than 3 hours on track. I try to pick times that look quiet. Everyone goes out first thing, so I avoid that. Also I don't go out in the last hour, as it's a time when someone wants to do a banzai lap.

Remember the most important thing of the day is to get home in one piece. If I do that, then the day is a success, no matter how much time I spent on track.

Open days are better than session days. There's no queuing up, and no feeling that you 'need' to be out there.

modarr
05-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Just might add it depends what track. Even 20 minutes out on the Brands Indy circuit will seriously punish your brakes. 30 minutes out at Bedford is no problem, there's time to cool brakes, read the paper and do your hair on the long straights.

Stock NSx with new pads and fluid is much tougher than the likes of Caterham et al (from experience).

QuietJim
05-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Remember, like sportyking says you don't have to drive absolutely nads-out all the time to enjoy yourself. The first time I took my (stock '91 import) NSX on track (at Rockingham) the brakes overheated after about the first 4 or 5 laps and I nearly didn't make the first corner at all. Ever since then I've just braked earlier than I've needed to and it's happily sailed through every track day since. I'm not saying I just pootle around - I still give it the full beans - I just brake earlier and more gently.

IMHO if you don't track it, you're missing half the experience. The NSX is a great road car, but push it on track and it transforms into a completely different animal, it's quite amazing how it morphs into a real track warrior once you stretch the chassis. You'll never see that on the road no matter how much of a nutter you are ;o)

If you want general advice on track days, I'm sure we can advise further - as Stirling Moss once advised on camera when interviewed about us unwashed doing track days, "always go a little slower than you think you can."

Track use is definitely not abusing the NSX, it's using it.

Rob_Fenn
07-03-2007, 12:41 PM
I agree, the NSX is a fine trackcar. I have read people say it understeers etc. etc. but it was never a problem for me. The brakes are a real let down though, feel is great but they just don't last.

Personally i would get some better pads fitted with braided hoses and higher temp fluid beforehand, it's not worth risking a ruined day.

gumball
07-03-2007, 02:52 PM
i've done a few track "experiences" and done the race intesive day and advanced single seater at silverstone and now looking at getting one-on-one tuition at a track day at donington so I will be looking to push on alot of the time, I suppose I could hire an s1 elise then maybe do an odd stint in the nsx once ive got the hang of it a little more:)

Rob_Fenn
07-03-2007, 03:44 PM
I remember when i hired an Elise/Instructor for the day at Silverstone and almost went off at the first corner in the NSX! :D