PDA

View Full Version : Paintwork prepared for JamesFest

Steveycaz
22-04-2007, 04:55 PM
I took 2.5 hours washing, cleaning and waxing my car this morning. I must say, I couldn't get into this detailing lark for a hobby but I am exceptionally pleased with the results. I had lots of swirl marks all over the car which, although still remain, are significantly reduced. The colour depth of the paint and the gloss achieved by doing the job in several stages is astounding. Not bad for 16 year-old paint is it...

If you're interested I used:

Meguiars NSX Tech Shampoo using a lambswool mitt (as advised from this forum! Great result so thanks!)
Meguiars Stage 1 Paint Cleaner. Synthetic applicator and microfibre buffing cloth.
Zymol Cleaner Wax. Applied as above. This is a polish and wax in one but still has amazing results - and is aromatherepeutic to boot :D
Finally I used a fine spray of water (chlorine free) and a cotton cloth for a final buff-up.Once a year job I think!

mutley
22-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Very good..... I think I'll win the prize for worst NSX !!! not only do the front panels need aligned, but it's sitting in Edinburgh, I have to fly over to collect it the night before, drive it down, Oh it'll look a mess!!. Will have to try and give it a quick clean when I get there!!

Senninha
22-04-2007, 11:34 PM
I took 2.5 hours washing, cleaning and waxing my car this morning. I must say, I couldn't get into this detailing lark for a hobby but I am exceptionally pleased with the results.
Once a year job I think!
So next weekend you have her up on axle stands, wheels off and detailing the chassis then......... ;)

I have to say Steve, very good planning. If S2 gets a polish it will probably be the night before!

regards, Paul

reg
23-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Hoping for a 10 minute downpour on the way, that should do it :)

I started on the rear arches, and after soaking myself and next doors cat in the process there is still much work needed!

Senninha
23-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Finally I used a fine spray of water (chlorine free) and a cotton cloth for a final buff-up.
Steve,

Was this a recomended process of the products you use or a Steveycaz secret ingredient?

regards, Paul

reg
23-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Steve,

Was this a recomended process of the products you use or a Steveycaz secret ingredient?

regards, Paul

Some Zymol stuff I had a while back said the same thing. Polish then spray with water and buff? Something about about zymes being activated!

Silver Surfer
23-04-2007, 03:37 PM
You guys will be peppered with dead bugs on your travels unless you travel at <40mph all the way.

;)

SS

mutley
23-04-2007, 03:48 PM
You guys will be peppered with dead bugs on your travels unless you travel at <40mph all the way.

;)

SS

Yeah coz that's likely to happen !!

Senninha
23-04-2007, 04:33 PM
MOre like 140 ;) its my new plan to hide the front plate in dead bugs rather than remove it!

Steveycaz
23-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Some Zymol stuff I had a while back said the same thing. Polish then spray with water and buff? Something about about zymes being activated!

To answer Paul's question - yes Zymol states it as an extra step to add more depth - appratenly the water bonds with the wax before it fully sets!

Steveycaz
23-04-2007, 07:04 PM
My theory is that any bugs, dirt etc I pick up before the event is easier to wash off clean paint. Just as well bacuase I'm down at Sandbanks on a course and the birds have sh1t all over it already!

mutley
23-04-2007, 09:38 PM
I think I'll probably find a jet wash before hand, and if time is on my hands and weather permitting, I'l bring along some wax.

Jim

Senninha
23-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Just as well bacuase I'm down at Sandbanks on a course and the birds have sh1t all over it already!
Thanx for the info on Zymol Steve. BTW, my friend has a theory that the birds only sh1t on the clean ones ;)

Silver Surfer
24-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Steveycas,

Does you car look like this one?

Here's the answer:

http://www.bird****remover.co.uk/iqs/sid.0258995022112027704927/video.html

SS ;)

Steveycaz
24-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Thanx for the info on Zymol Steve. BTW, my friend has a theory that the birds only sh1t on the clean ones ;)

Apparently they like to sh1t on water and a clean car looks like shiny water:confused: - I still shoot the little blighters whenever I can!

rkanaga
24-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Nice job with the Meguiar's Steve, I went the whole 3 step thing on my car (including a clay bar before the polish - highly recommended, it only adds about 40 mins to the job and really helps). I might try your tip of using the Zymol cleaner wax though, that would save some time.

regards

Robin

Senninha
24-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Which Zymol product are you using please? Seems to be a wide range of options and as none of it is cheap (thought I'm sure good value), I'd like to be sure of buying the right stuff

regards, Paul

Steveycaz
24-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Which Zymol product are you using please? Seems to be a wide range of options and as none of it is cheap (thought I'm sure good value), I'd like to be sure of buying the right stuff

regards, Paul

Its called 'Cleaner Wax' and is blue and smells lovely:D ! I'm no expert but paint can only be so clean, as mine was in relatively good nick I went for a combined polish and wax - IMHO it is the preparation (cleaning) of the paintwork that makes the difference. After I had used the Meguiars stage 1 Deep Crystal Cleaner the car instantly looked shinier and deeper and felt as smooth as glass (otherwise I would also have clayyed it). The polish and wax I think mainly added the protective layer to keep it that way.

One thing I did notice was that the swirls looked significantly reduced once I'd finished but still visible. After a couple of hours they had all but disappeared. I think the drying process for the wax makes a big difference as well.

amo
24-04-2007, 11:26 PM
very nice
washed and polished mine twice last week 2 hours each
again next week build up the wax layers lol

thx amo

Senninha
24-04-2007, 11:35 PM
washed and polished mine twice last week 2 hours each
again next week build up the wax layers lol
thx amo
So that will take care of the power advantage as you drag all that polish around with you Amo ;)

forumadmin
25-04-2007, 08:28 PM
So that will take care of the power advantage as you drag all that polish around with you Amo ;)

Anyone knows that wax gives you an aerodynamically slippery surface:rolleyes:

TheSebringOne
26-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Think I might reduce the CO drag factor down by polishing the X, improve the MPG & top speed and get to Japfest quicker! Some how I don't think the flies and Birds who want to let go their bits, will bounce off a well polished motor!? :D Then again after polishing it, I will have to do it again after I've arrived at Japfest! Simon are you giving your X any attention or are you staying with the USED look as per your vBgarage? ;)

simonprelude
26-04-2007, 11:33 AM
I've thought about cleaning it, is that similar ??

Senninha
26-04-2007, 12:04 PM
I've thought about cleaning it, is that similar ??
Come on Simon, even Kevin is cleaning his with his new polishing kit, the least you could do is throw some soapy water at the poor thing ;)

TheSebringOne
26-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Wow you actually thought about it! you're not getting symptoms of compulsive cleaning disorder are you !? ;) Anyway look forward to meeting the man who has P27 & the Maser type Prelude at Japfest! James :D

mutley
26-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Hmmm and I thought our track session was just going to be a casual bimble rounds, sounds like some are taking it serious !!!

PS word of warning, my abs and TCS don't work!!

Kevin
27-04-2007, 07:00 AM
Yeah, I'm going for the shiny award at Jamesfest. Either that or I'll ruin the paintwork, which will result in me stripping off the paint, and polishing the bare aluminium.

Don't get too shocked, but I might even get some 303 engine degreaser and clean the engine.

mutley
27-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I'm going for the shiny award at Jamesfest. Either that or I'll ruin the paintwork, which will result in me stripping off the paint, and polishing the bare aluminium.

Don't get too shocked, but I might even get some 303 engine degreaser and clean the engine.

So you could be going for the De Lorean look???

Jim

Lankstarr
27-04-2007, 09:42 AM
stripping off the paint, and polishing the bare aluminium.

Now that would look awesome... maybe a bit bling on a sunny day but you'd definitley win the shiny competition!

TheQuietOne
27-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Now that would look awesome... maybe a bit bling on a sunny day but you'd definitley win the shiny competition!

Except for all the plastic bits - i.e bumpers...:D

Senninha
27-04-2007, 10:19 AM

Something like this perhaps??

mutley
27-04-2007, 11:08 AM
OOOOOOOOOOO I like that body kit/ bonnet.

Jim

britlude
27-04-2007, 10:00 PM
started polishing mine today, 5 hours and counting.... not even at the wax stage yet!!

mutley
27-04-2007, 10:06 PM
started polishing mine today, 5 hours and counting.... not even at the wax stage yet!!

now now stop it, this is not fair, my car is about 200 miles away from me and I'm not gong to see it until the day before!!!

hurumph!!

Jim

britlude
28-04-2007, 09:06 AM
(.....that's 5 hours with an air powered polishing mop!)

TheSebringOne
28-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Britlude, you must be very excited as theres a few more weeks to go, unless your going for the "Concours De elegance" title ! ;)

Jim, I think you should get a prize for pure effort, crossing land & sea & distance to make it to Japfest! A bit like the Honda ad during the F1 programmes! ;)

ps. I'm gonna have a proper look at my front lower splitter in a bit after its fight with the ferry ramp in the Lakes last week, not even got round to washing the muck from the Lakes roads yet, let alone polish ! :D

mutley
28-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Britlude, you must be very excited as theres a few more weeks to go, unless your going for the "Concours De elegance" title ! ;)

Jim, I think you should get prize for pure effort, crossing land & sea & distance to make it to Japfest! A bit like the Honda ad during the F1 programmes! ;)

ps. I'm gonna have a proper look at my front lower splitter in a bit after its fight with the ferry ramp in the Lakes last week, not even got round to washing the muck from the Lakes roads yet, let alone polish ! :D

OOOOOOO does that mean I get a prize too???

Jim

britlude
28-04-2007, 04:04 PM
too many chips for concours! just taking advantage of a free weekend, and a moment of madness...

TheSebringOne
28-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Jim, sorry still looking for the elusive coconuts from Scotland to award you! I'm sure people would very much appreciate the effort, maybe with global warming, these coconuts are are ready for falling down ;)

Britlude, I don't think I will be parking next to yours, as it would put my to shame! Next to Simon is probably more appropriate :D

TheSebringOne
28-04-2007, 07:40 PM
If its of any interest, Halfords are having a buy 3 items, pay for 2 on all cleaning & polishing products (cheapest item free) & also 25% off their branded part synthectic engine oil. ENDS this coming Monday. Now theres no excuse for not giving the X a little TLC for Japfest is there! :D

TheSebringOne
29-04-2007, 12:44 AM
Think those tracking it, may have to give Jim a wide berth! No ABS or TCS! Maybe you don't need these as you are either so far a head or behind!? ;) I seen the said Delorean in the "cars of the Stars" museum at Keswick, but the Back to Future one, with the food/blender processor on the back boot! Now that would be cheap to run! :D Paul, I think the colour is quite different & nice in a dark denim blue? Obviously in the USA due to front wing amber indicator!, where you get the pic from? :rolleyes: Matt, nice to hear your still around! ;)

mutley
29-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Think those tracking it, may have to give Jim a wide berth! No ABS or TCS! Maybe you don't need these as you are either so far a head or behind!? ...................................)

..........OR maybe I think driver aids are for big wusses and I don't need them!!!!!! ( Yeah, you can all remind me about that comment whist fishing me out of the tire wall!!) ;)

Jim

TheSebringOne
29-04-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm sure you are a very competant driver Jim. If you don't have these driving aids at present, it teaches you to learn the safer limits. I suppose you roughly know the limits of your X and yourself, unless your a track virgin! So go to these limits, feel the adhesion of the track surface, factor in the weather & watch all around you. Have fun, glad its you tracking it rather than me! :D

mutley
29-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Why is that? Don't you fancy a little blast round the track?

Yes I know what you mean and I have used some "private" roads to know where the limits are. This will be my first track session EVER !!! but I will be taking it relatively easy, I know the car is still not 100% and that the tyres I have are ok, but again not the best that are on the market. I'm just looking forward to an overall good day. The fact that we have a wee track session is just a bonus, so I'm not going after the chequred flag (Maybe next year though hehehehe)

Jim

TheSebringOne
29-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Even though I drive the X to the limits that I know and have my favourite quiet, back & non Gatsos roads in the Cheshire countryside (lucky me), I don't think I have the necessary track skills to out drive the X, so I suppose testing these limits or extending my skills, can only be done on a track or airfield! Suppose I will have a go soon or next year! Maybe since I only do 1K pa at present does'nt help (sad I know!) , so lack the intimate daily knowledge of the X? or May be I under estimate my driving skills, but I suppose its safer than to be sorry! ;)

Senninha
29-04-2007, 07:56 PM
The fact that we have a wee track session is just a bonus, so I'm not goiong after the chequred flag Jim
Remember guys, there are no prizes for being quick on a track day and we'll all be very protective of our P&J's so wont take kindly to unresponsible driving, which I'm sure we wont see.

mutley
29-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Exactly, I'm not saying it'll be like "driving miss daisy" sunday afternoon type thing, but I'm sure we will all want to stay ON the track.

I'll be quite happy for people to pass, it's not a race after all.

Jim

TheSebringOne
30-04-2007, 12:00 AM
I think everyone here has great deal of respect for each other, the friendship gained on this forum and for their cars. So all those who are tracking it should have a safe and controlled fun :D

Kevin
30-04-2007, 06:55 AM
Who wants me as a passeneger?

Lankstarr
30-04-2007, 07:52 AM

You're more than welcome in my car... I can get some tips on the way round then :lol:

Papalazarou
30-04-2007, 11:30 AM

Last I heard, TQO was looking for a driver!!:p

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
30-04-2007, 11:40 AM

Cheers,

James.Very funny James :lol: back on form I see!

mutley
30-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Do I get to put a blue flashing light on mine?? ............and have my passenger shouting "nee naw nee naw" as we drive round. :)

TheQuietOne
30-04-2007, 12:28 PM

Cheers,

James.

You're bloody right mate desperately need to find some money for some new rears too by then....:(

Papalazarou
30-04-2007, 12:32 PM
You're bloody right mate desperately need to find some money for some new rears too by then....:(

damn those tyres, they never last more than 30K:p

Cheers,

James.

TheQuietOne
30-04-2007, 12:42 PM
damn those tyres, they never last more than 25K:p

Cheers,

James.

Get it right...:rolleyes:

TheSebringOne
01-05-2007, 02:39 AM
Hi guys, does anyone tracking it need company? I'm quite light,about 5.8-9ish and only 75kgs! I provide my own nappies and people tell me that I am a very good listener, talker or can be speechless! I can even change gears for those who have manuals, just shout & I will obey as you keep both hands on the wheel !! Cheers & willing to shed a few pounds too :(

mutley
02-05-2007, 11:23 PM
check teh lists, see who is going and only paying for 1 x stand place and cross ref. with track session.........then go grovelling.

You never know, you might get lucky!

Jim

WhyOne?
06-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Full story, see here:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=486868&st=0&#entry10456186

Here is Y1 ready for a part in the remake of Tron!

Papalazarou
06-05-2007, 11:10 PM
I like it.

mutley
06-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Looks air tight? trying to suffocate someone??

Jim

simonprelude
06-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Poor brake discs :)

WhyOne?
07-05-2007, 12:45 AM
Poor brake discs :)

Yup - it's a fair cop. Though they'd match nicely on your car!

They were shiney silver about an hour before that picture was taken - it's amazing how quickly they rust over when provoked with a bit of water.

Senninha
07-05-2007, 03:52 AM
Yup - it's a fair cop.

Be a good detective (cop) and clear some of your in/outbox please.

regards, Paul

WhyOne?
07-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Your wish is my command!

Kevin
08-05-2007, 12:56 AM
After one day of washing/claying and polishing, followed by a day of glazing and waxing my paint is done.

Today was meant to be changing the oil doing the interior. Though once I got under the car, I got busy with the spanners and removed the aircon. It was fiddly but I got all the aircon pipes out.

I would of had the rest of the week to tinker, but Bryan at Norton Way is doing us a favour by getting my and 'SIOFKENTs' cars in this week for a gearbox swap-a-thon.

So the first time I get to try out my new gearbox is down to JamesFest.

Senninha
08-05-2007, 02:12 AM
So the first time I get to try out my new gearbox is down to JamesFest.

So with the new ratios you'll be cruising at 50mph just to keep the volumes sensible then ;)

What I dont get is the a/c removal ... is it really going to make such a difference to weight/performance to warrant its place on the shelf?

regards. Paul

TheSebringOne
08-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Y one!, YHPM :D Oh I really like the result, hence the PM!

WhyOne?
09-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Y one!, YHPM :D Oh I really like the result, hence the PM!

Hi James - I'll reply properly to your PM a little later this evening, but in answer to your question about garaging the car - Y1 lives outside a lot of the time (if I am away from home with work, Y1 lives in my father in laws garage, the rest of the time.....outside). However so did my S2000 - for 5 years and 50k miles - and even with the added complexity of the soft top, my car still looked better than many 1 year old cars I have seen. It just takes a little effort, common sense and tlc.

Here are a couple of pictures of Y1 on my drive this morning (I have a Covercraft Weathersheild cover, but this doesn't go near the car if windy weather is forecast) - as you can see, the Zymol Japon wax is doing a good job:

TheSebringOne
09-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks Ian for pics & pm, if thats not beading, then I don't know what is!!

Just a few more Qs if you don't mind, after the once a year pro treatment by Tangoman, you top up Y1 with Zymol Japon wax, but if I get my done the same as yours, but my X lives in a garage (but need to seal concrete floor firstly), then how often do I need to treat X with Japon wax? Also do you wash your X with Zymol shampoo, chamois to dry? then put wax on & buff off? Finally how do you remove bird crap & flies from the treated bodywork? :D

Thanks for your time. James

britlude
10-05-2007, 05:42 PM
at last, i've finished the polishing..... just wax to do now!

ok, it may have taken a while, but in my defence I did respray the roof too!

TheSebringOne
10-05-2007, 06:02 PM
You can respray cars? is your X a fixed roof or targa? Finally I see you are now a "platinum member"? was that earned for services to the club or something else? I would like to become a Gold member personally, but I will not be mentioning cash for honours either! ;)

WhyOne?
10-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks Ian for pics & pm, if thats not beading, then I don't know what is!!

Just a few more Qs if you don't mind, after the once a year pro treatment by Tangoman, you top up Y1 with Zymol Japon wax, but if I get my done the same as yours, but my X lives in a garage (but need to seal concrete floor firstly), then how often do I need to treat X with Japon wax? Also do you wash your X with Zymol shampoo, chamois to dry? then put wax on & buff off? Finally how do you remove bird crap & flies from the treated bodywork? :D

Thanks for your time. James

Hells teeth!!!!

Okey-dokey.......I guess the answer to the question 'how often to re-wax' is somewhat dependent on how often you drive your car - if its every day, in all weathers, a wash one a week and a re-wax every month should keep it looking in top condition.

Shampoo? I dontthink it is critical what you use, as long as it is a decent quality auto-shampoo - i.e. something which wont strip the carefully and expensively applied wax straight back off. I use Autoglym shampoo, Zymol would be absolutely fine, and it is readly available from Hellfrauds, smells fantastic and doesnt cost a bomb.

Washing and drying the car is something of a black art!!! Basically, any contact with the paint surface has the potential to scratch it. So, wash the car down using the 2 bucket system (one with soapy water, the other with just water for rinsing the lovely soft deep pile lambswool wash mit used to wash the car (these are great!!!!) Sponges trap dirt on their surface and can scratch!

I use microfibre towels to dry the car - waffle weave are great. Try to bad rather than rub the car dry. When washig, drying or applying wax, try to move in straight lines rather than circles.

Oooo....and if you want to get really anal......ensure you wash your towels, applicator pads etc etc in a small quantity of liquid detergent - not washing powder - powder residue can be left in the towels etc. with potentially nasty results.

britlude
10-05-2007, 09:32 PM
You can respray cars? is your X a fixed roof or targa? Finally I see you are now a "platinum member"? was that earned for services to the club or something else? I would like to become a Gold member personally, but I will not be mentioning cash for honours either! ;)

i paint for just me, too much grief when others involved! mine is a fixed roof, so removed b post covers (How much do they weigh???? no wonder the yanks go mad for the carbon ones!) and the front pillar garnishes, and painted them as well as the roof. i did toy with the idea of colouring the roof, but decided i prefered the black look.

by the way, after searching nsxprime for the black colour code, i took it to the paintshop, and after the little man disappeared into the mixing room, came back declaring it the easiest paint to mix, as it was straight off their paint system, with nothing added! so the black roof is just that, BLACK!

as for the platinum member... i contributed the the financial upkeep of this forum, and that is my reward!!

WhyOne?
11-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Finally how do you remove bird crap & flies from the treated bodywork? :D

If the car has a good coat of clean wax, bird ****e and bugs just wipe off with a damp microfibre cloth (if either are dried on, spray with water, leave for 10 mins. then gently wipe off).

TheSebringOne
12-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Sorry without sounding daft, is a micro fibre cloth just a good quality cloth, tightly knitted & does'nt loose fluff. Is that the same as polishing cloths made with superfine premium cotton? Sorry for being particular! :rolleyes:

britlude
12-05-2007, 07:57 AM
it is a particular type of cloth that doesn't scratch! it's weird in that it 'grips' the skin on your hands, well, it does mine! it is good stuff, and not just old T-shirts!

TheSebringOne
12-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Ok, will waltz in to Halfords & pretend that I know I'm talking about, will also get some of those washing mitts too !

sportyking
12-05-2007, 07:13 PM
you guys are lucky, I haven't seen my car for over three weeks and I will not know if I will get it back in time until Wednesday. In the words of the factory "we are hopeful" :(